23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
After you trip over it a few times you will rethink that. The slider track will stop water going in.

Those were my thoughts when I saw that, going to be a real trip hazard. Wait till momma gets in there in her flip flops and stubs her toe on there,, you’ll be sorry brother, big time lol.

Any thoughts on a bi-fold idea?

IMG_0725.jpeg

The time is coming fast to start thinking about pod and engines (single/twins). I would like to get the boat to the island and back before the weather changes too nasty. So looking for help to decide on a pod builder with lots of knowledge and experience specifically with Hourston's...

I added 2" to port bulkhead before I glassed and gel the panel today so the door can open fully without obstruction.

IMG_0725.jpeg

Last edited:
@Rayvon I would like to keep the wood grain look on the inside ONLY, can I just resin it or is there a different product I should be looking at to seal and protect?

IMG_0726.jpeg

I would contact John from Hindsight Charters in Port Renfrew. I know he is going through some health issues unfortunately but he has been running his 26' for a lot of years now. I'm not sure if his pod was a Hourston built one or not. He has run twin Suzuki 140's.....150's and now 200's with a 9.9 Yamaha kicker and the boat always looks great when its running or sitting at the dock. I'd say he has his pod dialed in and the best that I've seen. That being said there is a young guy that had a 26' done last winter and is only two slips down from me. I think it may have been done at Pearson in Sooke? It has twin 225 Yamahas on it and still sits nice in the water. I don't think he was planning on going that big but a deal on used ones came along during the build. He also went with a forward sloping cabin and in my opinion on that hull it's very nice.

I would contact John from Hindsight Charters in Port Renfrew. I know he is going through some health issues unfortunately but he has been running his 26' for a lot of years now. I'm not sure if his pod was a Hourston built one or not. He has run twin Suzuki 140's.....150's and now 200's with a 9.9 Yamaha kicker and the boat always looks great when its running or sitting at the dock. I'd say he has his pod dialed in and the best that I've seen. That being said there is a young guy that had a 26' done last winter and is only two slips down from me. I think it may have been done at Pearson in Sooke? It has twin 225 Yamahas on it and still sits nice in the water. I don't think he was planning on going that big but a deal on used ones came along during the build. He also went with a forward sloping cabin and in my opinion on that hull it's very nice.

I will contact John and see who done his, thx

There is a place in port alberni that does pods and in Bamfield if you call Breakers Marine and talk to Gordie he can give you his contact. Also Gordie is the guy to use for engines, stand up guy great support.

And a Self bailing deck to boot

I just found a pic of my old Grady, this was the first one, I owned 2 overnight'ers. Found it a tad bit rough... haha

EDIT
Although I didn't have trim tabs :(

Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 6.58.38 PM.png

Last edited:
How was the performance? Of the overnighter?

I found the 150 was way to light with 2 guys, it needed a 200 for optimal performance... but with one person it went along pretty good once up-on plane. I also found the cuddy a tad too small

The other one I owned, i think had a 175 and was a bit better...

Here is a pic of the little Whaler Montauk... :) Yep, that is Sydney :)

IMG_7920.JPG

Last edited:
My Moomba LSV...

723.jpg

My SeaRay... - mother-in-law :) sorry

413 (2).jpg

Back