Hook style for spoons

Fishdreamer

Crew Member
I'm replacing the old hooks on my spoons for the coming season. In the past I've always used open eye siwash hooks but this year I've accumulated a bunch of big river and octopus style hooks and am thinking of using them but worry that they might change the action on the spoons. Has anyone had experience or opinions with doing this?

I dont like octopus as they have an angle on the eye. If you don't use open eye you need to add a split ring which could change the action. No matter what way you go match the hook size too the spoon. The old rule was a 4/0 hook for a number 4 spoon and a 6/0 hook for a size 6 spoon ... etc. Some bait hooks are heavy so match accordingly. Personally go with swash hooks and use your other hooks for bait.

What do you guys think of VMC siwash? They seem to be what comes with a lot of lures and I have had decent luck with them.

I always give the hook point a tweak with a pair of pliers, so it's not parallel with the shank.

What do you guys think of VMC siwash? They seem to be what comes with a lot of lures and I have had decent luck with them.

I always give the hook point a tweak with a pair of pliers, so it's not parallel with the shank.

those are what I use on spoons. they will last much longer than other hooks without rusting. I quite like them

Back