Need a hand with salmon trolling

Don't bother with the copper wire, trying to short out the voltage. Use new stainless cable. Throw out any cable that has rust on it!!! using a voltmeter on a 3 volt scale, you can measure your wire voltage, btw wire and batt neg., when trolling at 2-4 mph. should be about 0.6 volts.
If you run the gear way back at 40' back, you should be behind the voltage field, the theory goes.
also, if using trim tabs, they should have zinc on them, and a light wire brush from a stainless brush is a good idea. The changing of your zincs on the 2 motors is a great idea.

Sounds like it was a voltage issue. You were doing everything correctly and had fish being caught around you, but not by your boat. Added some zincs and you caught fish. Probably makes sense to swap over to braid as well to help remove any further concerns about the voltage.

My boat catches 5 times as many fish after I re-wired the boat. Removed miles and miles of old wiring that wasn't even used for anything. But I also changed to braid at the same time so who knows what helped more. Whatever you do, don't just run a copper wire from your battery to the water LOL. And get a tape rule for your fish LOL

Back