Wtb: Islander MR2

So we decided to use the striker holders we use for Hali fishing. And I took the other rod holder off the other down rigger so nobody would use i
I have one like that where the teeth just fell off the actual rod holder. I think Scotty really needs to step up and admit there is a flaw in this style holder. Not like it was years of use either….. was half a season. I’ll post a pic in a week or so when I get back from work

They need to get rid of that stupid hand tightened bolt and use stainless through bolts as these are set and forget. Too much is being relied on plastic...and everyone still is holding onto their mr2s with both hands!
Yes I am, I still have one in mint condition that I keep as a spare, sorry bud not for sale, love them, sold 3 mr3 as I think the MR2 are the best they ever made. I did buy a pink MR2LA for the wife and love it

Last edited:
Yes I am, I still have one in mint condition that I keep as a spare, sorry bud not for sale, love them, sold 3 mr3 as I think the MR2 are the best they ever made. I did buy a pink MR2LA for the wife and love it

Tease. I have a pair of mr2s currently and will continue to hunt that the elusive 3rd, but in the meantime, i will pick up a mr2LA and give that a shot as my backup until one of you guys decides to part ways with an mr2.

Tease. I have a pair of mr2s currently and will continue to hunt that the elusive 3rd, but in the meantime, i will pick up a mr2LA and give that a shot as my backup until one of you guys decides to part ways with an mr2.
They are nice the MR2LA

I have the 3 different models of mr2s and 1 mr3, the mr2la is my favorite, youll love it

Funny you say this, I also sold a mint gold mr2 to a buddy when I found a minty pink mr2 for the sweetheart, still have he armr though, just never gets used now.

Lol of course I have to disagree. I owned an mr2la, decent reel yes but sold it, kind of defeats the purpose of a single action reel, may as well go merican and use a level wind. Still run an mr2 as that’s my original high end islander and will always own that reel. Awesome reels for sure but I did get an mr3 recently and I must say I like it much better than the mr2. Biggest reason is the drag setting. The mr2 you have to turn and turn to set the drag the mr3 is a much nicer drag setting. Very easy fine tuning. Unless the newer mr2’s are the same I do not know as mine is 15 years old. I do wish they would combine the two and have the free spool option on the mr3 though that is one thing. For me personally though I can see more mr3’s in my future.

Last edited:
Lol of course I have to disagree. I owned an mr2la, decent reel yes but sold it, kind of defeats the purpose of a single action reel, may as well go merican and use a level wind. Still run an mr2 as that’s my original high end islander and will always own that reel. Awesome reels for sure but I did get an mr3 recently and I must say I like it much better than the mr2. Biggest reason is the drag setting. The mr2 you have to turn and turn to set the drag the mr3 is a much nicer drag setting. Very easy fine tuning. Unless the newer mr2’s are the same I do not know as mine is 15 years old. I do wish they would combine the two and have the free spool option on the mr3 though that is one thing. For me personally though I can see more mr3’s in my future.
The MR2LA drag is identical. Plus it has the bigger knob so you're not fighting that silly little thing.

The MR2LA drag is identical. Plus it has the bigger knob so you're not fighting that silly little thing.
You know what guys I’m mixing the new mr2la with the older AR’s that were sold. That’s what I had and did not like it. Beings it has the free spool option yes I can see that being a very desirable reel.

Sorry I’ll shut up now.

Well you learn something everyday, my daughter was given a Black MR2 when she working up in Langara a few years ago. I have MR3’s but I just read these posts and picked up her rod and reel to find the free spool lever. The rod has been in my home office as I have been mostly using the MR3’s but I will have to give the MR2 a try now when jigging, great information.

I'm my case, it was one of the plastic garbage ones on stock 2106s as we were using my rods but on a buddy's boat. For my own I have stainless steel through bolt rocket launchers...anyway still searching for that new to me mr2!

Sorry to hear it, John, sucks when they go overboard...oops NM, read it too fast, nice save .
Had it been used much for trolling? Torque would have been minimal with the rod just sitting there while the boat was on plane.

Back