Folbe rod holders and Islander MR2 reels

rapid

Hey guys,
I just picked up some Folbe rod holders to mount on my boat but they don't fit with Islander reels very well? When the rod is in the Port side rod holder the reel's palming surface rests against the rod holder restricting the spool's rotation. On the Starboard side, the reel sits facing up pretty high so the rod eyes are almost pointing up. When you preload the rod in the down rigger, the rod is essentially preloaded sideways, can't be good for the spine in the rod.
I purchased these holders as I wanted a rod holder that held the rod above and below the reel seat so the preload wasn't hinging right on the reel seat area (like in the stantard rocket launcher style). This hinging has caused my reel seat to loosen off on me, don't want to loose a reel I'd likely drown trying to recover it! I'll post some picture so this makes more sense. Any one else run into this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Port side view
P1000740.jpg

Starboard side view
P1000739.jpg

Salmonlander,
Thanks for the message I'll do another search and see if I can find any ideas.

Rapid....is that a Bully in the bow??

I'm guessing you bought the std. Folbes and not the ones designed for fly reels. The fly reel ones would likely work better with the Islanders.

Morning,
You bet that's our pitbull, he goes fishing with us every time and if I don't set the prawn traps fast enough he'll pass out in them. Great breed just a bad rep from some of the #%^&head owners out there. The rod holders are the standard size, do you think the flyrod model would be strong enough? Been looking online for some photos or other ideas before I take these back.

All the Folbe stuff is pretty strong. I just don't know if the hole in them is big enough to fit the Islander. It would be best if you could get it out by taking the rod/reel combo to a store that carries the rod holders but I don't know of anyone who carries the fly rod Folbe stuff. Maybe give Folbe a call and ask.

I'm headed out on Thursday for some winters, I'll run 'em and see. Thanks for your
input guys.

If you go on the Folbe website there is a Youtube link with a quick video. I'm headed out tomorrow (finally...) to give these a try. I tried to post a couple pics earlier but got a message saying it had to be reviewed (or something) by a moderator? I usually use a photobucket link? Salmonlander thanks again for the link & information I found the photos with the MR3's at the end of the thread.

Caught three springs today, kept one. Love the Folbe's just took a little getting use to! Thanks again for the advise.

I am uncertain that I get this concept. Does anyone have some images or YouTube video that can help enlighten me as to how these puppies work. I am buying two rst reels in the morning and maybe these also.

Thanks
Dave

Hey Dave,
Funny I know a guy who was a big promoter of the Folbes rod holders and had some product testing video he did up himself. I will try to find it as it has been posted a few times on various sites. This same guy had a great website that is no longer around that had all kinds of cool tackle building video's, product testing video's, and just cool fishing video's. It's a shame the website isn't around anymore. Maybe you've heard of him. His name is RVP. You know the guy that has Tomic plug's named after him. He works at Pacific Net and Twine and I really enjoy bs'ing with him when I go in there. You might want to stop in and talk to him.

Oh yeah I hate that store (joking) as my wallet is always a lot lighter when I leave there :p:).

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Back