Wtb: Islander MR2

ab1752

Crew Member
Ok so my turn to be bitten by a failing scotty rocket launcher today that meant a lost MR2 and Trophy XL on the run out off Bowen this morning. If you are lucky enough to snag it you've caught yourself a great rig...meantime I need a minty MR2 so if you happen to have one collecting dust hit me up. I'm on the Lower Mainland and Sunshine Coast.

Seems those guys who run safety lines to their rigs are onto something although I'm not sure that would have done much good at 30 knots in a lumpy sea...cheers!

Last edited:
That’s about the 5 islander reel and rod to go over the side that I’ve heard about on the forum. I’m going to quit using the rod holders on mine. Wondering on how many other rod and reel combos have gone over to failed rod holders on the Scotty riggers? Sure hope Scotty comes up with something better.

That’s about the 5 islander reel and rod to go over the side that I’ve heard about on the forum. I’m going to quit using the rod holders on mine. Wondering on how many other rod and reel combos have gone over to failed rod holders on the Scotty riggers? Sure hope Scotty comes up with something better.
Exactly why I have 4 Scotty Striker holders on my boat now, not a big fan but they won’t break!

All theses post have made me paranoid, even though I have used boom mounted rod holders since they were invented without a problem.

Funny thing is, this boat has a ton of rocket launchers on the deck but I just did the easy way out...mine on the boom are stainless with a bolt locking them in place and I use the flush mount across the transom. Anyway just a bit of bad luck, no one hurt so all good from that perspective.

Funny thing is, this boat has a ton of rocket launchers on the deck but I just did the easy way out...mine on the boom are stainless with a bolt locking them in place and I use the flush mount across the transom. Anyway just a bit of bad luck, no one hurt so all good from that perspective.
About 4 years ago my son and I were fishing off Beal. H my son went to check his gear ,as he went to grab his rod the rod holder on the rigger broke off. He managed to grab his rod. The rod holder went into the water. That would of been a expensive one. A sage rod and islander reel :(

About 4 years ago my son and I were fishing off Beal. H my son went to check his gear ,as he went to grab his rod the rod holder on the rigger broke off. He managed to grab his rod. The rod holder went into the water. That would of been a expensive one. A sage rod and islander reel :(

Nice save!!! At least in my case, it was the Trophy that the butt end was torqued on, now I don't have to glue my fingers together with 2 part epoxy in my efforts to fix it!

Ok bumppppp...one of you guys has a mint gold (or otherwise) MR2 collecting dust that you want to sell to me.

I spoke to scotty about this issue and they deny they have a problem. Their response was they sell thousands of downriggers year after year and perhaps a handful out of thousands experience this issue. Poor response in my opinion from a company that otherwise has great customer service and makes good products.

Why don't they upgrade the entire plastic assembly that holds the rod holder in place on the boom? Stainless or even machined aluminum would solve the issue. Or at the very least beef up that plastic neck to 50% larger for more strength.

So we were out fishing off Danvers yesterday, my son and granddaughters. He went to reset his line and was reeling down on to get some tension on his rod when the rod holder snapped off . Good thing he had one hand on the rod. There would of been another islander and sage rod on the bottom of the ocean.

Ok so my turn to be bitten by a failing scotty rocket launcher today that meant a lost MR2 and Trophy XL on the run out off Bowen this morning. If you are lucky enough to snag it you've caught yourself a great rig...meantime I need a minty MR2 so if you happen to have one collecting dust hit me up. I'm on the Lower Mainland and Sunshine Coast.

Seems those guys who run safety lines to their rigs are onto something although I'm not sure that would have done much good at 30 knots in a lumpy sea...cheers!

Let me guess on of those new stainless rocket launchers right?

Never broken one badly. Replaced one with a tiny crack after 15 years use, including halibut anchoring

Attachments

• 7EAFA122-12F0-4927-BB56-934DD9AA9161.jpeg
    7EAFA122-12F0-4927-BB56-934DD9AA9161.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 91

I'm my case, it was one of the plastic garbage ones on stock 2106s as we were using my rods but on a buddy's boat. For my own I have stainless steel through bolt rocket launchers...anyway still searching for that new to me mr2!

Sorry to hear it, John, sucks when they go overboard...oops NM, read it too fast, nice save .

Last edited:
Never broken one badly. Replaced one with a tiny crack after 15 years use, including halibut anchoring
Lol, same here, add some on my old downrigger 15 plus years never ad one fail, some on my newer ones that came with the boat and still in one piece, use them for Hali too, drag is back off on my reel just to prevent the creep,when a fish hits line peels off, touch wood none break off. Between the flex in the rod and the drag doing it’s job it’s hard to believe they actually break off if your doing your part, you would think the rod would snap in 2 before the holder snaps, but I guess not. Hope karma don’t catch up up to us Ace

So we decided to use the striker holders we use for Hali fishing. And I took the other rod holder off the other down rigger so nobody would use it

Attachments

• 47529931-F437-49EF-A749-8D2C18968AA8.jpeg
    47529931-F437-49EF-A749-8D2C18968AA8.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 2FC7FB07-470F-4A84-A6EF-28676CF50728.jpeg
    2FC7FB07-470F-4A84-A6EF-28676CF50728.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 67373F3A-7983-4C96-9F58-608F73D560A7.jpeg
    67373F3A-7983-4C96-9F58-608F73D560A7.jpeg
    366.1 KB · Views: 136
Lol, same here, add some on my old downrigger 15 plus years never ad one fail, some on my newer ones that came with the boat and still in one piece, use them for Hali too, drag is back off on my reel just to prevent the creep,when a fish hits line peels off, touch wood none break off. Between the flex in the rod and the drag doing it’s job it’s hard to believe they actually break off if your doing your part, you would think the rod would snap in 2 before the holder snaps, but I guess not. Hope karma don’t catch up up to us Ace
I’m with you brutus, my drag is set just enough to stop line creep and that’s it. I run 10’6 rods in order to get good rod relief and hook set.
I can’t see how a line clip would even hold hard enough to snap a holder, it’s got me baffled. But I will say, I have never liked the looks of those rocket launcher rod holders. Just looking at them you can see there is an out of proportion leverage issue with them.

So we decided to use the striker holders we use for Hali fishing. And I took the other rod holder off the other down rigger so nobody would use it
See that rod holder on the far right of your third pic? That’s the ticket right there. Too many positives and no real negatives to not using those 30 degree flush mount holders. Give it a try sometime.

See that rod holder on the far right of your third pic? That’s the ticket right there. Too many positives and no real negatives to not using those 30 degree flush mount holders. Give it a try sometime.
Ya we use the back rod holders quite a lot. We just gave the strikers a go for trolling

I almost lost my rod last week on one of these new stainless garbage launchers. I was just super lucky that the line stayed in the clip.
I looked at the Orca holder and didn’t like the amount of torque and bend that I was seeing, so switched to the stainless launcher and after 5 minutes it went kaboom!! Would’ve been an expensive accident with a TMX5 on a G Loomis. I throw the other one in the garbage when back at the dock.

1629058341221.png

Back