Winter Reports Sooke and Victoria 2008/2009

Fished Pedder and Whirl Bay this morning. Nothing in Pedder. However, Christopher Point was cooperative. Hooked 2 landed 1 @ 7 pounds and had another strike. All on strip with mini flasher and the fly rod on the downrigger.

Fished the waterfront today. One strike right on the change , managed to get him in the boat 13lb "wild" chinook. Right on the bottom 140' coyote spoon.

quote:Originally posted by jimbob

Fished Pedder and Whirl Bay this morning. Nothing in Pedder. However, Christopher Point was cooperative. Hooked 2 landed 1 @ 7 pounds and had another strike. All on strip with mini flasher and the fly rod on the downrigger.

Hey Jimbob, do you have a pic or a link to this miniflasher you use? I want to try my flyrod setup for this as well.

The flashers are on the boat so I don't have any pictures. I use two different minis. One is frosted with a red trim. The other is a betsy. Both are about 1/2 the size of a normal flasher. I also use the normal hootchies or squirts with a short 22 inch leader or strip with a 3 foot leader. Both setups seem to work well for me.

I get the flashers from Trotec.

Even with a small flasher doesn't the tip still vibrate like crazy? What weight fly rod, and quality? How easy are you setting it in the clip, ever broken a light weight rod popping it off the clip? A few of the nightmares that have happened to me, obviously not doing it right, can't be bothered.

I once trolled with a small trout rod in Pedder for winters...put up some good fights...that resulted two small shiny winters. 1 keeper. the small rod didn't pop out from the downrigger clip..the rod's tip shooked well.

Any luck out there Beemer ??
Between the wind and waves i was getting bounced all over the place.+
Made for uncomfortable fishing so i packed it up at 11:30.

nothing for me [V]

I get very little vibration on the flyrods. I use 9 wt rods. I also ciip them into the downriggers very lightly so that I can pop them off easily but not so lightly that they spring off on their own. It takes a few times to get it right.

Got a nice 12lb fighter off Trial on a cop car style spoon right on the bottom on the slack. He had 3 very large herring in his belly. Little chunky but worth it. Hali tommorow!

well not much work lately ,so I have been putting in the hours at my other job ,fishing. Too bad the pay is lousy ,but it sure is fun.

did you see any herring balls around?

quote:Originally posted by beemer

Got a nice 12lb fighter off Trial on a cop car style spoon right on the bottom on the slack. He had 3 very large herring in his belly. Little chunky but worth it. Hali tommorow!

Hi Baz , No herring balls that I could see. It was pretty rough out though. The fish had 3 big fresh herring in his belly though. Are you the guy with the blue cooler at OB Marina?

3 herring, thats a hungry fish,
what kinda depth were you fishing?
and yeah im in B4 with the blue cooler... say hi next time you see me.
baz

quote:Originally posted by beemer

Hi Baz , No herring balls that I could see. It was pretty rough out though. The fish had 3 big fresh herring in his belly though. Are you the guy with the blue cooler at OB Marina?

Fished for hali off Albert Head form 630am to 1130am, nothing. Trolled for some winter springs of the breakwater/gravel pit until 2pm, hit 1 8 lber at 1230pm on a green glo spoon/red glow hot spot, 160 ft of water. Marked a few haystacks, the fish had 1 herring in its gut. Back out this morning.....

fished Clover 12:30 to 3:00 today, nothing till about 2:30
and then hit 2- 8.5lb clones within 20mins.
They only wanted the glow hootchie today and the guts were empty.
165-180' on the downrigger.

good one Scott, looks like tommorow will be a washout with the wind. Hali on Sunday hopefully.

Hit one of Brotchie yesterday, lost it, saw one other fish caught there as well. Green glo on bottom, 140ft.

Back