Where on the Island is best?

X2 on Chemanius area. Quiet, nice quality homes at a reasonable price. Reasonably good fishing, crabbing, prawning and oysters. And a much better road to Renfrew. Not too far from Victoria and the rest of the Island.

I would choose Sooke. But I am Biased. I live in Metchosin but were out of your price-range!

Sooke is great my Mom moved there a few years ago and she loves it!

-KK

Sooke is the place if you just want Salmon and occasional halibut. Weather is cooler in summer with occasional fog but great salmon fishing.

Chemainus / Saltaire--great boat ramps with free parking and little to none crime. 6 marinas/great Hospital in Duncan with labs/xray in Chemainus-All the big box shopping your wife will find convenient-best prawning on the Island-Idle no more does not seem to go north of Crofton!Gas is cheaper than most on the Island-why- I have no idea. Great airport with direct flights to Vancouver or Calgary via Westjet or Air Canada.Two ferries within 15 minutes. Country living at it's finest with no traffic and very little crime! You won't feel like you moved to Dogpatch-LOL> (left myself open-flame away!)

I cover the island as a sales rep from Nanaimo and it is about 1:20mins to cenral victoria. The main boat launch (Brechin) is great and the fishing is decent. Also it is relatively central if you want to tow to Port Alberni to go west coasting, or head up to French Creek, or down to Porlier, galliano area. Housing price are decent as well, with now being a good time to buy. Also it has everything the wife could want as far as restaurants/shopping etc.

something to maybe also consider - weather...

Nanaimo/Ladysmith/Duncan - a bit cooler (2-3 degrees) than south island in the winter with some more snow generally.

this area is generally 3-4 degrees warmer in the summer though too, which is great!

Thanks for all the info guys,keep it coming, this is helping me get to know the Island allready and ridding me of some preonceived ideas.

Don't get excited to buy,, if you can wait another year. The way things are going in BC and everything is for sale the price has been dropping nicely for a couple years now. Everyone is moving to Alberta to work in our dirty oil industry. Hold out if you can for a while longer your dollar will stretch even farther,, it's what us Albertans are doing. We are selling our homes here and buying the cheap houses out there lol..

Thanks guys this is great, it looks like Sooke or Mill bay thru to Chemainus, possibly inland a bit perhaps Shawniganlake, there is quite a lot in or price range. If we can get a decent offer on our house here we will come over and camp until we find something.

Have a look at Sidney.. Close to Vic with a launch close by. Fishing,prawning and crabbing at your door step. Houses are expensive, but you can find the odd fixer up'r.

Have a look at Sidney.. Close to Vic with a launch close by. Fishing,prawning and crabbing at your door step. Houses are expensive, but you can find the odd fixer up'r.

Thanks for the suggestion, we visited this area last year, its not for me, too flat and too many people, would suit the wife tho. I like to have some mountains, forest and wilderness close by. Fixer upper yes, I might be retired but far from incapeable lol

Back