Where on the Island is best?

Nigels

Sorry guys for such a wild question, not trying to start something, but the Admiral has got it into her head that she wants to live within an hour and a halfs drive of Victoria. Dont ask!

My question is, where is the best place to live, best bang for the buck for property, views and most importantly where I can launch the boat where fishing is good or best. We are retired so work is not an issue.

So a blank sheet of paper....maybe I should be looking at this as an opportunity, where would you guys consider if you had the choice and or where should I avoid?

Hi,

There are launches in most areas on the Island I guess specifics would help everyone help you. What price range, community type ie rural or not. How big of a piece of property would be ideal, do you care if your on a well and have septic or do you desire services lot side. Do you want to start from scratch and build new what kind of a subdivision newer or older flavor doesn't matter? There are so many variables some filters may help with responses especially budget. Good luck in your search.

Hi,

There are launches in most areas on the Island I guess specifics would help everyone help you. What price range, community type ie rural or not. How big of a piece of property would be ideal, do you care if your on a well and have septic or do you desire services lot side. Do you want to start from scratch and build new what kind of a subdivision newer or older flavor doesn't matter? There are so many variables some filters may help with responses especially budget. Good luck in your search.

Where Fishing is best is a priority, I don't want to buy and then discover that I have to haul the boat 100kms everytime I want to fish. $500K max on the house, rural or newer sub, land size is not important except space for boat and RV. Well and Septic is good. 5 Minutes to local stores would be good so Rural okay but not out in the sticks. We would consider living in the RV while we have something built.

Sooke seems to be your best bet with all the requirements. Close enough to Vic and has good enough fishing. Good luck with finding a place! Beautiful part of the world to live in!

given the criteria, i would suggest either Sooke or Nanaimo/Ladysmith.

I state the second option due to good options for travel (air/ferry) back to mainland, etc. close to outdoors in central/north island yet 90 mins from victoria. however, decent fishing out front off Nanaimo and as Sylvan says, Ladysmith has good prawns and cruising.

One of my favourite parts of being in nanaimo is the closeness to Port Alberni for our sockeye fishing and then options and constant access to boating/fishing Barkley Sound (1 hour from my door to launching in alberni).

cheers.

oh ya, and i almost forgot - although not super cheap, can get some nice property or housing for your budget up this way!

Dont come to the Comox Valley--- Nothing to see here-- move along....we're full..........

Nanaimo has decent fishing but not as good as Sooke for sure. I don't mind as I usually end up with one or two each trip out and it's only 20 mins from my front door to rods in the water. But being able to tow my boat out to the west coast is always a bit more fun. If you decide on Nanaimo and need a Realtor send me a PM and i would be happy to show you a few places.

I would seriously look at Port Alberni. Ok, it's more like 2.5 hours from Victoria but I assume shopping and hospital maybe the objective here and that you can find in Nanaimo too. PA offers so much outdoorsy stuff, has a great summers, mountains and good fresh and salt fishing. Hard to beat IMO.

So is fishing out of Chemainus no good? Port Alberni is too far for the wife. 1-1/2 hours from Vic is absolute max. Is Nanaimo/Parksville within 1-1/2 hours?

Its OK..Crofton is close by... If she works from Vic don't go past Duncan you guys will hate it when winter rolls in..... Used to commute Duncan to Vic everyday...

BTW If I had a choice I would up there as well in Ukee or Tofino...I love it up there.

West coast is awsome but not for the Admiral, Whats at Crofton? Is the weather North of Duncan much worse n Winter?

I agree with Shawnigan Lake or mill bay. I go to crofton for prawns and renfrew for springs and halibut. Cow bay also has a decent ramp. My parents have been in Chemainus since the 50's and ill tell you now if you have children there isn't much there for them!! It's a retiree community, as you can tell by the speed limit of 30km!! Slow enough that they can drive their walkers the same speed your going.

The weather is the same until you get to Campbell River or west past Port Alberni. Invest in good rain gear and call it liquid sunshine. Keep us posted as you look for a community.

east coast van isl is very different than the left coast... large decision as to exposure to different weather patterns being the biggest factor in these decisions. fair weather ecvi,, fishing and awesome differnt kinds of weather sooooke!!!! or anywhere on the west coast. as you stated PA is too far... SOOOOKE!!! the drive from vic is beeeuuty ....

Back