CORDERO CHANNEL—-TRANSITING THE RAPIDS

Some guys are adventure seakers and will run the rapids and whirlpools for excitement. With fast boats with lots of power it's no real issue if you know your boat and how to manuver it like a pro. Most guys run their boats for a couple weeks a year. I for one have had my share of excitement. Now days I just roll with the tides and the punches even if it costs an extra day. Who's in a hurry.
Yep, tell that to my kids all the time, "He's in a rush, a rush to die!"
I am starting to understand why their teachers look at me funny at the parent teacher gigs.

I’ll admit to being a card-carrying member of the ...Please Lord, Let Me Live A Boring Life Club. That explains why I pester people with questions when I’m making plans to navigate places I don’t know.

I usually boat alone and I don’t like making quick nav decisions on the fly when in new waters. And I have a bone-fide case of PTSD from a really sketchy experience I had in Milbanke Sound a number of years ago. To this day, I get chills down my spine when I see waves falling over on themselves in any kind of wind.

Backstory: I got stuck in 3 to 4 meter seas for two solid hours. Nobody around and I’d passed the point of no return because the seas were way too large to back-track. It began to dawn on me there was a good chance I would lose the wheelhouse glass and either pitch-pole the boat or swamp...or both.

At one point I blurted out to the Lord: Dude, what ever happened to my paid-in-full membership in the Live a Boring Life Club?

His response: Dude, you decided to leave Klemptu knowing full well there was an ebb tide running full bore out of Finlayson Channel into a south-east blow. What did you expect?

I responded —-yeah but outlook was for 15 - 20 and I thought I’d be good. You ratcheted it up to 30 -35. What’s up with that?

He took the toothpick out of his mouth and looked me in the eye......Dude, you looked like the kind of guy that needed a bit of experience under his belt....it was my way of saying.... slow down

Yeah I've been to the point of no return twice. Last round I seen waves getting blown off every time I close my eyes. Didn't sleep for a couple days after. Not fun and it's dumb. Take your time. I'm not in a hurry. Like I said thrills seakers be thrill seakers. I'm not that's for damn sure.

Yeah I've been to the point of no return twice. Last round I seen waves getting blown off every time I close my eyes. Didn't sleep for a couple days after. Not fun and it's dumb. Take your time. I'm not in a hurry. Like I said thrills seakers be thrill seakers. I'm not that's for damn sure.
Glad to see your talking about it. Helps with healing.

Glad to see your talking about it. Helps with healing.
If this was Florida we'd be worried about sharks, here we have about 10 min to swim before hypo kicks in. Maybe 15. Goo luck swimming when it's that rough out. Eperb boys eperb!

We ran the Channel with an ebb last summer and it was great fun. (30 foot Sea Ray). Very pretty scenery and a quick trip through. Coming back was boring - following J.S. back to C.R. for fuel.

Back