CORDERO CHANNEL—-TRANSITING THE RAPIDS

Sharphooks

I’m thinking of leaving the trailer in my driveway this summer and doing an all-water trip to Port Hardy.

Just to pace myself and turn the trip into a bit more of an adventure I’m thinking of taking Cordero Channel instead of Discovery Passage once I get to Campbell River

I realize that the prudent mariner waits for slack tide to navigate the four rapids in Cordero. The question for guys who have done this: Are they best powered through on the high slack or low slack, or it doesn’t matter?.....and if you time it correctly, can all the rapids be transited in one shot or is there a fair amount of wait-time to get through each one to dial back the excitement? Trying to get an idea of the distances between each one and the tide-change timing to take them on one by one

I see vids of guides blasting through them at what appears to be full flood /ebb conditions...I guess that’s fine if you know the water and know where you should be relative to the shore line etc. I’ve done lots of Class III/IV in rivers under power but never having to dodge trees and other boats

I’m just looking to be a bit better prepared...not much info out there other then....”always make your move at slack tide”....

Also, question No. 2:

how much difference in nautical miles are there between sticking with the Discovery Passage/Johnstone Strait route as opposed to going north of Sonora and doing Chanellor and Cordero Channels?

thanks!

I always go through Dent. I have always hit high slack. It's a beauty cruise and way better then the Johnstone. Poke out top of Hardwicke. You'll probly run into the school of dolphins, they are alot of fun.

With your boat if you hit the Ukes at slack or just before turn to ebb you can get through all of them. The worst ones are at the start of the trip north. If they are running there is pathways through to avoid the worst of the whirlpools. There is only about 5 KM difference and there are some must see stops on the way.

Google Yorke Island. It's a worthwhile stop. This is all my backyard so if you are wanting to explore on your way up we can talk. If your just running through on a quick trip up that's great too. It is all in the timing. It's a beautiful coast.... all of it.

We have done both routes and have preferred the cordero side to Johnstone Strait. Moving water is better to standing waves. It is easily done in one shot.

Yeah I agree, Johnstone is pretty boring and always windy around seyward. Yes there's good days, however why not travel through the inside islands? it really is a special place. If you poke out at hardwicke ( Yorke like said above) you cut the Johnstone in half or more. Manually map out a course on navionics and compare the milage. It's really not that different. If your coming from Vancouver, it's nice alot of times to travel on the east side of texada, because in the summer that little northwest that comes and goes is not nice in the middle of the straight. Almost flat calm on the east side. Better scenery too. Which give you a good entry to the islands just west of Cortez

In our smaller gillnetters, we always ran the inside. Not sure if there is still fuel at Lund, but we would top up there and head to Hardy.
As stated, we would hit Yacultas at high slack.

I take the Eaglecraft through the rapids at all times except extreme currents. There can be some large whirlpools which are to be avoided. But it is awesome boating.

With your boat if you hit the Ukes at slack or just before turn to ebb you can get through all of them. The worst ones are at the start of the trip north. If they are running there is pathways through to avoid the worst of the whirlpools. There is only about 5 KM difference and there are some must see stops on the way.

Thanks for the comments and guidance, Ship and S.B......so from this comment, heading north one generally wants to transit on the high slack, just before she ebb or are you just targeting either slack?

Any difference coming back south? I’ll investigate Yorke Island for sure

thanks again

If it's ebb it's no big deal. High or low. Especially in the summer when the ebbs are really nice during the day. Just grab a tide book and plan your trip.

Thanks for the comments and guidance, Ship and S.B......so from this comment, heading north one generally wants to transit on the high slack, just before she ebb or are you just targeting either slack?

Any difference coming back south? I’ll investigate Yorke Island for sure

thanks again
You want to ride the ebb north and the flood south. You can get over seven knots of push.

I did find this article in Canadian Yachting which seems to summarize the crossings in Cordero....seems like good info?

I did find this article in Canadian Yachting which seems to summarize the crossings in Cordero....seems like good info?

That's a good summary. In your boat, as long as you avoid max flow you will have no problems, but even max flow shouldn't be that big an issue.

We've run through here the last eight years and have never really worried about timing our passage with slack. Always nice if you can ride an ebb north and flood south to save a bit of time and fuel.

As others have said, avoid Boringstone, err... Johnstone Straight. The extra time to go the back or middle routes is worth it for better water conditions and scenery. Our favourite route when heading north is via Surge Narrows, Hole in the Wall, around the back of East and West Thurlow Islands (usually with a stop in Blind Channel for the night), Wellbore Channel, Havannah Channel, Chatham Channel to Baronet Passage. But is fun to try all the different variations through the Discovery Islands. We always stop in Port MacNeil before the run past Cape Caution. Better food, marinas, supplies and cheaper fuel than Port Hardy.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Last edited:
Lots of good info here Sharphooks. I personal would avoid max flood in any of rapids. Ive witnessed a 50’ Siene boat breach and roll over at Gillard island pass trying to break through the standing wave. Luckily no fatalities just some wet fisherman and total loss of the seine boat. As mentioned the ebb tide is the best at anytime of the ebb tide if heading north there is no issues and you will get a good push too. If heading south try to time the first push of the flood tide to get past Dent and Yuculta rapids. I recommend checking out Ramsey arm Franchise bay and then head up Bute inlet a little ways to Moh bay which is just south of Moh creek on your port side heading up the inlet both are good anchorages. You may even want to try a bucktail in the kelp bed at Moh bay. If you go a shore at Moh keep an eye out for black bears there are a few around. Just keep to the south end of Stuart island so you don’t have to deal with Arran rapids which are tough navigating on both tides. Also, a stop in at Shoal bay on the east side of east Thurlow island is worth a look lots cool history. There is usually fuel at Lund, Refuge cove and Blind channel.

Good luck enjoy the area.
PM me if you want anymore details.

I look forward to your detailed stories upon return.

Cheers,
Scott

I’m thinking of leaving the trailer in my driveway this summer and doing an all-water trip to Port Hardy.

Just to pace myself and turn the trip into a bit more of an adventure I’m thinking of taking Cordero Channel instead of Discovery Passage once I get to Campbell River

I realize that the prudent mariner waits for slack tide to navigate the four rapids in Cordero. The question for guys who have done this: Are they best powered through on the high slack or low slack, or it doesn’t matter?.....and if you time it correctly, can all the rapids be transited in one shot or is there a fair amount of wait-time to get through each one to dial back the excitement? Trying to get an idea of the distances between each one and the tide-change timing to take them on one by one

I see vids of guides blasting through them at what appears to be full flood /ebb conditions...I guess that’s fine if you know the water and know where you should be relative to the shore line etc. I’ve done lots of Class III/IV in rivers under power but never having to dodge trees and other boats

I’m just looking to be a bit better prepared...not much info out there other then....”always make your move at slack tide”....

Also, question No. 2:

how much difference in nautical miles are there between sticking with the Discovery Passage/Johnstone Strait route as opposed to going north of Sonora and doing Chanellor and Cordero Channels?

thanks!

Most of the warnings on BC tidal rapids are meant for slow or sail boats.
We have never considered tides in that area.
The only exceptions I know of would be Skookumchuck or Nakwatko.
They can be scary.
Hammer down!!!

Most of the warnings on BC tidal rapids are meant for slow or sail boats.
We have never considered tides in that area.
The only exceptions I know of would be Skookumchuck or Nakwatko.
They can be scary.
Hammer down!!!
To each their own.
I have full respect for the rapids around Sonora, Stuart and Dent island especially on the flood tide. In last 30 years I can count on both hands near misses, man overboard situations, engine trouble senarios and sadly a drowning with no body recovery. All from high powered boats not from sail boats and seine boats.

Usually first light is your best bet. You only need to go from Forward harbour to Havannah Channel which is 20NM. The worst weather will be out in front of Sayward.
oh believe me i know. Helmcken Island was almost my gravesite. i’m more referring to the scenery. it’s kinda boring. having said that spent all my summers in and around Eve River / Naka Creek / Robson Bight. best memories. mind you i almost died there too! 😂 my dad wasn’t exactly a mariner

Some guys are adventure seakers and will run the rapids and whirlpools for excitement. With fast boats with lots of power it's no real issue if you know your boat and how to manuver it like a pro. Most guys run their boats for a couple weeks a year. I for one have had my share of excitement. Now days I just roll with the tides and the punches even if it costs an extra day. Who's in a hurry.

Back