What's for dinner tonight ?

New BarBee is being put through her paces, and is really shining.

Last night's Bob's...

THGeSSe.jpg

Cheers,
Nog
Looks like that will kick out some decent BTUs! Is that propane or natural gas?

Neopolitan Pizza Night. I used this dough recipe. It only takes a few minutes, but three days to ferment. Close to the real deal, but our oven only goes to 500*F. 900 would be even better. We slide it on to a $3.00 18 X 18 tile from the Re-Store that has been well preheated.
pizza1 (2).jpg

I used the last package of venison that Nog gifted me in the summer to make this. It was round steak thinly sliced then sprinkled with a tsp of baking soda then rinsed, then marinated in ginger, garlic, soy and black pepper sauce. Very tender. I will have to take up hunting or gaff one in my front yard when they come for the plants.Venison chow mein.jpg

A good Friend of mine is from the Balkans. Recently he shared his family's secret marinade recipe. It is rather unique, so I simply had to give it a try.

The Recipe (shared with permission):

Milo’s Marinade

Ingredients

- Onion juice (one onion is enough). You can squeeze juice from an onion using any crusher. All you need is the equivalent of ~ two tablespoons

- 5 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil

- 1 tablespoon of natural balkan style yogurt at at least 2% fat - can substitute with sour cream, although yogurt is better.

- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed

- A few drops of apple cider vinegar

- 2 tablespoons of milk

- half a teaspoon freshly ground pepper

- half a teaspoon of salt

Directions

Mix all ingredients well, let them rest for a half hour for flavours to interact with one another. Put steaks in a suitable tupperware container and pour in the marinade. Coat the steaks thoroughly, by turning them a couple of times in the marinade. Refrigerate. The longer the steaks stay in the marinade, the tenderer they get. I find anywhere between 6 and 24 hours works perfectly. Take them out a couple hours before BBQ time for steaks to reach room temperature.

Marinade Concocted, two whitetail round steaks as the test subjects:

gtSGOVA.jpg

Splashdown:

KkgOySy.jpg

Flipped them and rolled them around frequently over the next 24 hours, then out of the fridge for a couple hours and ready for the grill:

Bjwpf6P.jpg

IZbqfN6.jpg

Got the BarBee smoking hot:

0q2iLuh.jpg

Quick Sear both sides:

vczvCZ5.jpg

Then onto the warming rack to finish (accent on the rare part of medium rare):

XYmg8wl.jpg

Perfection:

MltZVKd.jpg

Served with Four Cheese Risotto, a great tossed salad with avo, and an uber fine Red:

ROpbuDT.jpg

These steaks turned out as tender as any tenderloin I have ever eaten, and they were outside rounds! Flavour was excellent, very juicy and overall quite wonderful!

This is something we WILL be trying again!

Cheers,
Nog

Baby Back Ribs, dusted with Spicy Mesquite & garlic, wrapped tightly in tinfoil overtop of some orange slices and sent to the 400 degree oven for an hour:

wkEyNuk.jpg

Then onto the grill for a finishing smoke (hickory):

m3wmRDm.jpg

Served with Dirty Mexican Beans and Rice (spiced up with a little chili pepper) and Spare Gooses:

kT2JAXk.jpg

The rice was a little on the warm side, so the fine Red came in rather handy...

QjAbEh5.jpg

Doing the ribs this way ensures the tenderest, most juicy ribs you can imagine. This time they were Awesome once again!

Cheers,
Nog

@IronNoggin Another way to keep them very moist is I put a rub on them and let them sit overnight in the fridge. Then phase 1 of the cooking I take a broiler pan that has a rack on it and I pour a beer and a bit of apple cider vinegar in the bottom of the pan. Put the rack on with the ribs and then tent it sealed up well in tinfoil for a few hours around 275. Once they come out I baste with my home made BBQ sauce and finish them on the Q.

Last edited:
The 3:2:1 is how I do my ribs now. Only way less time for each, that's just what it's called. Smoke for 2-3 hours, foil and add sauce and throw back in the smoker or oven for 1-2 hours and then high heat charcoal with a finish sauce for 20 minutes.

Last edited:
The 3:2:1 is how I do my ribs now. Only way less time for each, that's just what it's called. Smoke for 2-3 hours, foil and add sauce and throw in the oven for 1-2 hours and then high heat charcoal with a finish sauce for 20 minutes.
I’ve been doing mine the same way. Turn out great!

F4D00601-E7EB-4587-9431-074188760655.jpeg
Put the healthy eating and diet on ‘pause’. Lol

Pulled Pork tater tot nachos with all the usual assorted sides.
A good dose of smoked cheese on the first layer to add another layer of flavour.

Definitely not a healthy meal but gotta live life on the edge.9D70CECC-D9E1-4CB3-AE40-2F6502C51BE9.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 63336
Put the healthy eating and diet on ‘pause’. Lol

Pulled Pork tater tot nachos with all the usual assorted sides.
A good dose of smoked cheese on the first layer to add another layer of flavour.

Definitely not a healthy meal but gotta live life on the edge.View attachment 63337
Well damn....looks like I know what I’m making this weekend!

West Coast albacore bonked by our neighbor during the tofino tuna shootout last sept...he finally threw a nice loin over the fence, they only pulled 900 lbs so he figured he could spare one haha...

Attachments

• 20210320_202530_resized.jpg
    20210320_202530_resized.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 20210320_201828_resized.jpg
    20210320_201828_resized.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 60
West Coast albacore bonked by our neighbor during the tofino tuna shootout last sept...he finally threw a nice loin over the fence, they only pulled 900 lbs so he figured he could spare one haha...
It's just such a great protein that needs so little.

Back