1 cup brown sugar
5 TBSP soya sauce
1 lemon thinly sliced and seeded
1.5 ounces of fresh ginger ( grated )
1.5 cups of Chili sauce - Heinz bottle
2 TBSP dried mustard
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 garlic clove minced ( generous size )

Bring all the ingredients up to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often.

Then add 2 TBSP of butter and 1 TBSP of lemon juice to the sauce, salt to taste and simmer another 3 minutes ( or longer to reduce and thicken )
Strain and store in glass jar in the fridge - keeps several weeks.

*We have just pulled out the lemon slices without straining depending on what it's used for. ( ribs or pulled pork )
It's a little chunkier without straining.

Last edited:
Rack of Lamb on the BarBee:

x6DxlrJ.jpg

jZqHQjz.jpg

Served up with three cheese pasta and a hearty home-made sauce, fresh garden salad with avo, and an excellent red:

IPBJMG6.jpg

Fine Stuff!!
Nog

First ever attempt at smoked beef jerky yesterday. A little too spicy for my liking but I am sure the grandkids will eat it anyway. Have another sirloin tip available so I will tone it down a bit next time.
Beef jerky is pretty much a staple in my fridge. I actually really like the cross rib roasts that go on sale at thriftys. I prefer the long (insert proper word here) strips of the meat, it’s not the grain it’s how it is butchered but I’m not a butcher. Wolf would probably know the word. I have made plenty of sirloin tip but honestly the cheaper cuts make a better product. Not saying yours isn’t the bomb but maybe try another cut. Also I’m game for your spice recipe..:::I haven’t found one spicy enough for me yet.

Attachments

• D3C0D701-E96E-44C8-B256-87D75A289684.jpeg
    D3C0D701-E96E-44C8-B256-87D75A289684.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 24
Beef jerky is pretty much a staple in my fridge. I actually really like the cross rib roasts that go on sale at thriftys. I prefer the long (insert proper word here) strips of the meat, it’s not the grain it’s how it is butchered but I’m not a butcher. Wolf would probably know the word. I have made plenty of sirloin tip but honestly the cheaper cuts make a better product. Not saying yours isn’t the bomb but maybe try another cut. Also I’m game for your spice recipe..:::I haven’t found one spicy enough for me yet.
I had no idea GB of what cut was best suited for Beef Jerky but Safeway has sirloin tip on for $3.99 per pound so I bought some. Sale ends tomorrow. I was thinking flank but way too expensive for a first attempt. As per usual the web was all over the place for suggestions. Any input would be muchly appreciated now that I have had a go at it and looking for any best practices.
Here is the recipe I used . Good except a I think I loaded too much chili flakes for my liking.

Ingredients​

• 3 pounds round steak
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 3/4 cup beer, IPA
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup worcestershire
  • 2 tsp garlic salt
  • 2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp curing salt, optional

Some grub from this past couple weeks.

Wet marinated then dry rubbed smoked pork shoulder pulled pork poutine and pulled pork/homemade coleslaw burger, homemade cold smoked apple thyme bacon, and home made waffles with homemade maple syrup, homemade bacon and neighbors free range farm eggs.

20210214_100747.jpg

20210214_220033.jpg

20210215_202601.jpg

20210227_090945.jpg

Slicing up some homemade wet brined maple syrup/brown sugar/herbs cold apple wood smoked pork belly bacon
20210227_094559.jpg

Vacpacked homemade wet brined apple juice reduction/thyme cold apple wood smoked bacon
20210214_100934.jpg

20210227_130453.jpg

20210227_130541.jpg

Last edited:
So, She Who Rules suggested we've been engulfing a little too much pasta (is there such a thing?), and suffering from a lack of veggies of late.

The answer: Stirred & Fried!

Took a couple steaks from our free range farmed pig, and marinated them in a combination of Korean BarBee Sauce and Spicy Mesquite (these two flavors are excellent together!):

EVxliyV.jpg

Choppy Whacky a bunch of veggies:

nApPr9x.jpg

Slice & Dice the steaks:

uL4zTyE.jpg

Stirred & fried:

Q7lZk1g.jpg

Then served over a bed of Basmati:

xM0pTw2.jpg

It was great washed down with a wonderful Red.
Likely Alberta Beef tonight methinks...

Cheers,
Nog

Yesterday was one of those rare ones that only come along every decade or so. For the past 12 or 13 years we have largely lived off of our Stainless Coleman Barbeque. And I nurtured it along, replacing grills and burners when required. But the frame had finally gotten close to fail time, so we set off to find it's replacement...

Given the tremendous luck we had with the last Coleman, that's of course what we focused on. Their new version of the Stainless Model has everything we were looking for, and is capable of converting between propane & gas (we are on gas for heat, so will be hooking this up direct soon).

So we spent the afternoon assembling the new Beast. To break it in, nothing less than a couple of well aged Alberta AAA Prime Rib Steaks would do! Only The Best my butcher buddy smiled as he handed them over. And without further adieu, the test run began:

Zr6bzcW.jpg

The Guests of Honor:

5wVTxpK.jpg

mGAvDBd.jpg

Served up with a light spinach pasta, spare gooses and a fine red.

rIvqzoJ.jpg

The new BarBee performed flawlessly, and the meal was of course a hit!

Suspect we'll be living high off the hog with this new addition for some time to come!

gDftutf.jpg

Cheers!
Nog

Second night with the new BarBee. Simply had to know how she would handle the smoking end of things. So...

Weird lighting effect in this picture:

m3dNrSE.jpg

And yep, she smokes like a dream:

jC1do1Z.jpg

Warmed up a little leftover seafood pasta (crabs, scallops & prawns in philly) to serve over Basmati:

zFWsRnE.jpg

Added in cheesy garlic toast and a fine Red:

a9E0g6i.jpg

And another successful trial run.
Really liking the new Toy!

Cheers,
Nog

Back