What to do with white spring

I found this recipe for White Springs several years ago and it is awesome.

2 fillets of ivory (white spring) salmon with skin (3 oz/85 g each)

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 tsp extra virgin olive oil (more for drizzling)

1 tsp butter

3 tbsp chanterelle mushrooms

4 – 5 g green onions (sliced)

6 sun gold tomatoes (cut in half)

20 ml white wine

60 ml vegetable stock

1 tbsp piri piri sauce

Method

Preheat oven to 500 F.

Season fillets with salt and pepper.

Heat a large non-stick (oven-safe) skillet on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, swirl to coat the pan and warm for 3 to 5 minutes.
Remove pan from heat and place salmon pieces skin side down. Do not flip the salmon.
Place the pan with the salmon in the top part of the oven for 6 to 8 minutes.
After 6 to 8 minutes, turn the oven to high broil and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
Remove from oven and place the salmon on a plate.
In the same pan, place butter, mushrooms, tomatoes and green onions. Season lightly with salt.
Place the pan on the stovetop and cook over medium-high heat until the mushrooms are tender.
Remove from heat. Deglaze with white wine, vegetable stock and piri piri.
Spoon the mushroom mixture and sauce over the salmon.
Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil over the fish and serve with fresh seasonal green vegetables.

You had me at chantrelles!!!!
Ha interesting, that’s the exact moment I scrolled away. And I glanced another few things after the mushrooms I haven’t heard of also which made me think it was too hard for me :).

I guess that’s why I’m no chef.

Last edited:
It's gold.
Won’t find stuff like this in the information holes that are Facebook groups. It’s a shame that forums have become less popular. They contain a ton of well organized, easily searchable knowledge on certain topics that might not exist anywhere else. FB groups, by comparison, contain posts that disappear, filtered comments, don’t have features like user reputation, and don’t lend themselves to long-form discussions, or recurring threads (think build threads, and Tales from the Tyee Pool) Very grateful that SFBC is still around and quite active. Anyways, rant over.

I love a fresh white spring on the grill. Thai red curry with salmon is another great way to enjoy it.

3 tablespoons red curry paste (Arroy-D is good)

4 cloves garlic, minced

3 tablespoons ginger, minced

1 medium yellow onion diced

2 cups bell peppers, cut into 1” squares

2 cups baby potatoes, cut in halves

16 oz salmon fillets, skinned and cut into 1” cubes

1-3 tsp fish sauce (to taste)

2 tsp cane sugar (or white sugar)

1 birds eye chili, minced

2 tbsp coconut oil

2 cans coconut milk, full fat

6 lime leaves

2 cups cooked jasmine rice

Cilantro and Lime wedges to garnish

In a large, saucepan, sweat the onion over medium low heat in the coconut oil until translucent. Add the curry paste, ginger, garlic, chili, and lime leaves and sauté until fragrant. Add coconut milk and fish sauce, and bring to a simmer. Add potatoes and cook until they fall off the fork when stabbed. Add sugar, bell peppers, and salmon. Simmer over medium low heat until salmon and peppers are cooked, approx. 10 minutes. Check for seasoning, and add salt if needed. Serve over rice with cilantro and lime wedge as garnish.

Maybe it’s on this thread already but it’s also great when you just treat it like lingcod… cut into smallish pieces (boneless if you can) then the ol flour, egg, breadcrumb deal, then pan fry it up.

Or it’s great just baked with sour cream, lemon, and dill on top.

Obviously it’s amazing when smoked too.

Guys who don’t like white spring are either snobby just to be snobby, or have no idea how to cook.

From an Article in Island Fisherman​

What is White Salmon?​

So, why are they white? Over the years I’ve heard many theories as to why some salmon have white flesh instead of red. Traditionally, many fishermen thought that the colour of a salmon was due to its diet. Whites were thought to eat more herring, and reds more shrimp and krill. Another thought was that the whites are a subspecies of normal red Chinook. In fact, they are the same species of Chinook: Oncorhynchus tshawytscha. The reason for the colouration is due to the white salmon’s genetic inability to metabolize the naturally occurring pigment in some of its foods. These pigments are known as carotenoids, and they are found in krill, shrimp, crabs, and many other crustaceans. The salmon can metabolize the proteins from these creatures but not the pigment. This leads to pure white flesh. Some salmon have a limited ability to metabolize the pigments, and this leads to marbled flesh. Either way, both types are healthy and have similar amounts of Omega 3 fatty acids, lipids, and proteins. According to the research I could find, they are equally nutritious. Personally, I think the whites have more fat and flavor, so I question whether they are completely equal. Also, this higher fat content is possibly not just due to the colour of the meat. Fat content in salmon may be related to the particular run they belong to or how far up river they are genetically predisposed to travel. I’m just speculating, but I think that salmon with long migrations probably carry more fat reserves. There is certainly much we don’t know about all salmon, and white springs in particular.

Does White Salmon Meat Taste Good?​

Historically, commercial fishermen in British Columbia received less money for white springs than reds. Therefore, the impression that they are inferior crept into many a sport fisher’s minds. I’ve often heard anglers at the gutting trough complaining that they caught a white spring. While they certainly don’t have the bright red of other salmon, I personally feel that what they might lose out in appearance, they more than make up for in flavour. They are much fattier, and therefore richer and moister than other salmon. They don’t dry out as easily when cooking, especially BBQing. Note that I use the term “fatty” or “high fat” as a compliment regarding salmon and most meats. It means meat with more flavor and moisture content.

Tips For Preparing Salmon​

First, they don’t last in the freezer as long as other salmon. This is due to their high fat content, which over time can take on a fairly strong flavor. However, as they are the first fish of the season, it is probably best to just eat them fresh. I generally try to use up most of my frozen salmon over the winter, so by April I’m always looking forward to my first meal of fresh white spring.

I find it is best to remove their belly strips (about two inches on either side of the center of the belly) prior to freezing. This is the fattiest part and is also my traditional after-fishing meal. I take the strips and maybe a steak or two and pan fry them in butter or olive oil on a medium heat, with dill, lemon juice, and sea salt added at the end. I typically serve this with new potatoes and steamed asparagus. I prefer simple fish recipes with fresh fish, but I will pull out the teriyaki sauce or curry powder late in the year for fish that has been frozen.

Whites also lend themselves to hot smoking, and white springs make for some of the best smoked salmon. The smoking process cooks out a lot of the fat but retains the buttery softness that characterizes white spring meat.

To target these tasty fish, you have to get out early in the spring. This is normally mid-April to the latter half of May. They are what I call traveling fish, as they are migrating towards their home rivers. Therefore, they typically stay out in the middle of Georgia Strait on the “Salmon Highway.” They are also normally quite deep—fishers have to troll at 150 to 200 feet down and farther off shore than they would be fishing in the summer. While it may be hard to find the fish when one is fishing way out in the Straits, once you locate them, they are aggressive feeders and easy to hook.

In closing, I suggest you annually celebrate our great nation’s birthday in July with a red and white meal, only freshly available on the West Coast. BBQ a nice piece of white spring and a nice piece of red spring, and have a taste test to see if your family prefers one over the other.

After trying many different ways of cooking or smoking white springs, I am wondering what a lot of members on here do to try and get some taste out of these fish. We have tried baking in the oven, on the b-que and smoking.
Smoked the last one with some coho caught last year and the taste of the fresh caught white spring pales in comparison to the coho.
Thanks for any and all replies.
Jerry
I bake it with Clubhouse salmon seasoning and lemon juice under a layer of kewpie mayo and sprinkled with tarragon

What is White Salmon?​

So, why are they white? Over the years I’ve heard many theories as to why some salmon have white flesh instead of red. Traditionally, many fishermen thought that the colour of a salmon was due to its diet. Whites were thought to eat more herring, and reds more shrimp and krill. Another thought was that the whites are a subspecies of normal red Chinook. In fact, they are the same species of Chinook: Oncorhynchus tshawytscha. The reason for the colouration is due to the white salmon’s genetic inability to metabolize the naturally occurring pigment in some of its foods. These pigments are known as carotenoids, and they are found in krill, shrimp, crabs, and many other crustaceans. The salmon can metabolize the proteins from these creatures but not the pigment. This leads to pure white flesh. Some salmon have a limited ability to metabolize the pigments, and this leads to marbled flesh. Either way, both types are healthy and have similar amounts of Omega 3 fatty acids, lipids, and proteins. According to the research I could find, they are equally nutritious. Personally, I think the whites have more fat and flavor, so I question whether they are completely equal. Also, this higher fat content is possibly not just due to the colour of the meat. Fat content in salmon may be related to the particular run they belong to or how far up river they are genetically predisposed to travel. I’m just speculating, but I think that salmon with long migrations probably carry more fat reserves. There is certainly much we don’t know about all salmon, and white springs in particular.

Historically, commercial fishermen in British Columbia received less money for white springs than reds. Therefore, the impression that they are inferior crept into many a sport fisher’s minds. I’ve often heard anglers at the gutting trough complaining that they caught a white spring. While they certainly don’t have the bright red of other salmon, I personally feel that what they might lose out in appearance, they more than make up for in flavour. They are much fattier, and therefore richer and moister than other salmon. They don’t dry out as easily when cooking, especially BBQing. Note that I use the term “fatty” or “high fat” as a compliment regarding salmon and most meats. It means meat with more flavor and moisture content.

First, they don’t last in the freezer as long as other salmon. This is due to their high fat content, which over time can take on a fairly strong flavor. However, as they are the first fish of the season, it is probably best to just eat them fresh. I generally try to use up most of my frozen salmon over the winter, so by April I’m always looking forward to my first meal of fresh white spring.

I find it is best to remove their belly strips (about two inches on either side of the center of the belly) prior to freezing. This is the fattiest part and is also my traditional after-fishing meal. I take the strips and maybe a steak or two and pan fry them in butter or olive oil on a medium heat, with dill, lemon juice, and sea salt added at the end. I typically serve this with new potatoes and steamed asparagus. I prefer simple fish recipes with fresh fish, but I will pull out the teriyaki sauce or curry powder late in the year for fish that has been frozen.

Whites also lend themselves to hot smoking, and white springs make for some of the best smoked salmon. The smoking process cooks out a lot of the fat but retains the buttery softness that characterizes white spring meat.

To target these tasty fish, you have to get out early in the spring. This is normally mid-April to the latter half of May. They are what I call traveling fish, as they are migrating towards their home rivers. Therefore, they typically stay out in the middle of Georgia Strait on the “Salmon Highway.” They are also normally quite deep—fishers have to troll at 150 to 200 feet down and farther off shore than they would be fishing in the summer. While it may be hard to find the fish when one is fishing way out in the Straits, once you locate them, they are aggressive feeders and easy to hook.

In closing, I suggest you annually celebrate our great nation’s birthday in July with a red and white meal, only freshly available on the West Coast. BBQ a nice piece of white spring and a nice piece of red spring, and have a taste test to see if your family prefers one over the other.
Why do we have to keep doing this every year? Winter feeder white are a delicacy. Stinky late Harrison whites make great gifts for your mother in law.

I found this recipe for White Springs several years ago and it is awesome.

2 fillets of ivory (white spring) salmon with skin (3 oz/85 g each)

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 tsp extra virgin olive oil (more for drizzling)

1 tsp butter

3 tbsp chanterelle mushrooms

4 – 5 g green onions (sliced)

6 sun gold tomatoes (cut in half)

20 ml white wine

60 ml vegetable stock

1 tbsp piri piri sauce

Method

Preheat oven to 500 F.

Season fillets with salt and pepper.

Heat a large non-stick (oven-safe) skillet on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, swirl to coat the pan and warm for 3 to 5 minutes.
Remove pan from heat and place salmon pieces skin side down. Do not flip the salmon.
Place the pan with the salmon in the top part of the oven for 6 to 8 minutes.
After 6 to 8 minutes, turn the oven to high broil and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
Remove from oven and place the salmon on a plate.
In the same pan, place butter, mushrooms, tomatoes and green onions. Season lightly with salt.
Place the pan on the stovetop and cook over medium-high heat until the mushrooms are tender.
Remove from heat. Deglaze with white wine, vegetable stock and piri piri.
Spoon the mushroom mixture and sauce over the salmon.
Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil over the fish and serve with fresh seasonal green vegetables.
I'll make this one fairly soon, love dem chanterelles. But the detail freak in me insists that I point out that it's unwise to use a non stick pan anywhere above medium heat, and not to put it in oven in broil. The coating is plastic, it will be damaged by the heat and you'll be throwing away another hunk of aluminum. Cast-iron pan is the tool for this job.

Doing white spring caught less than 2 weeks ago in Kyuquot. Sous vide, seasoned first with some pepper and chives from the garden in the bag. Then topped with a white wine, tarragon beurre blanc. Will report back.

Kind of different from a couple posts earlier in this thread saying the white should be in the garden fertilizing what I am growing :rolleyes:...bringing herbs from the garden to the fish in the kitchen. :p

What is White Salmon?​

My theory about white springs is "WHEN THEY BITE MY LINE, THEY GET SO SCARED THEY TURN WHITE WITH FEAR . CAUSE THEY KNOW THEY ARE NOT GETTING AWAY" and they just give up.

Back