What to do with white spring

Won’t find stuff like this in the information holes that are Facebook groups. It’s a shame that forums have become less popular. They contain a ton of well organized, easily searchable knowledge on certain topics that might not exist anywhere else. FB groups, by comparison, contain posts that disappear, filtered comments, don’t have features like user reputation, and don’t lend themselves to long-form discussions, or recurring threads (think build threads, and Tales from the Tyee Pool) Very grateful that SFBC is still around and quite active. Anyways, rant over.

I love a fresh white spring on the grill. Thai red curry with salmon is another great way to enjoy it.

3 tablespoons red curry paste (Arroy-D is good)

4 cloves garlic, minced

3 tablespoons ginger, minced

1 medium yellow onion diced

2 cups bell peppers, cut into 1” squares

2 cups baby potatoes, cut in halves

16 oz salmon fillets, skinned and cut into 1” cubes

1-3 tsp fish sauce (to taste)

2 tsp cane sugar (or white sugar)

1 birds eye chili, minced

2 tbsp coconut oil

2 cans coconut milk, full fat

6 lime leaves

2 cups cooked jasmine rice

Cilantro and Lime wedges to garnish

In a large, saucepan, sweat the onion over medium low heat in the coconut oil until translucent. Add the curry paste, ginger, garlic, chili, and lime leaves and sauté until fragrant. Add coconut milk and fish sauce, and bring to a simmer. Add potatoes and cook until they fall off the fork when stabbed. Add sugar, bell peppers, and salmon. Simmer over medium low heat until salmon and peppers are cooked, approx. 10 minutes. Check for seasoning, and add salt if needed. Serve over rice with cilantro and lime wedge as garnish.
Tried this recipe last night with some minor mods and it received a lot of praise :)
Used Penang Curry paste instead of red thai, added some mushrooms and basil. A bit on the spicy side with the red chilly but it definitely adds flavor to the dish.

1694794940254.jpeg

Tried this recipe last night with some minor mods and it received a lot of praise :)
Used Penang Curry paste instead of red thai, added some mushrooms and basil. A bit on the spicy side with the red chilly but it definitely adds flavor to the dish.

View attachment 97923
Awesome! The birds eye chilies can pack a punch! Did you add coconut milk? If you want to be really decadent, coconut cream is awesome too. It really ties everything together, though I’m sure it’s delicious without. If you did, disregard the above lol

For sashimi I prefer the whites over reds as they have a more mild (less fishy flavour). I have noticed that we seem to be catching more marbles than we use to.

Awesome! The birds eye chilies can pack a punch! Did you add coconut milk? If you want to be really decadent, coconut cream is awesome too. It really ties everything together, though I’m sure it’s delicious without. If you did, disregard the above lol
Noticed your recipe says 2 cans of coconut milk but I only used 1. Maybe I should've added a small can of coconut cream too.

Sh*t dude. You need some deep fried white Chinook to get the oil levels back up again. Would be a good test for your sense of smell too ;)

I'll make this one fairly soon, love dem chanterelles. But the detail freak in me insists that I point out that it's unwise to use a non stick pan anywhere above medium heat, and not to put it in oven in broil. The coating is plastic, it will be damaged by the heat and you'll be throwing away another hunk of aluminum. Cast-iron pan is the tool for this job.
Don't forget the PFAS in non stick pans. They are forever chemicals and proven to cause cancer. Yes they say they can be used on low/medium heat but they still shed PFAS, just not as bad.

Back