What are ya?

Gypseas

Just wondering what are the stats on jigging vs. trolling
Are you a jigger or a troller?

Jigger here[8D]

Hardly wait for the hali season to open
cheers
vic

When I first started fishing I was a jigger. Didn't have any downriggers, so we would just drift jig. It's a fun way to fish, especially if there's lots of pinks around. Now I am a troller and have much more success for springs.

I do a little of both.

I like to troll first thing in the morning and then when the "bite" slowes down, I will move around, looking for the morning bait. Once found, I will drift over it, jigging, using pirkens, Zingers and Zildas. My biggest salmon is 38.5 lbs and I have caught that weight three times, twice jigging. Nothing like lifting up on the rod and it stops dead, then with a terrific pull, it is off. What a rush!!!!!!

The prob. with jigging in my area is when the fish are there, so are other fishermen. Jiggers like to get right on top of the tack and hang there, screwing everyone else out of their tack.

I normally troll for salmon, however a couple of years ago I made some homemade lead jigs.... poured our own lead....painted them up like little pieces of art..... they looked as good if not better then the store bought ones. We trolled most of that day then after not getting a bite we decided to go jigging and try out our new homemade jigs. We found a nice spot near Aldridge point.... dropped the jigs down near some kelp and the first fish caught was a 20 pound spring. To date thats the only salmon I have ever caught while jigging.... beginners luck I think...lol.

I don't think its the jiggers who get in the way of everyone else out there, it is the people who are trolling with out downriggers.... their lines go way out the back of the boat and to me thats what causes problems with everyone around you. I don't mind fishing close to everyone else but when someone yells fish on..... thats when you need all the space you can get.... so if your out there and you hear the boat beside you yell..... "FISH ON" please.... for everyones sake.... move away from the area to let them fight their fish.

For my part I am a pure troller. But not out of conviction - that's just what I have been taught when I moved out here. I would love to try some jigging but would need somebody to reveal some of the secrets to me. Once, accidentially, while fishing for bottom fish I hooked a good size salmon and it was a great battle which I unfortunately lost before I got to see the fish...

the first type of fishing i ever did was jigging and saw very few salmon. So i decided to put one of the old blue scotties on my tinny and first time out caught a little, but scrappy, 6 pounder. Ever since then i have trolled whenever possible and seen a fair number of nice fish as a bonus;)

but the idea of a 30 lbs spring on nothing but a bit of lead sounds like a hell of a time.

About 35 years ago my father, uncle and I were buzz bombing at Bamfield (Pacheno Bay I believe) and it was just one 30 lber after another. What a battle those fish were. With all of the neat new electronics today, I prefer to troll and watch the bottom contours, bait balls, fish blimps and depths..... oh yeah, much less tiresome holding on to a beer when you are trolling, rather than jigging...... :D:D SS

Like everybody else I troll most of the time. Why, because it seems to be productive, is a lazy way to fish, and active. (Active in the sense that you cover a lot of territory, and everyone gets a chance to drag their gear over the "hot" spot.) And you don't have to be an expert in the nuances of the area to be rewarded.
But I have been giving thought to trying more cut plugging or mooching, and jigging, in the coming season. As a 'sports' fisherman I think that with trolling you take out a lot of the skills, tide and current knowledge, bait movement patterns, knowledge of the underwater structure, etc., involved in fishing (don't get excited, I know it isn't all that simple), but we aren't out there just for the meat, are we?
Somewhere a few months ago I ran across a reference to an electric downrigger that you could connect to your depthsounder. Set the height above bottom you wanted your cannonball at and presto, it'll track the bottom all day long, rising and falling as required. I thought that was about it for trolling. Throw in 50+ pound test and a level wind reel (just so you don't have to worry too much about fish playing skills) and you have virtually guaranteed success.
Yeah, I think I'll be masochistic and see what I can do the old way.

quote:Originally posted by Striper Sniper

About 35 years ago my father, uncle and I were buzz bombing at Bamfield (Pacheno Bay I believe) and it was just one 30 lber after another. What a battle those fish were. With all of the neat new electronics today, I prefer to troll and watch the bottom contours, bait balls, fish blimps and depths..... oh yeah, much less tiresome holding on to a beer when you are trolling, rather than jigging...... :D:D SS

AMEN

Back