Open eye swivel

Fishdreamer

Crew Member
I'm going to be tying up some new single hook hootchies and also putting new hooks on some spoons and I've come across some open eye rolling swivels by VMC with a 38 lb test. Just wondering if anyone has heard of these or used them and what their opinion on them is.

wish some company would jump on the idea of bringing out a set of pliers just for squeezing down the eye on open ends normal ones i tend to either crack and snap or just dont get it closed enough for my true liking .....

wish some company would jump on the idea of bringing out a set of pliers just for squeezing down the eye on open ends normal ones i tend to either crack and snap or just dont get it closed enough for my true liking .....
I just got these, think they might be the ticket

Attachments

• IMG_7915.jpeg
    IMG_7915.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 110
I can see that opening up especially the way salmon twist. (coho) id be leery.

When you squeeze them you need to squeeze so the open end goes in the direction of completing the circle. Not squeeze from one side to the other. That is how you will avoid the gap or fatiguing the metal.

I'd be leery also. 38 lb is not very much . I buy much stronger swivels. As Wolf stated it's not straight pull but twisting and shaking. If you try them take a close check after every fish.

Last edited:
When you squeeze them you need to squeeze so the open end goes in the direction of completing the circle. Not squeeze from one side to the other. That is how you will avoid the gap or fatiguing the metal.
In order to squeeze a siwash hook eye tightly closed I squeeze a bit first from side to side then squeeze in the direction of closing the circle. This way the end slides into place right up against the bend on the other side of the eye.
I haven’t had one open up or break yet but I’ve only been rigging some of my hoochies and Flashflies with a swivel and siwash hook for a couple of seasons now.

No swivel needed for a hoochie. Tie a loop knot and eliminate a point of failure.

Different strokes I guess, I used to just tie tandem octopus hooks with egg loop knots until I saw the swivel and siwash hook system on a thread on SFBC lol. Now I run a mix of both waiting to see if one stands out over the other. Could you show a pic of the way you tie them?

I can see that opening up especially the way salmon twist. (coho) id be leery.
Yes that is my concern also. I won a package of them with some other tackle in a coho derby. The diameter of the wire in the eye is less than an open eye siwash which doesn't give me a lot of faith in them. I was hoping someone had used them.

Different strokes I guess, I used to just tie tandem octopus hooks with egg loop knots until I saw the swivel and siwash hook system on a thread on SFBC lol. Now I run a mix of both waiting to see if one stands out over the other. Could you show a pic of the way you tie them?
Sadly I haven't learned how to upload pictures yet. I like using single hooks with my hootchies with a swivel above the hook. I also like to put a swivel above the hook on spoons and thought I wouldn't have to cut the welded ring off with this open eye.

Sadly I haven't learned how to upload pictures yet. I like using single hooks with my hootchies with a swivel above the hook. I also like to put a swivel above the hook on spoons and thought I wouldn't have to cut the welded ring off with this open eye.
Sounds like the way I tie them too; I was asking CBsqrd how he ties them without a swivel, using a loop knot.

No swivel needed for a hoochie. Tie a loop knot and eliminate a point of failure.
all the big single hooks i use for offshore rubber have swivels, they move far better.

He's talking about the back end, guys. Not the hook

Front end?? Now this is really confusing
I think I’m on the same page as CBsqrd now that I realize he was talking about the flasher end of the leader 😁
I don’t think there’s much difference however, between tying a loop or a swivel on the flasher end as each has a knot that could fail.

I think I’m on the same page as CBsqrd now that I realize he was talking about the flasher end of the leader 😁
I don’t think there’s much difference however, between tying a loop or a swivel on the flasher end as each has a knot that could fail.
The flasher end, I like that. I guess you could say forward end as well.

Back