Pitted Mr2

wario

Ive got an older islander mr2 thats in decent shape. Its been a spare on the boat for a while and was also used for some jigging from time to time. Its got one blemish on it that has always bugged me. Its near the reel seat and is a good size chunk missing. My question is do I fill it with something like JB weld? Do i risk having it tig welded? Or do i just leave it and keep fishing it as my spare/jigger. I dont want it to corrode and risk effecting the reel seat/ frame later on down the line. Any input ?

Attachments

• 5078B0C4-14D3-4B32-A044-0FE6513E5351.jpeg
    5078B0C4-14D3-4B32-A044-0FE6513E5351.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 127
Ive got an older islander mr2 thats in decent shape. Its been a spare on the boat for a while and was also used for some jigging from time to time. Its got one blemish on it that has always bugged me. Its near the reel seat and is a good size chunk missing. My question is do I fill it with something like JB weld? Do i risk having it tig welded? Or do i just leave it and keep fishing it as my spare/jigger. I dont want it to corrode and risk effecting the reel seat/ frame later on down the line. Any input ?
why not just contact islander and see what they do for you? they are a wicked company that stand by their high end product. I wouldnt want to jimmy rig that etc for now until I asked but thats my opinion lol

Another option would be to grind that out and then polish that surface as smooth as you can so there’s no abrasion from it.

why not just contact islander and see what they do for you? they are a wicked company that stand by their high end product. I wouldnt want to jimmy rig that etc for now until I asked but thats my opinion lol
That's what I would do-maybe some kind of warranty--Amundson will sell you a frame maybe Islander has a similiar deal

I reached out to islander as I have in the past for replacement parts (reel seat, drag knobs, corks etc) and was advised to put some nail polish on it once cleaned of any salt. When it comes to corrosion and islander I have always had to pay for the replacement parts which is fair enough especially considering the parts are usually cheap. For those of you with old style Mr2's make sure to check the threads on the drag knob when you service your reels. Ive replaced them on each of my reels and have a spare or two on hand. When I inquired about the issue with the threads i was told it was salt building up on the spindle causing pitting and I should be rinsing my reels more thoroughly with freshwater.

This was the drag knob from one of my main reels 13xxx serial # 5 seasons of recreational use and I tore it down and greased and oiled it accordingly and regularly.

Attachments

• A3633626-1E2E-4910-BF70-A0929B99BD80.jpeg
    A3633626-1E2E-4910-BF70-A0929B99BD80.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 27295A7B-0843-488F-ADD7-030BF52F5706.jpeg
    27295A7B-0843-488F-ADD7-030BF52F5706.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 64
Back