Wet double eagle

I just purchased a 20 ft double eagle (1978) and it doesn't have a drain plug at all ... I found this really odd, so odd that I phoned the original owner and asked him... and yes there is no drain plug, just a bilge...

Is this common ?
Short answer is no. May have been a transom rebuild? Original owner says no. I am not sure if some were built as " moored" boats and relied strictly on the bilge pump?

A buddy of mine purchased a 16' double eagle a few years ago same thing, couldn't fig out for the life of us why it wouldn't plane, he drilled a hole to put his own brass thread in type and come ALOT of water .. it dripped for 4 days.. when it was done she just flew..

Moored boat?? ,yea I emailed Double eagle to find out if scuppers were included in the original equipment in this boat,no response,,,,yet, that was a month ago. Any one else own an 02 ext206 double eagle?

Short answer is no. May have been a transom rebuild? Original owner says no. I am not sure if some were built as " moored" boats and relied strictly on the bilge pump?

Makes sense ... shes abit rusty and corroded on parts haha must have been a "built for mooring" boat

Makes sense ... shes abit rusty and corroded on parts haha must have been a "built for mooring" boat, theres barely any space for a plug underneath the leg

A buddy of mine purchased a 16' double eagle a few years ago same thing, couldn't fig out for the life of us why it wouldn't plane, he drilled a hole to put his own brass thread in type and come ALOT of water .. it dripped for 4 days.. when it was done she just flew..

Had this with mine too wouldn't plane I actually drilled four huge holes at the rear tipped it it drained for about a week then my friend came and reglassed the back and inside under the motor it was leaking by the bolts got it to do 35 mph with a 70 horse after loaded with gear and guys.

We had water just coming down the window frame and dripping down the gunnels and onto the back deck of ours we couldent figure out how the water was coming under our canvas back.

We also dont have a rear plug. Just bilge.

-KK

Had this with mine too wouldn't plane I actually drilled four huge holes at the rear tipped it it drained for about a week then my friend came and reglassed the back and inside under the motor it was leaking by the bolts got it to do 35 mph with a 70 horse after loaded with gear and guys.

A good quick fix, but I would be concerned about the stringers and transom if they were water logged.
eventually there will be structural issues.

i think the brass two piece drain plug is a good way to go, then everytime your done fishing you can drain it out , just make sure you drill in the right spot and use good underwater sixaflex.

Don't know if you read first few posts , but Ido already have a plug , as well I have filled the bilge with water when on the trailer to see if there are leaks ,none that I can see , thanks for your post . I still think its the ball scuppers that were leaking , just have to get the boat on the water again to test if new scuppers are working the way they are supposed to.

I have a 1982 185DE it did not have a drain plug . First thing I did was install one.
I know this is an old thread but I have a176 ‘81 double eagle and there’s no drain plug. I’d like drill but not exactly sure if where. Any advice?

Moored boat?? ,yea I emailed Double eagle to find out if scuppers were included in the original equipment in this boat,no response,,,,yet, that was a month ago. Any one else own an 02 ext206 double eagle?
Double eagle isn't keen on responding to emails, had the same problem with no reply. Not a good way to run a business if you ask me. Keep it in mind when it's time to buy a new hull.

Back