16’ Double Eagle Downrigger Install

Marley

Hi All

My friend has an early 2000’s 16 ft double eagle that he wants to install some 2106’s on. I have not seen the boat in person as it is on the island but he mentioned that it has a profiled gunnel which will make it difficult to install the usual flat Scotty plate. He would also like it to be easy to remove the swivel bases when needed and just leave the plate behind.

I assume many of you have already solved this issue so if you could send a pic or describe the best way to install downriggers it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

had issues with my gunnels being to thin, but a much older model if hes going to run anything bigger than 15lbers then i would glass up over that ridge for 4-6" either side where the plate sits and still have an alloy plate underside ......got caught up in a ghost trap and end result so having to cut it out and going to re -glass a solid area ... just hope the made the gunnels thicker on the newer later hulls
IMG_2083.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2082.JPG
    IMG_2082.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 35
thanks. Has anyone settled on an ideal location, or just close to the back of the boat.
Important decision either at transom or (some distance) further ahead. You may not have much room forward. Good idea of yours to check on this forum for suggestions. You may want to dummy it up on land to see what works with your gear (Scotty clip length etc).

Tremendous force can be exerted on your mounts if you snag up as in the above example. For that reason bolts (not screws) are recommended along with backing plates under the gunwales, or at least large SS washers. Been there myself as many others, snagged a commercial trap in winds, snapped wire line, kept Downrigger.

Important decision either at transom or (some distance) further ahead. You may not have much room forward. Good idea of yours to check on this forum for suggestions. You may want to dummy it up on land to see what works with your gear (Scotty clip length etc).

Tremendous force can be exerted on your mounts if you snag up as in the above example. For that reason bolts (not screws) are recommended along with backing plates under the gunwales, or at least large SS washers. Been there myself as many others, snagged a commercial trap in winds, snapped wire line, kept Downrigger.
I always make sure I set my downrigger with a scale. One of my fears is getting hung up and ripping it off the boat.

Try to use backing plates (home made, aluminum plate) no matter what mount style you use. The flex from that extended boom under load is hard on the deck. I might add them to my aluminum boat just due to the improved "clamping" ability of a backing plate set up.

I used 12 x 4 x 3/16 inch aluminum plate behind the Scotty 2106 mount's, and 4 stainless machine screws. I never use extended booms.
Good job. Regardless of extended boom or not, the load is substantial with the leverage of the boom and cannonball.

Here are some pictures of how my last boat (16ft Double Eagle) had riggers set up. I ran 15lb balls off then fishing constance/victoria waterfront. under the base plate you can see a shim of wood on the outside dip in the gunnel. I also had large washers and a base plate on the underside. I didn't install them. Boat came that way when I bought it. Worked fine, even hung on bottom (often when I was learning to fish) and never had the riggers rip off. It was a great fishing machine, I miss it, should have kept it as a 2nd boat.

Don't mind the midget fishing buddy in the first picture ... he was such a rod hog 😆
riggers 5.jpgrigger mounts 4.jpgrigger mounts 3.jpg

Installed l angle mounts years ago on my 99 16', they are over the seat. If I had to do it over again I would have brought them forward; wee bit easier reach and a rope bucket under the prawn puller would have more drop.

20200403_083726~2.jpg

Back