Wet double eagle

Flatlander

Purchased Double eagle ext 206 with yamy 225 , have had it out half a dozen times and found that it always has a inch or so of water in the back end of boat, have checked the scuppers they look fine,was wondering what the next step is to stop this problem?, was thinking of temporarily plugging them to test to see if they are the source of water in boat, if so are the scuppers to low or is the boat to heavy on the back end? Thanks

Can you be a bit more specific, what do you mean by the back end? Floor or bilge? Is the motor inboard or outboard? Other than scuppers are there other thru-hull fittings?

Yamaha 225 outboard, back end rear of boat floor, three thru hull fittings for fish and anchor storage. Don't think it would be leaking from these fittings as they are dry areas . When boat is moored be it a dry calm or rainy rough day boat seems to always have an inch or two of water on the floor at the rear of boat, when the boat is run it empties ,bilge seems to always have some water in it. Problem seems to be worse with full tank of gas or an extra couple of bodies on board.

Take out your drain plug unit and reseal the entire unit. I know many guys with double eagles that have had leaks there.

remove the plug every time the boat is out of water and lub it with white grease and snug it tight before it goes back in.

They leak around the part the plugs goes into. Normally held in with 3-4 screws.

This^^
had same issue on my explorer looked everywhere, pulled the plug housing and resealed with 5200, no more problem

yep, clean it up and reseal with 3m 5200 (good for below waterline)
and what about that other thru hull seems like a weird spot for check the nut on the backside of it? reseal it too maybe

What if I was to put the plug back in and fill the bilge with water to check for leaks? Yea that thru hull fitting is a puzzler, whats that for?

Had the same issue on my Boat when I first aquired it. Ended up filling it up with water in the Driveway to find the Leak. Some un-named "Pros" had installed a Bilge Pump and one of the Screws just went through the Hull. Not enough to see after they Bottom Painted but enough to Leak.... Actually thought the Tires on the Trailer were going to pop :). Lesson learned

Just thinking.
Not very likely, but by chance is the hull cracked?
Leak around the lower mounting bolts of the engine?
Leak at the boot where engine controls go through hull in the splash well?

Filled the bilge with water last weekend no leaks , replaced the ball scuppers . When I put the boat in next time going to temporaily plug the scuppers , I think the ball scuppers always let some water in , maybe just have to plug them for fishin and unplug for moorage. Never had this problem with last double eagle. Anyone else doing this?

if i have some big dudes and a full belly of fuel my scuppers do not work. i use a raquet ball in the hole then remove them once on plane..

Only use 5200 if you don't think you're ever going to want to take the thing off again. 4200 has the same sealing properties but not the adhesive power so can be removed if necessary.

I just purchased a 20 ft double eagle (1978) and it doesn't have a drain plug at all ... I found this really odd, so odd that I phoned the original owner and asked him... and yes there is no drain plug, just a bilge...

Is this common ?

Back