WDFW Rockfish Identification website

Thanks very much for that link,Bushbear. Printed off a copy and I'll get them laminated for the boat.

Printed and laminated. This is great. I'm sure I've caught 75% of the types shown on this printout. It'll be cool to be able to identify them now. Thanks again for the link!

They are great eating. Released the first one I caught as it didnt look like something you would want to eat. Read up on them on the internet, saw that they were in fact good to eat and have been chowing down on them ever since.
are cabazon good eating wife caught one a couple of weeks ago let it go thought it is to ugle to eat

They are great eating. Released the first one I caught as it didnt look like something you would want to eat. Read up on them on the internet, saw that they were in fact good to eat and have been chowing down on them ever since.

Very good eating but not worth it in my opinion as the roe is extremely toxic and if the eggs or the fluids around the row sack come into contact with the fillet you will not enjoy the next few days.

Kind of like eating the Fugu Fish. Is it worth it for a relatively small piece of meat on a very old fish?

Thanks for the ID link!! Very cool.

I typically use this to identify rock fish

150436_1_1_500FISHandChips_1329391102.jpg

Very good eating but not worth it in my opinion as the roe is extremely toxic and if the eggs or the fluids around the row sack come into contact with the fillet you will not enjoy the next few days.

Kind of like eating the Fugu Fish. Is it worth it for a relatively small piece of meat on a very old fish?

Thanks for the ID link!! Very cool.

I agree very good eating and I think it's worth the risk: I prefer to filet without cutting through the ribs so I'm always on the safe side of the roe. Cabezon are older than salmon but not that old for bottomfish: max of 14 years compared to 95 years for a quillback rockfish..

Rockfish cleaning tip: Take a pair of scissors and cut off all the venomous spines: (dorsal, anal and pelvic I think are the cuplrits) before fileting. Saves 1 stabbing during cleaning AND saves about 5 stabbings when using carcass for crab bait.

Back