Want to buy a NEW boat. Please help!

I'm going from a 12 and 7" evo3 to one 16" helm screen at the moment. I'll add a tablet for a secondary. The 16" split into 4 screens is great. I find the 12 to be to small when split into 4 screens. I'd go 16 and phone/ tablet mount for redundancy as others mentioned.

@barkerfam The new dash layout is different than mine. Id say its improved from their original design. We ended up removing the dash and building a new one. I would definitely maximize your screen situation if it were me, however it really just depends on what your intended use will be.. This is your dash?

View attachment 103733

You could always go with an auto pilot with remote for stern steering while fishing and use a tablet out back for a clear view of your monitors when fishing from the cockpit.

Also I find that with my 23, i'm always on the trim tabs. That being said I would hate having the trim tab switches on the left side. Left hand on the wheel always and right hand for everything else. Calm days whatever but snarly days 100 percent

I'll have to take a pic to be sure. My memory says its a little different.

Congrats! Estimated delivery date....? Not to derail but have you looked at the Seekeeper Active Trim tabs? A member was out on a boat with them, could have been yours current boat, and loved them.

I prefer two screens. I run two transducers and need two screens to power them correctly. Added bonus I have redundancy, beyond screen failure, when a transducers gets busted off the mount from a guest getting off at a beach or a mystery log hits it. Overkill but I also move one to the stern for fishing.
Delivery: The boat is here. Just need to set it up. Looking at March 19th.

I puled the trigger yesterday and signed a PSA.

Now to outfit the boat! Been a LOOOOONG time since I started form scratch. I like the process but have a question for all you smart folks out there:

Would you rather have 2 separate chartplotters(screens that do everything) or one larger one? The larger one takes up a bit less room at the helm, and is a bit cheaper in $/in^2. Does having a "backup" compensate for the added complexity of another device on the system?

Thanks!
I always go two screens since i got caught 6 miles off shore at Nootka in 2009 in the fog. My single MFD stopped working. It was a frightening experience. Turned out to be a faulty wire but I didn't have time to look for it in the middle of a disaster. I'd at least go one 12" and a 9". I run my two devices all the time on different settings/views. Both have separate transducers as well. I have a third digital sounder as well just in case. It just gives you more options and of course redundancy.

No stern steering station.

The boat layout is a pilothouse with no back wall. All steering will be from the captains chair.

The large display (16") can have multiple sections at the same time so that it looks like 2-6 smaller screens.
With your layout I think a single 16” screen would be a good option. My Campion 682 has a similar layout and I can just read my 12” screen split into chart/sounder when I’m putting lines out (as long as no one is sitting in the captain’s chair). I love sitting sideways while trolling as it is comfortable to steer and adjust throttle while alternating between looking forward/watching the screen and watching the port rod.

With your layout I think a single 16” screen would be a good option. My Campion 682 has a similar layout and I can just read my 12” screen split into chart/sounder when I’m putting lines out (as long as no one is sitting in the captain’s chair). I love sitting sideways while trolling as it is comfortable to steer and adjust throttle while alternating between looking forward/watching the screen and watching the port rod.
thanks

That's my position for trolling as well.

Anybody know the real difference between a garmin GHC 20 and GHC 50? If so, can you teach me? I've scoured the net, but can't find the difference besides the size and cost.

Thanks!

hb

Back