Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Decided to try Costance today after all of the slow reports from Sooke. Launched at 3 , got into a small clip coho on the west side of the bank. Then a teener spring, that was lost at boatside. When the wind picked up, went to Broachie ledge, McCaully point side, and got a nice 14Lb spring (red). All the luck was on a 4" cop car behind a green/gold flasher. The depths varried from, just off bottem to mid water.

Cheers
Rich

Had a great day in Oak bay yesterday. Landed a couple small springs then a first for our boat, a 25 lb halibut on a hootchie while trolling for salmon! finally a beautiful chrome 20.5lb spring. Got a few crabs, too. fantastic day near brodie rock.

Launched at 6am this morning out of Flemming , went to Sooke ( P.P ) and had no luck except for an undersize spring. We fished P.P hard for 8hrs. We then ran to Constance to see if the same bite that happened yesterday at current change would occour again. Really happy we gave it a go. Arrived at 4pm and put down, right on the bottem with a needle fiish hootchie and a cop car. BANG, in 1 Hr we had 5 good size Springs to the boat. We kept 3, all reds. And yes Thanks Don , its a damn fishy little boat : )

Cheers
Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished Constance today, lots of boats. Tried salmon for an hour, then when the current slowed drifted for halibut. We were the only ones hali fishing while surrounded by trollers. Saw quite a few nets out for slamon. Paid off with a 35lb. First time using a harpoon, had a hard time getting the tip to hold once through the fish without pulling back out, hence a few holes in the fish. I'm guessing the arrowhead shaped tips stick better than the smooth ones?

Attachments

• Matt 35 Hali 001.jpg
    Matt 35 Hali 001.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 159
If you still have the o-ring on the shaft, take it off and hold the rope snug onto the handle to keep the head on until you have gone through the fish.

Yep, what he said. O rings don't help at all. Also, remember to only pull the shaft back out. If you pull back with the rope and shaft, tip will come back out.

Do I see 4 holes in that fish?

Nice fish!

I prefer a good gaff on a hali. Less chance of losing it. Anything under 70 is fine after that pray you get a spear for christmas.

beemer

Fished the waterfront yesterday. Caught a 6 lb feeder at McCauley point 90' down right on the bottom with a coho killer. Was surprised to see needlefish in the stomach and not the 3" herring all of the birds were chewing on.

JL

yep tons of needle fish in the springs I have been getting lately both in Victoria and Sooke the black coho killer and all silver coho killer work the best and small anchovies if your gonna use bait watch out for those damn dog fish though they even hit your plastic bait LOL ! But there's plenty of fish on both sides if you know where to get them.

If you're fishing off the waterfront tomorrow and Sunday, expect to see a whole bunch of small tinnies. The Clover Point Anglers' Association is holding our annual salmon derby and our boats are no larger than 12 feet. One angler participating is in his 90's, and most of us are not what you would call young. So please watch your wakes around our small boats and if you see us tied into a big slab give us a little room. It's a lot harder when fishing by yourself to play and land a big spring and be aware of what's going on around you. Any courtesy is appreciated.

If you're fishing off the waterfront tomorrow and Sunday, expect to see a whole bunch of small tinnies. The Clover Point Anglers' Association is holding our annual salmon derby and our boats are no larger than 12 feet. One angler participating is in his 90's, and most of us are not what you would call young. So please watch your wakes around our small boats and if you see us tied into a big slab give us a little room. It's a lot harder when fishing by yourself to play and land a big spring and be aware of what's going on around you. Any courtesy is appreciated.
Glad to see your club is still in existence--go get 'em.
T2

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to see a pic of a slab..

Good luck to porcupine and friends...
th_cheers.gif

There was a 44 boat at the breakwater Friday so I was there an saw few fish caught had six hit with two that were 9 lb that I let go watch a sting take place from fisheries I hope they throw the book a you poacher catching fish then gets on cell phone to sell bye bye poucher .they caught hime red handed nice too see .

Back