Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want. Most of us have experience when it come to big fish.

Exciting but sad story, Dave! Thanks for sharing. Don't want to make you feeling even worse but I would say that was WAY bigger than 70#. I mean WAY WAY bigger...! There was a very similar story last year out of Ukie and that beast weighed in well over 200#! Sorry Dave! ...lol

Hey Dave, That is an awesome story thanks for sharing. Now those are the stories we need boys. I feel your pain I have fished the flats for many many years. I have two stories similar to yours. Last year had to be a 70lber on salmon gear trolling. I thought it was bottom as well. Anyway after about 1 hour, I got it to the boat, by myself, Gaffed it and then the battle began, I could not get it in the boat, I struggled and struggled, it eventually broke the gaff, broke my leader and swam away. Also when I was 15 years old I hooked into a monster in around the chain islands this one was well over 90lbs, I thought I am never going to be able to move this. It took about 2 hours as my dad and I struggled with it. We got it to the boat but never had a gaff or harpoon just a net all we could do is look at it and wonder how the hell we are going to get this thing in the boat. It just hovered about 5 feet down for about 15 minutes as my dad and I panicked and were in awe of this beast of a fish on salmon gear. The halibut had other plans. Waved good bye and with a burst broke the main line. I feel your pain but sometimes just seeing it is just as awesome.

Did the fish run at all? By the sounds of the story it sounds like a skate, just holding itself to bottom and just inching up - halibut on salmon gear usually scream off a lot of line IME.

If it was a halibut it was a big one, I've had hali to 60lbs on salmon gear and they only take 5 mins to bring in at that size. That's the beauty of fishing though, you never know what's down there.

*a small tip - never bring your rod past 45 degrees on a big fish, after 45 degrees rods break.

you got an epic story out of it though and video - very cool

Did the fish run at all? By the sounds of the story it sounds like a skate, just holding itself to bottom and just inching up - halibut on salmon gear usually scream off a lot of line IME.

If it was a halibut it was a big one, I've had hali to 60lbs on salmon gear and they only take 5 mins to bring in at that size. That's the beauty of fishing though, you never know what's down there.

*a small tip - never bring your rod past 45 degrees on a big fish, after 45 degrees rods break.

you got an epic story out of it though and video - very cool

Oh it ran. It ran alright. And this was with the drag cranked pretty damn tight.

Thanks for the tip. To clarify, do you mean 45 degrees from the water? This sounds right though as it was when I was trying to heave it up the last few feet needed and rod angle was steeper than 45. Broke time at the ferrel on the butt end. Good thing though is it was a technium and outfitters replaced no problem under warranty. Pays to get the gear with warranty. Thanks island outfitters.

i wonder too in a case like that if you should just take the rod out of the picture - carry a good pair of gloves and just handline the beast? Hell, that was the way I fished for hali 15 years ago anyway - take the rod out the picture - buddy can reel while you hand crank? Just a thought?

Oh it ran. It ran alright. And this was with the drag cranked pretty damn tight.

Thanks for the tip. To clarify, do you mean 45 degrees from the water? This sounds right though as it was when I was trying to heave it up the last few feet needed and rod angle was steeper than 45. Broke time at the ferrel on the butt end. Good thing though is it was a technium and outfitters replaced no problem under warranty. Pays to get the gear with warranty. Thanks island outfitters.

Ya I mean 45 degrees from the water is the strongest arc your rod can have, as you go higher it moves the stress point up the rod and eventually it will fail.

Sorry to doubt it was a hali, sounds like you a monster on, maybe you'll bump into him again one day.

Ya I mean 45 degrees from the water is the strongest arc your rod can have, as you go higher it moves the stress point up the rod and eventually it will fail.

Sorry to doubt it was a hali, sounds like you a monster on, maybe you'll bump into him again one day.

Thanks for the info Poppa. will definitely be more aware of the rod angle if I'm caught in this situation again.

I was thinking about the skate theory today while out for a solo troll in Sooke. I think if it was a skate, the 30lb leader would have broke early on it the fight. They have kinda abrasive skin and the leader would have been rubbing against the fish quite a bit since mouth is on the underside. Also when we had it at about 8' from the surface, we could see the spoon down there in the dark water. If it was a skate, I don't think we would have seen the spoon at all.
Everything about that battle says big halibut to me.

Another thing I am taking away from this awesome experience is Berkley Big game line is a ok in my books. Also, I must be doing something right with my knots since I put quite the stress on the gear and the rod is what finally gave. A strong rod at that.

I don't think hand lining that thing would have worked as it took off a few times and had some serious head shakes that the rod absorbed quite well. A little more patience might have been the ticket, but really, since we were on a buddies boat, and he isn't set up for halibut, it would have been a **** show trying to land that thing without harpoon or gaff. I'm happy that we didn't have to decide whether to try and kill it, or release it.

Good effort on the butt! We hook them on salmon gear and sometimes we get them in but it's a lot tougher when they have a bad attitude like that one. !!

Well the Rock and I moved our moorage from the inner harbour to Sooke today and got our limit in springs and coho by 11am on our trip West! Two springs were low 20's and the others 10 to 12lbs. Coho were 5-8 lbs probably. Released a bunch of wilds. Lots of fun compared to some recent OB trips. However...heard some good springs were caught at the breakwater this am.

Hit the flats yesterday and landed a 15lb spring on slack. First one I've caught there. Weather was good with half a dozen other boats out.

Nice had a doubleheader last year both 24 lb cromers on baitrics , I use no. 4/0 Vmc strong hooks.thanks for the info boomer

I was there from 9AM until 2PM and never saw anyone hooked up with a fish, nor a net in the water. Fished it hard last Tuesday and saw only one fish caught, same as last Sunday.

I used to fish there.. when I got a big one on,I liked to pull it out of the kelp bed,then land it away from from prying eyes ;) Between the clueless power boaters,shore casters,downriggers and seals, landing them is another thing.

I used to fish there.. when I got a big one on,I liked to pull it out of the kelp bed,then land it away from from prying eyes ;) Between the clueless power boaters,shore casters,downriggers and seals, landing them is another thing.
Sammy...sorry you had a bad experience fishing the Breakwater.
As those net pen fish start coming in Mid July thru August, it is one of the nicest and easiest fishing spots to fish...almost always calm seas, never need to go deeper than 60’. Weed can sometimes be a problem. Generally not too many boats during the week.
The shore casters have NEVER caused me a problem, but your right about the damn Seals, but that’s common in many areas nowadays.
Generally, if you get a fish, it will be a good one....Only fished the Breakwater 3 times last year and managed one, two and three Springs each trip, 20 to 30 pounds.
May try it tomorrow.

Believe me I've put my time in on the breakwater.. the last couple of weeks of Aug - early Sept can be on fire,if there are fish.At times there can be a good ratio of hard fighting whites,thanks to Esquimalt Anlgers (pen program) & Harrison River.
Calm Seas? Ask porcupine about the waves from the pilot boats etc.Anyhoo,now there is a speed limit (inside the breakwater)

Back