Victoria 2014 Reports

Got out to Constance with a buddy and our two sons Saturday afternoon. It was non stop action on some of my home made sand lance/needlefish spoons. 4 passes by a particular spot. 1st pass double header 8lbers both in boat, 2nd pass double header lost both, 3rd pass another 9lb in boat. 4th pass finished off with a 19lb hatchery marked. It was an action packed 1.5 hours and the boys has a blast.

Couldn't resist and went out this afternoon also for an hour with my oldest son. Only one hit bit it was a scrappy 15lb white male chinook.

All heads went in the recovery drop box. The smaller springs were packed with needlefish and the big ones had 8" herring in them.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Now that's a great report!! Well done and good job on the fathering...I'm sure the boys are HOOKED!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Andrew, that's an interesting little spoon you have there. Do you have anymore pictures and what's the chance of picking up a few? Thanks.;) eman

Looks like a coho killer, e man

They are actually a fair bit different than a coho killer. Coho killers are awesome, but different. These are longer, different bend, contour, length, metal guage and the shape. What gives them a unique action is the fact that they are not symmetrical such as the (awesome looking!) ones that SeaFever put up. Again, similar but different. I'll leave it at that and start a new thread to get all of your feedback/abuse. ;)

anyone heading out tomorrow? if im reading it right tides are looking good at Constance? wind is going to be light in the AM

Fishing the flats

Was out fishing in Craven's back yard and pulled these 2 out of there this morning. Did you have any luck RS, I saw you out there this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_0936.jpg
    IMG_0936.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 964
  • IMG_0916.jpg
    IMG_0916.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 958
Pretty great day for Hali fishing off Albert Head. Ended up with two chickens for the two of us on board. Fished for four hours - missed two other good bites, and lost a absolutle beauty at the side of the boat. Almost on the limit I'm sure - about 60lbs. The metal part of my harpoon shaft came out of the wood, I don't know if it let the tip fall out easier but either way the fish dislodged it during a powerful run. Partner loosened his drag too much when he say the fish take off after the thrashing and bird-nested the reel, snapping it off. I can handle losing fish, but it always kills me when I've mortally wounded one that escapes. Feel like an idiot.

Overall though, fantastic day and gorgeous weather. Lots of boats out halibut fishing.

Was out fishing in Craven's back yard and pulled these 2 out of there this morning. Did you have any luck RS, I saw you out there this morning.

Saw you as well Chero, released 3 around 5 lbs and bonked an 8lb.
Not hot yet, but it's almost time!

Pulled 2 chickens off the depths near Pedder. Nice day. Heard of some halis from Constance as well. Saw two guys at the dock who didn't get their halis but caught a 20# plus spring on the hali gear on the bottom. Only heard of this once before when a friend told me that a spring once grabbed his hali gear while letting down. But by the sounds of it these guys today got the spring biting while the gear was sitting still. You just never know!

Yup, happened to us as well several years ago. Fishing for halibut on anchor off Victoria we hooked up a 30+lb. Spring that swallowed a 12" silver shinny Mackerel half way into its mouth. I remember it wasn't fighting like a halibut we couldn't figure it out till it came into view and our jaws dropped in awwwe. Quickly dropped the harpoon to grab the net. Was one to remember for sure.
Another time jigging for cod off of Sooke I had the ugliest lure on, it was a banana weight that I had painted at home and modified with a hook and a swivel. Jigging away hooked into what I thought was a lingcod or some thing, it comes up and was a 15lb. spring! Yup, you just never know.

Pulled 2 chickens off the depths near Pedder. Nice day. Heard of some halis from Constance as well. Saw two guys at the dock who didn't get their halis but caught a 20# plus spring on the hali gear on the bottom. Only heard of this once before when a friend told me that a spring once grabbed his hali gear while letting down. But by the sounds of it these guys today got the spring biting while the gear was sitting still. You just never know!

Went out with good pal Andrew P for an afternoon fish. Little bumpy for the ride out and slight chop on the bank, but totally fishable. We exclusively fished a couple of Andrew's needlefish spoons near bottom, and they did well for the short time we were out. Came home with 3 nice hatch jobs measuring 26",29"30". Probably around 8, 12 and 14 lb. Lost another heavy hitter. Great time on the water and after it was more good times with our wives and kids over at Andrew's place for dinner. Life is good.
10259770_10154054421010133_5014150671053573644_n.jpg

Any guesses on what did this damage?..........
1924979_10154054421020133_4291703678040917449_n.jpg

10171695_10154054421015133_5476226744256055108_n.jpg

This fish was packed full of needlefish, but obviously wanted more since it hit the spoon.
10157296_10154054421340133_6370091605502426260_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
nice fish and congrats on the spoon working out for you guys. now can someone please make a squirt of spoon the size of those needlefish?

Nice day on the water today, mountains, city, sun and fish!

Headed over to Constance to make withdrawal of a nice 10 lbs spring and a 10lbs halibut trolling. Hooked a leviathan as well but could not get it up from the briny deep before it bent my hook. Having luck with the blue speckle backed hoochie/squirt, and the old Krippled K(chrome and brass, or straight chrome). All close to bottom.

Thanks Zed for supplying the boat...orange is my favourite colour!

Back