Victoria 2014 Reports

Strange indeed. Did you notice the boat handling different or just notice back at the dock?

If you didn't notice until back home (seems unlikely) could it have happened on the way out or even before the trip all together?

I'd think there would be a thump if you hit something hard enough to shear a blade off.

Was doing 28 Mph coming in and right at ogden point light house just went from smooth the mad vibration throttled back and slowley crused in.no prop shaft dammage

What size prop you have, a got a used 15.25 15p that looks similiar you can have.

Attachments

• IMG_00000353.jpg
    IMG_00000353.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 790
Sux when that happens but could have been worse, good thing a new prop is only about 100-200$. And the good thing is you now can try out some different style or sized props to see if you can get better performance or handling.

Great day. Weather was pretty decent out on Constance, fishing was not super hot, but we managed to bring three decent springs into the boat. I lost one beside the boat after it put up a spirited fight...next time fish...and you will be bigger! Two wild 7 pounders, and a hatch 8 and change, all great fighters, and all scored as double headers...which was awesome! Fish, when they hit, didn't differentiate between spoons and hoochies.

My son pulled in one of the fish, then jumped on the helm...getting to be a great helmsmen.

Zed always a pleasure on your boat, next time on mine...just not so early...this isn't the summer yet!

image.jpg

Great day. Weather was pretty decent out on Constance, fishing was not super hot, but we managed to bring three decent springs into the boat. I lost one beside the boat after it put up a spirited fight...next time fish...and you will be bigger! Two wild 7 pounders, and a hatch 8 and change, all great fighters, and all scored as double headers...which was awesome! Fish, when they hit, didn't differentiate between spoons and hoochies.

My son pulled in one of the fish, then jumped on the helm...getting to be a great helmsmen.

Zed always a pleasure on your boat, next time on mine...just not so early...this isn't the summer yet!

View attachment 11603

nice fish.....I can see a seal in your picture looking at your son`s fish. LOL

Thanks for the fishing report DVL - keep them coming. Too bad there are only a few people willing to report on this site anymore.

Couple of Hali by 9am off Constance. One on herring and 1 on octopus.
Trolled for salmon for an hour after that. Missed 1 pin popper right away then no luck.

Awesome weather and a fun morning.

Tips

Out at the 27 this morning. No Hali, just some sole and Dogs. At 9am, the current started to pick up so I pulled the anchor. As I went to pull the line into the boat, the anchor started heading back to the bottom. After 30 minutes of hand pulling the line, my hands were raw and this 60lb mass of crap was wrapped about the anchor. Some slob dumped leaf springs, scrap iron and 100`s of feet of down rigger wire in a heavy duty plastic sack. It`s now in the dumpster at Pedder.

It`s amazes me that somebody can afford a boat and gas but is too damn cheap to spend $4 to drop off the garbage.

nice fish.....I can see a seal in your picture looking at your son`s fish. LOL

That seal is in every photo--the best was when some lady came down and started calling it by name and hand feeding it--my son was like "lady please watch your fingers!," then he turned to me and was like"she is crazy!" I was so proud to see how smart he has become...to bad he is becoming a teenager soon.

It`s amazes me that somebody can afford a boat and gas but is too damn cheap to spend $4 to drop off the garbage.
At least you got the anchor back--thats good luck! Not sure where 27 is but I was talking to someone that was telling me Constance used to be Victoria's garbage dump...just take it out by scow and dump away, not sure if that is true or not...but I wouldnt put it past the old timers, hell people still think the ocean takes it all away...sewage and all!

I live out pass Durance lake...you should see the people that figure out the dump is closed and just dump whatever on the side of the road--I swear I will just pull up behind with my truck and push theirs into the Bush!

Be thankful it was not a worn out discarded commercial fishing net. Apparently for the better part of a hundred years a great many were lost or dumped overboard and there are hundreds if not thousands of them down there on the bottom and apparently they still kill marine species. I hope it is unlawful and there is $100,000. fine or so to dump that now and if not it should be because I suspect it was both a problem solved and a big disposal cost money saver. I recall reading an article that I think Washington State has/had a program to map them and was slowly removing them at huge cost to their taxpayers. With our govt’s resistance to spend anything more than tiny amounts for PR purposes for our coast, it would seem less likely Canada is doing this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished Constance 7 to 11. Got three Springs in the boat, lost another right at the boat, and had a long line release. Fish were around 8 - 13lbs, all hatchery. Did best right on top of the bank, towards the west side - cop car spoon and green glow hootchie seemed equally good. Most guys seemed to be leaving around 11 with the stronger ebb picking up.

Flat seas, a little rain but great day!

around 8 - 13lbs... cop car spoon and green glow hootchie seemed equally good.!

We're they good fighters, maybe after some of the smaller fish we had this winter I have found these guys pretty feisty!

And the spoon vs hoochie didn't seem to make a difference with us either...seems like they are just opertunistic feeding.

Last edited by a moderator:
OB flats yesterday afternoon for a couple hours. One about 7 lbs (netted inches in front of a seal) and lost another. The one other boat out there was clobbering them one after another, although all looked fairly small.

OB flats yesterday afternoon for a couple hours. One about 7 lbs (netted inches in front of a seal) and lost another. The one other boat out there was clobbering them one after another, although all looked fairly small.

I know the other boat that was out and they certainly did well. Most were in the range that you got (6-8lb) but up to 12lb or so. The sandlance spoons that I have been making was what was doing well for them.

I made it out for a couple very short but successful outings over the weekend. Out for hali on anchor from 7-9am on Saturday and we got 2 nice chickens around 20lb each. AND....not a single dog fish!! Our only 2 bites were rod bending hali hits.

Then, sunday my toddler and I headed out to connie for the current switch and fished from 330-5pm. Missed a couple of pin poppers but brought home a scrappy 6-7lb unclipped. I have personally never seen so many seals out there. There must have been about 20 in one zone. I didn't hang around there to find out how hungry they were and luckily when the hook up did come, there were no seals where I was. Stomach was empty and he took the sandlance spoon.

photo1.jpg

I know the other boat that was out and they certainly did well. Most were in the range that you got (6-8lb) but up to 12lb or so. The sandlance spoons that I have been making was what was doing well for them.

I made it out for a couple very short but successful outings over the weekend. Out for hali on anchor from 7-9am on Saturday and we got 2 nice chickens around 20lb each. AND....not a single dog fish!! Our only 2 bites were rod bending hali hits.

Then, sunday my toddler and I headed out to connie for the current switch and fished from 330-5pm. Missed a couple of pin poppers but brought home a scrappy 6-7lb unclipped. I have personally never seen so many seals out there. There must have been about 20 in one zone. I didn't hang around there to find out how hungry they were and luckily when the hook up did come, there were no seals where I was. Stomach was empty and he took the sandlance spoon.

View attachment 11621

Ya, I second the seal thing on Sunday. I would literally pass through over 20 seals at a time, but was also lucky and none of my fish were taken by them.

Back