Victoria 2014 Reports

Are pacific cod ever out of season? I got a little bait size one in February but let it go thinking lings don't open until may 1st so those guys might be closed too.

It's hilarious catching tiny fish halibut fishing a few times I've caught little Hali or other tiny fish on bait three times their size.

Edit: thanks for looking that up Craven. Wow 8 per day on a relatively rare species for southern Vancouver island. I take it no size limit either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like they are open all year

SpeciesAreaDaily LimitOpen TimesGearManagement Measures
Codfish1 to 29 8
Apr 1 - Mar 31Hook and line, spearIncludes: Pacific Cod, Pacific Tomcod, Pollock

<tbody>
</tbody>

@westburg: Seems you caught the same octo I had last fall. Same dimensions only that I figured it to be around 50#...lol. And lucky you to bring it up from 180' - I did from 300'. How tought does that make me, he? lol

@Chris73, from last year, this one would have grown to at least 100lbs. 300', that would have hurt. You are the king. lol. That one pic of the welded aluminium looks like my boat. Was it wednesday or thursday at constance? Your boat looks familiar like I saw it I believe wednesday.

Watched a inner harbour guide come off the waterfront today 2pm . 6 fish for party of 4. Two fish pretty puny.

@Chris73, from last year, this one would have grown to at least 100lbs. 300', that would have hurt. You are the king. lol. That one pic of the welded aluminium looks like my boat. Was it wednesday or thursday at constance? Your boat looks familiar like I saw it I believe wednesday.[/QUOTE]

Do you think they grow that fast, eh? Incredible creatures for sure. Can't kill them for that. No, that was Sun at the mudhole.

anyone heading out to constance tomorrow? (thursday) looks like the weather may be ok in the AM..what do you guys think?

Cheers

Looks windy as hell off Vic waterfront tomorrow so considering going out to the inlet for some prawns and then considering burning around the corner and trying for some springs around Sidney. Anyone been salmon fishing Sidney lately?

We fished the channel this week. Not a hit, no bait. It was a very fast ebb, wish we could have fished the tide change as that's when it usually happens there for us.
we did see herring schools at wain rock on our way back in, wish I didn't have a curfew

Snuck out with the whole family for a quick hali fish at the tide change this afternoon. Got our 2 hali - 27lbs and 42 lbs in less than 2 hours2014 April 19 Hali.jpg. Got back to the dock as the rain started to come down.

Nice job! Get those kids some licenses you could have stayed.

It's not about how many you kill, but how you enjoy the day and the memories with the family. If they have a decent vacuum sealer, they have months worth of food and a lifetime of memories.

Back