VHF operators license

Stosh

I understand that you now need an operators license to use a VHF radio. I just bought a used boat with a vhf radio. If I don't have an operators license, do I have to remove the radio, or just simply not use it? If all u do is have it on and listen to weather reports and channel 16 but not transmit - is this ok?
Is there a fine involved if you do not have a license?
Thanks
Stosh

You need an operators licence to transmit, but not just to listen. A vhf radio is a must imo, but if you are in distress, and transmit, common sense would dictate ,anybody but an overzealous officer , would turn a blind eye to your offense.

Gungadin,
Thanks for the common sense reply - my thoughts exactly.
Wondering if anyone out there has been checked?
Stosh

Last year I was right in sooke harbour asked for my card at same time looking at safety gear. Yes there is a fine but some guys look for it some don't. Out of anything to do get that's a course that's easy to do and once you have it you have it for life anyway.

I don't think you should be running a radio personally if you can't pass the course that's my opinion. The day you need an you call a distress to have to initiate a mayday relay or something and communicate with CCG like can make the difference of saving people's lives. Many idiots out there talking on channel 16 , calling a distress when they run out of gas...It's endless. Get the course! Just makes more work for all of us out there with guys that talk on it like a CB radio and confuse CCG...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a very good course. Lots of info I found useful. I also got my Ham a Radio license shortly after. Use both radios all the time. One in the boat for marine stuf and one on land in my truck.

No kidding, it's an invaluable course. I was out on Saturday, and it's amazing all the stuff you hear.
Asking for radio checks on channel 16 and the coast guard constantly reminding people to use channel 83A.
Not waiting 2 mins before hailing another party when they don't receive a reply. Asking the Coast Guard if Whiskey Golf is active on channel 16 when it's repeatedly broadcast on channel 03. It seems like a lot of people don't know the potential of their DSC radios.

Ok, sounds like the course would make sense. Where does one take the course?
Stosh

I think it's a good idea. what i'm not sure i care for is that it can't be done online or challenged online. there are very few places that actually have a power squadron that has the test, and when they do it's not held very often. a person from a small town or the interior is pretty much out of luck. it's 2014 and the pcoc can be done online... why not the roc-m ? or at least have it where you could go down to a government agents office and write it....

I agree, I have a boat now with radio - but can't take the course till fall and write the test - if I can find a date that works. 3 nights of 2 hours of course, 1.5 + hours of driving. If I could do it online and test locally - would do it immediately. There are some that offer online /self study - but still no online testing or local testing for me. If I can challenge the firearms test - certainly VHF radio should be one that can be challenged as well.

The most important part of the test is the oral exam where you have to do a number of calls in front of proctor with different scenarios. I think its 50% the multiple choice and the 50% rest you have to demonstrate. That part of the test clearly shows if you know the material or not. I think this is why it can't be challenged .Probably run fall courses through local power squadrons.... There are a number of private companies as well that offer courses monthly....

Last edited by a moderator:
x3 on worth it to get the VHF licence.. you will get you restricted operators certificate after about 3 months in the mail....once you complete the day in the classroom you will realize just how important it is to know how to use it properly...<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yR0lWICH3rY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The other day on 71 coming out of the harbour (consultants derby) I announced on the VHF a warning about the tug and log barge off of sooke and ill admit the training by the instructor was a valuable lesson on how to do it right....

http://www.headsupnav.com/

here is the woman i took the course with...

Meanwhile, down here in the states where a license is not required.... I heard a guy call twice on channel 16 this past Sat. for a fishing report.

You need an operators licence to transmit, but not just to listen. A vhf radio is a must imo, but if you are in distress, and transmit, common sense would dictate ,anybody but an overzealous officer , would turn a blind eye to your offense.

I'd double check your advice. I took the course this past spring from the Nanaimo Power Squadron. They taught us that the legal definition of operating a radio is simply turning it on. Take the course and get the license. It was only $85.00.
Dave

You need to take the course. There's an operating protocol that needs to be learned and adhered to. It's not like a operating CB radio.

If you go to the power squadron website they list the course and where you can take it. I have different access as I was a trainer but I seem to remember you could download the course and then arrange with your local squadron to write the test. It came as a CD or a download.

Back