VHF operators license

Yah, that's all fine and dandy. And I will take the course. The next courses are not till the fall. Now this to me is dumb. They should be offered through out the summer months. So I will be on the water this summer fishing without a VHF Radio...:confused:

I took the course when I bought a boat that had a radio installed and have since responded to Pan Pan calls from Victoria Coastguard. I can tell you that I'm really glad I took the course as they are very particular about how they want you to communicate with them. I doubt anyone would be able to follow the protocol without previous instruction - I sure couldn't.

I think it's important that we are available to offer assistance when necessary and part of being able to do that is learning how to converse on a VHF radio. If you get in trouble yourself, you will be glad you have the knowledge to request assistance properly.

The course is a bit of a pain, but well worth it.

I'm on V. Isle and a recognized examiner and course provider for this course. I will run a custom course if there's a group of guys who need it done. Otherwise I teach it once or twice a month via North Island College.

Yah, that's all fine and dandy. And I will take the course. The next courses are not till the fall. Now this to me is dumb. They should be offered through out the summer months. So I will be on the water this summer fishing without a VHF Radio...:confused:

Could be that those who give the courses are boaters and therefore, being summer, like to get away on their boats. There's really no excuse for not having a license. It's nothing new. It's always been a requirement
Dave

If the instructors are from the Canadian Power and Sail squadron they are not paid for their
time or efforts.

Could be that those who give the courses are boaters and therefore, being summer, like to get away on their boats. There's really no excuse for not having a license. It's nothing new. It's always been a requirement
Dave
Just bought a new to me boat!!!! You dumb butt.

I think the ROC-M should be a part of the pleasure craft operators license curriculum. Might be the only useful part of the program...

I'd be curious to find out how many recreational boaters who use the marine VHF in the Victoria and Sooke areas actually are licensed. Anyone prepared to offer educated guesses based on what they know or hear on the radio?

I think it's a good idea. what i'm not sure i care for is that it can't be done online or challenged online. there are very few places that actually have a power squadron that has the test, and when they do it's not held very often. a person from a small town or the interior is pretty much out of luck. it's 2014 and the pcoc can be done online... why not the roc-m ? or at least have it where you could go down to a government agents office and write it....

This^^^^^^ I can get licensed to operate a 50+mph motor vehicle over the internet, but a radio, that is serious stuff requiring hands on training.

Just bought a new to me boat!!!! You dumb butt.
You know, Dennis - you've asked a lot of great questions on this thread, and you've go a lot of great advice. This response of yours really sucks. Calling a guy a "dumb butt" because he's pointing out the fact that our beloved Federal Government leaves the training requirement for VHF radio certification to volunteers is pretty crass IMHO. So you've just bought a boat and are now finding out what you need to do legally operate the thing -- which may cause you some inconvenience, doesn't mean the guy who points out that you might have figured out what you needed to do to operate the thing legally before you bought it is a "dumb butt". I suspect you knew before you bought your first car that you might need a drivers licence before you actually got behind the wheel.

You know, Dennis - you've asked a lot of great questions on this thread, and you've go a lot of great advice. This response of yours really sucks. Calling a guy a "dumb butt" because he's pointing out the fact that our beloved Federal Government leaves the training requirement for VHF radio certification to volunteers is pretty crass IMHO. So you've just bought a boat and are now finding out what you need to do legally operate the thing -- which may cause you some inconvenience, doesn't mean the guy who points out that you might have figured out what you needed to do to operate the thing legally before you bought it is a "dumb butt". I suspect you knew before you bought your first car that you might need a drivers licence before you actually got behind the wheel.
You know what the best part about the internet is? When someone pisses you off, you can turn your computer off! Which is what I will do now, before I say anything more on this thread. Good night!

Often wondered about the question posed earlier.....

I have a radio-operator's license....

My wife does not.....

We fish together often...

If for any reason I went overboard and she was left alone on the boat....and....she gets on the radio for assistance to save my life etc. (which in her case would be complete lack of verbal protocol formality)....

How hard are they going to come down on her for being an unlicensed operator?

(btw.....I too was told in the course that simply turning the radio on constitutes "operating" it)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that escalated quickly... Give a call to your local power squadron branch and see when they are available for testing. Get the e-text and learn the material at home then head down and write the test, takes about 45 mins including the practical I think... Alexa from Nanaimo power squadron will accommodate people pretty much and time of any day with a bit of notice. Great person to deal with.

Cheers

How hard are they going to come down on her for being an unlicensed

They will not come down on her as it is an emergency situation. However, I would suggest she gets the training as it can be very helpful in that situation if she is able to communicate efficiently with help.

As far as protocol goes in an emergency, there's a line in the book that says this: "these procedures shall not prevent a vessel in distress from making use of any means at it's disposal to attract attention, make known it's position and obtain assistance."

The calling procedures and whatnot are important in a distress situation as it is an efficient means of getting the right info across but not knowing the procedures should never stop you from attempting to get help in an emergency. You do what you have to to survive.

My wife does not.....

If for any reason I went overboard and she was left alone on the boat....and....she gets on the radio for assistance to save my life etc. (which in her case would be complete lack of verbal protocol formality)....

(btw.....I too was told in the course that simply turning the radio on constitutes "operating" it)

If you are in distress they are way more forgiving than if you are generally talking on 16. Everyone that I have talked to in the boating industry say's over 80% of the people out there do not have their ROC license (this in itself is not good). I do not have a ROC license. I used to suck on the radio, but I am getting better (I hate talking on the radio). I'm taking the course real soon.......just to be legal. I talk on the radio very seldom. Usually giving out bad co-ordinates during tuna shootouts :rolleyes:. Since then I have had my GPS hooked up properly to my VHF radio :).

I'd be curious to find out how many recreational boaters who use the marine VHF in the Victoria and Sooke areas actually are licensed. Anyone prepared to offer educated guesses based on what they know or hear on the radio?

I would like to offer my 2 cents on this.

I am a military guy who was trained how to use, talk and record what is said over many radios including VHF AM, VHF FM, UHF and even HF radios. We used to have other retired guys who would monitor these radio frequencies and if you made a mistake or a blatant misuse of the radio, they would send a "rocket" as they were called, back to your home unit and report what they heard. You would then be raked over the coals for your mistakes upon your return.

I was out fishing yesterday and based on what I heard on channel 16, it sounded like a bunch of kids trying to talk at the same time. People continually hailing on 16 non-stop. They were stepping on each other and I am sure the Coast Guard must be pulling their hair out. I am sure they have cell phones that can serve them much better and it would free up channel 16 for it main purpose, SAFETY. I can only hope that they would know enough to stop talking if they heard a PAN or MAYDAY call.

So to try and answer your question, I think there are quite a few people out there with no radio license or they completely disregard the training they have received.

Good question. The reality is, the Coast Guard radio stations (currently Comox, Tofino, Victoria, Prince Rupert) monitor Ch 16, vessel traffic and a couple of their preferred working channels in their area, they don't have manpower or time to monitor the rest of the channels most of us use for regular chatting with other vessels. The Coast Guard do not set or enforce any boating regulations (eg. they don't check for lifejackets, or radio cards, or flares, or booze), they are a different outfit than their U.S. counterparts in that regard. The CCG Auxiliary (aka RCM-SAR volunteers) may do a pleasure craft courtesy check on the boat ramp of your safety gear and certifications, but no obligation or enforcement attached to that).

If the CCG radio operators think someone is unnecessarily tying up Ch 16 or using profanity on, they'll tell them to move to a working channel and be more responsible with their radio use. If someone is jamming channel 16 and it's a problem, they'll send out the nearest CCG vessel and get them to ping/directionally find that vessel (which they can also do if you are in distress and lost, basically hone in on you by you keying your mic on a designated frequency) to tell them their mic is jammed.

If they suspect someone of issuing a false Mayday, which is a criminal code offense, they can send a report to the RCMP and Industry Canada, as IC are the one's who set radio regulations. It's up to the RCMP and/or IC to follow up. When I take my classes on tours of the CCG radio station, the operators say most of the time a "Mayday" call starts out with the words, spoke quietly, "is there anybody out there or can anyone hear me". From there they get the info that a vessel is sinking or taking on water, etc. At the end of the day, all bets are off in an emergency and nobody is going to charge someone for using the radio to call for help if they are doing it in good faith and don't happen to use the official Mayday language or have the ROC-M card. However, knowing how to properly issue a Mayday or Mayday relay and how to efficiently and accurately give a position is one of the most important reasons to take a ROC-M course, regardless of whether you'll ever be checked for your ROC-M card on the water.

Good discussion, IMHO we can only control our own actions on the radio-- there are many people out there who are simply ignorant to the intended use of Ch. 16. Also, I just don't just rely on my radio when I'm out on my own p/c as the only way to call for help. My SPOT unit is always within arms reach or on me, portable VHF/flares in my ditch kit. A fixed VHF only works if the battery is above the water... if my boat swamps for whatever reason, likely my fixed radio won't work at that point.

My wife does not.....

Coastal Marine has pretty well summed it all up. CH16 is red on the radio for a reason, it is the 911 of the coast. It as well as a number of other Coast Guard channels are monitored 24/7 from various remote transmitter receivers. The person monitoring for that quiet call "is anyone out there, can anyone hear me" has to separate that from all the "Hey Billybob how is the fishing calls". Not every call is clear or readable at strength 5. It is the strength 1 calls that scare you because you may not hear or understand everything. In the background are how many ignorant people talking about fishing, groceries, yada yada.

When Coast Guard Radio gets on and sounds po'd it is probably because he has heard hours upon hours, days upon days of it in the summer. Pick a unmonitored frequency and go to town and leave CH16 alone, it should be quiet for that 1 call that needs assistance. Pre-arrange a frequency before you leave the dock and scan it.

Nobody is going to call you on radio procedures in a real emergency or distress situation. That is what it is there for, and the professionals at the other end would rather hear from you sooner rather later when the unexpected happens. They will lead you through what they want you to do and solicit help on your behalf. Pretty good service that deserves our respect. Stay of CH16 and let them do their jobs.

Also, I'm not sure if most people realize that most VHF radios have a high and a low power transmit setting. Typically these are 25W and 1W on recreation VHF radios but the power levels can vary. If you're in a high traffic area or just trying to hail a buddy in the same general locale, use the low power setting. Reserve the high power setting for real emergencies or for hailing someone who you expect to be far away. Almost every week this year on Ch 68 or 69 I hear the same (apparently drunk) guy droning on with his buddy about the fishing, the wife, flap jacks and a variety of other topics. I think he's in the Tofino/Uclulet area but I can hear that guy as far south as La Push. Anyone WCVCI who fishes regularly probably will recognize this guy on the radio.:D

Back