Vancouver Saltchuk

quote:Originally posted by dmurph

spent all day from early until 7 pm off south bowen with the wife today. She had 5 undersize on her gear and my rod had nothing. Hope today was just an off day for the springs. be back out tomorrow. Dropped a couple prawn traps off bowen 25 big ones in my cheap trap and 2 in my new commercial traps. One crab trap had 8 big ones and the other had bait eaten but no crab.

I just find it so hard to believe that it was that hot out there. We go out and fish beside these guys and they catch nothing? I won't be believing these reports as much in the future.

quote:I just find it so hard to believe that it was that hot out there. We go out and fish beside these guys and they catch nothing? I won't be believing these reports as much in the future.
Agreed!

In the past I've taken one notorious poster here to task when I've been within a few hundred yards of him all evening neither of us took a fish and he posts about 2 x 16# Springs he took home-it's Bee Ess over & over & over. [V]

All I know is that a week ago Friday...we had good luck and am hoping for the same tomorrow!

Getbent

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

spent all day from early until 7 pm off south bowen with the wife today. She had 5 undersize on her gear and my rod had nothing. Hope today was just an off day for the springs. be back out tomorrow. Dropped a couple prawn traps off bowen 25 big ones in my cheap trap and 2 in my new commercial traps. One crab trap had 8 big ones and the other had bait eaten but no crab.

I just find it so hard to believe that it was that hot out there. We go out and fish beside these guys and they catch nothing? I won't be believing these reports as much in the future.

Hello Brisco and Dogbreath ! Just did a bit of "research" on fishing results for April 28th, the day Brisco found it really slow. April 28th was definately slow day off Bowen overall so don't lose too much confidence in reports. There are slow days going to be mixed in. There certainly can be BS in reports as you imply and as Dogbreath states but I can tell you there has been some very good mornings and afternoons out there off Bowen. The biggest obstacle for this year so far seems to be WIND. Whether one can fish effectively in a 3-4 ft chop or get out there at all in the wind is an issue ! . Last Sunday the wind died, the sun came out and from all reports ( I wasn't out :() it was probably the best fishing day so far this Spring from what I heard from reliable sources. It was especially good later in the morning and afternoon flood. Some days you can troll around hitting nothing for 3 hours then suddenly you have a couple double headers and you are limited out in the next half hour. If you went home a tad earlier, you would have missed the bite come on or missed hitting that school of fish.

My point here is that you can get slow periods or slow days out there that may make a great report from the day before ( or earlier that day) seem like BS, when it actually isn't.

quote:Originally posted by getbent

All I know is that a week ago Friday...we had good luck and am hoping for the same tomorrow!

Getbent

Hey Getbent, do you run a Sea Swirl?
Was that you running in toward Bowen after pulling your lines? You ran slowly a stern of my 17' DEagle last Saturday as the wind was gusting to 20+ . I was pulling my lines to escape the brutal wind and white water:D

Yeah Peahead I do run a Seaswirl... Team Canada Hockey flag on the antennae but I wasn't there on Monday...I was out last friday...hopefully tomorrow.

What color is your D. Eagle peahead

Anybody going out tomorrow?

Getbent

quote:Originally posted by Peahead

Hello Brisco and Dogbreath ! Just did a bit of "research" on fishing results for April 28th, the day Brisco found it really slow. April 28th was definately slow day off Bowen overall so don't lose too much confidence in reports. There are slow days going to be mixed in. There certainly can be BS in reports as you imply and as Dogbreath states but I can tell you there has been some very good mornings and afternoons out there off Bowen. The biggest obstacle for this year so far seems to be WIND. Whether one can fish effectively in a 3-4 ft chop or get out there at all in the wind is an issue ! . Last Sunday the wind died, the sun came out and from all reports ( I wasn't out :() it was probably the best fishing day so far this Spring from what I heard from reliable sources. It was especially good later in the morning and afternoon flood. Some days you can troll around hitting nothing for 3 hours then suddenly you have a couple double headers and you are limited out in the next half hour. If you went home a tad earlier, you would have missed the bite come on or missed hitting that school of fish.

My point here is that you can get slow periods or slow days out there that may make a great report from the day before ( or earlier that day) seem like BS, when it actually isn't.

Absolutely!!!

Brisco/Dogbreath, I know BonChovy's Boats and I can tell you those pictures are REAL and were taken on the days in question and there no "BeeEss" there. Sunday was definitely one of the best days of the year with each boat putting at least 2 in the box...many putting 3 in the box and losing many/some as well. I will swear on a stack of bibles this to you.

A guy I know was fishing Tuesday morning and hit 4 coming in around 12 lbs in a one hour stretch. Each day is different. Vancouver has consistent fishing....and oftentimes, it's those inconsistencies which get hit by those who aren't on the water as much and then the guys who are out there all the time get accused of telling stories.

Fishing is just that...fishing..and catching is variable.

I remember one very memorable day fishing off Point Grey and the T10 several years ago and coming back to the launch with 3 Nice Springs (the largest at 32 lbs) and one Chrome 12 lb Chum. I saw 2 other fish caught by the other 30 odd boats we were fishing the company of. I went back to the launch and started cleaning them up. Everyone at the launch said "Where were you fishing?!" "Right in the same place you were...we saw you out there!".

Fishing was "good" for us, but not so great for them. Likewise, I've gone out there and gotten skunked while other boats had quite a bit of action. It's happened to all of us.

Dogbreath, to go out there and call it "BeeEss over and over and over" isn't fair comment unless you were on the boats in question on that day. An individual with your YEARS of fishing experience knows this to be true. There are many, very experienced fishers and charter operators in Vancouver who had a lot of fun on Sunday and we know just how good the fishing was and how consistent it has been over the last 2 weeks. Calling it BeeEss does a tremendous disservice to us. [B)]

Call up ANY of the Charter firms in Vancouver and if they tell you fishing hasn't been "good to excellent", they haven't been on the water.

These pictures give up A LOT of information. ;)

april-24-083-300x225.jpg

april-24-085-300x225.jpg

img_93161-2-682x1024.jpg

And, the "point" is?

BonChovy's Boats? Are "you" working for them?
There "might" be a "little" "distain" there? :D

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

And, the "point" is?

BonChovy's Boats? Are "you" working for them?
There "might" be a "little" "distain" there? :D

Charlie, you know exactly what the point is, but I'll take your bait since you're the troller ;). By the way, I am not on BonChovy's Payroll! I merely linked to their website since they're the only firm putting up current pictures at the moment. Anyways, calling local charter firms reports-- and other fishers reports "BeeEss" is "BeeEss" in my books. I've been on the water quite a bit the last few weeks..and I've been putting fish in my freezer.

There are several firms who have been putting the fish in the boat over the last few weeks.

Call ANY and/or ALL of them up and you'll get similar great reports and I've seen all of these firms. They'll tell you WHERE, WHEN, HOW and WHAT and WHY as well because they're nice guys.

On the days I've been fishing, I've seen boats from the following firms on the water fishing in the same areas---all of them...CATCHING fish and talking about the good action

To list a few (and my apologies to the guys I have left out and haven't mentioned in this list)!!!

Pacific Angler Fishing Charters
Sewell's Fishing Charters
Bite's On Fishing Charters
Bonnie Lee Charters
Bon Chovy Fishing Charters
Predator Charters

Anyways, there is a reason that charter firms and guides keep posting good reports on the forums and their websites..it's because they're catching fish and usually putting on a clinic in how it's done. Case in point: Check out the Capilano fishery...guide boats catch 80-90% of the fish there...and other times of the year (like now) are no different.

quote:Originally posted by getbent

Yeah Peahead I do run a Seaswirl... Team Canada Hockey flag on the antennae but I wasn't there on Monday...I was out last friday...hopefully tomorrow.

What color is your D. Eagle peahead

Anybody going out tomorrow?

Getbent

All white Hull and deck, high top in blue canvas.

Oh...here's another good report...it must be "BeeEss" over and over again.... lol. Dave's reports are accurate and provide a good synopsis/prognosis of what is to come.

Predator Charters last newsletter:

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: April 24/2010.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

During the past couple weeks we have seen our "South Bowen" Chinook fishery come to life, as catches have been building steadily. At present, the fishing is very good for Chinook ranging up to the 20 pound mark, though most of the legal fish are tending to be in the 8 to 12 lb range. The one problem we have had is that the wind has been a major factor many days this past week, and anglers have been having trouble getting out to the "hump" (4 miles off Bowen) many mornings. Those who have made it, or who have gone later in the day when the winds died down have encountered some really good fishing, so it will be interesting to see how good it will be once we have a calm morning. The full moon occurs this upcoming Wednesday, and we have some excellent ebb tides during the morning hours all week - if we get some calm days, the fishing could be excellent!!!

We are seeing a real mix in the terminal tackle that is working, though I'd think about 50% of the catches have been on Anchovy with the remainder split between hootchies (green/glow spackle back, blood and bones, Army Truck, glow w/t yellow stripes),and spoons (Gypsy and Coyote in Flamin Hans, green/silver, green/glow, glow army truck etc....). Depths have been from 65 to 90' early in the day or when overcast, then dropping to the 120 to 140' range when the sun is bright.

In addition to the "South Bowen" area, there have been some really nice fish coming from the sheltered waters of upper Howe Sound. Yesterday, I decided to forego the "bounce" off South Bowen and take my customers up the sound to the calm waters off Porteau Cove and Defence Islands where we landed a couple nice "teenager" Chinook (13, and 19 lbs), lost a couple more and released an undersize. Finding this kind of action means there is a legitimate and productive alternative to fishing out off the south side of Bowen Island if the winds are up in Georgia St.

This next week will be the last week I will be putting out the prawn traps for a while.....too bad, as I have generally been getting 200 to 300 prawns in my two traps most days. The commercial prawn fishery starts at the beginning of May, and I don't like to play "Russian Roulette" with my prawn gear when they are dropping their gear. It is possible I will put it out on occasion if they aren't working the same area where I put my gear, but that will be something that could change on a daily basis.

In early May we often encounter some extremely hot fishing some years in lower Howe Sound as the first wave of Chinook destined for the Squamish system arrive, and I will also begin looking to the Gulf Islands in May on calm days, as that fishery is generally very good from May through July. These trips require a charter longer than the minimum 5 hours due to the long run across Georgia St. We saw some extremely hot fishing off the Gulf Islands for most of the month of May last year, and I can only hope to see a repeat again this year. In addition, last summer a VERY significant number of Halibut were caught during this fishery for the first time in MANY years, so this year I will be making a concerted effort at adding some of these prized fish to our catches of Chinook.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter please e-mail or call me.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
david.korsch@eastlink.ca
davek@dccnet.com
www.predatorcharters.com
604-329-8642

i am new here and I was checking the pic and that looks like a coho on the deck of BonChovy's boat. am I wrong there?

Yes, that is a Coho. There were some decent sized schools out there for a while but they have thinned somewhat. The largest I heard of from a local guide friend was one about 3.5 lbs. There were several jumping over a fairly large area In my recent trips. I didn't hook any. However, some boats managed to hook up to 5 of which half were wild and/or shook off before they were landed. Many boats reported that they had lots of hits, but it was "fish on" then "fish off".

Nice to see Bluebacks making an appearance!!

HATCHERY Coho are OPEN in area 29 and 28.

Go to this page:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s29-eng.htm

scroll down and read:

Coho

•There is no retention of wild coho in Area 29.

•From June 1 to December 31, you may retain two hatchery coho per day in Area 29, except for in the following areas:

1.In that portion of Subarea 29-3 easterly of a line drawn from Gower Point to the Tango 10 Light Buoy, then to the northern tip of Lulu Island, you may retain two hatchery coho from January 1 to December 31.2.In the tidal waters of the Fraser River coho retention is not permitted until mid-October.
•A hatchery coho means a coho salmon that has a healed scar in place of the adipose fin.

guys, i dont know FM or any local guides, but one thing is for sure, if you have any knowledge of local fishing, you would easily know this is a BANNER year, however, i am extrememly fussy and the fact a lot of these fish are marbles turns ME off a bit, to each their own but i will be west coasting soon where almost all fish are bright blood red meat. So i havent been out after we limited4 springs 2 weeks ago, read that LIMIT and VANCOUVER in same sentence?? funny but true, so get out there and "GIT ER DONE"

cool I,m on the island side and have never noticed that litle fact Thx magician.

We got out today for a short time and managed 3 springs in the 13-17 lb. range. And our limit of hatchery coho.Wemust have hit 10 of those bluebacks. I got all 3 springs on a watermelon spoon at 80ft. and the coho on chovies at 40 ft. Fast troll seemed to work, I guess F.M. is right it is hot out there.

We got out today for a short time and managed 3 springs in the 13-17 lb. range. And our limit of hatchery coho.Wemust have hit 10 of those bluebacks. I got all 3 springs on a watermelon spoon at 80ft. and the coho on chovies at 40 ft. Fast troll seemed to work, I guess F.M. is right it is hot out there.

Good Work Brisco! ;)

Got out late yesterday afternoon....zero wind for a change, which was great as we had the kids on board.
Lost one at 80 feet on anchovie and a 1 other tap at 50 on a hootchie.

By all the chatter it sounded pretty hot in the morning.

Good on yah Brisco...were you on the hump?

Back