Vainer park boat launch

Look on the bright side he is doing a great job building all the bike lanes to free up all the traffic so it will be easier for everyone to get their boats to the ramp. Lol

Pulled out a 282 Grady on a tri-axle there last week... 6 foot of tide at the time, I wouldn't try anything less than that. It was just do-able at that tide.

Pulled out a 282 Grady on a tri-axle there last week... 6 foot of tide at the time, I wouldn't try anything less than that. It was just do-able at that tide.

Thanks Brian. What a sh&t show the project managers are on this project. No point having nice floats when the core issues have not been addressed.

If I could, I'd walk into whatever offices the people in charge of this project occupy and fire a whole lot of people. Fired for incompetence and breach of public trust.

As for the other user groups who use the ramp...aka rowers, I'd ban them from the area for pig headed arrogance. They jaywalk across the road, speed down the road and generally act like total dicks when anyone else is trying to do something in proximity to them.

We should attach a bunch of bikes to a boat trailer and then complain we can't launch and I'm sure the policical correcto's will jump all over it

West ramp. No barricades... looks open. Pic taken apt 2:15. Guessing tide is at 3 feet. Didn't have boat with me. Stood at the end of the dock and stuck a 6 foot stick in the water, about 4 1/2 feet got wet. Thinking it's launchable at a 3 foot tide now, maybe even less.... perhaps wishful thinking. image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
West ramp. No barricades... looks open. Pic taken apt 2:15. Guessing tide is at 3 feet. Didn't have boat with me. Stood at the end of the dock and stuck a 6 foot stick in the water, about 4 1/2 feet got wet. Thinking it's launchable at a 3 foot tide now, maybe even less.... maybe wishful thinking. View attachment 28223 View attachment 28224

I was there today as well hoping to see a boat launch at the low tide. One did on the East ramp while I was there and had his truck backed into the salt up to his axle. That wouldn't have been the case if he moved to the West one.
There is also a new hose bib on the west ramp which should relieve congestion.
The contractors are not quite finished as there are many deficiencies yet to be fixed.

What a disgrace that ramp is. The gravel is being washed around and out from between the blocks. The concrete should be extended to the 1' low water mark or edge of the lease.

Where it counts, they didn't spend the money. Whoever built the west ramp doesn't understand basic engineering processes.

lol nice ramp, but i got sorta stuck on it last night at high tide. had to back into the water and take a run at it, lol.

Oh man, that doesn't sound good. Stuck at high tide. What good is it going to be on a low. Glad I've got 4x4 F350 diesel. Hope that keeps me from having to call for a tow. Definitely they spent the money all wrong. Who cares about new shiny floats. We need an all tide ramp in Vancouver.

I didn't find any problems with the ramp it self. I'm not a marine ramp builder. What I thought was a little weird was all the left over crushed rock. This picture was us launching in the morning. When we picked the boat out of the water the tide was at the gravel line. It 4-6" deep and 24" wide. To put the boat on, the back truck tires are just dry enough to jump on the trailer. This puts the tires in the gravel. When you pull the boat out all you do is spin rocks onto your boat. So now you have to put your truck into the saltwater.......
Just thought if the launch was new, you should be able to put and take without issues.

Attachments

• AdobePhotoshopExpress_05b546d71ba7495aabe4d6f198b90181.jpg
    AdobePhotoshopExpress_05b546d71ba7495aabe4d6f198b90181.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Well I used the west ramp for the first time yesterday. It was not right at low tide, so I can't really comment on how doable it is on a low. Seemed ok for launching, but pulling out might be a horror show. As of now I'd say the ramp is fairly usable but how long it will stay that way is anyone's guess. They've only put cinder blocks and gravel at the lower tide sections of this ramp as you can see in the posted pictures. The gravel has already started to wash out from between the blocks. How long do they really think these blocks and gravel are going to remain in place. As soon as we hit the stormy season I'd guess all this stuff is going to be half washed away and the blocks will all be Topsy turvy (if not washed completely out of place). I've never seen a ramp constructed like this anywhere, let alone in a major city. It's like something you'd expect to see at an unmaintained govt rec site, not one of the largest cities in Canada.

For now I'd say it's usable. How long it stays that way is the question. Once these blocks get all covered in algae I don't imagine they will afford much traction. But they'll probably just end up washing away anyways after a while. I think I did a better job of building a ramp on our property when I was 12 years old hauling rocks and gravel in a wheel barrow. Bit of a joke for a city this size in this day and age.

Back