Upstate New York Steelhead and Browns

River Rat

Well....once more my buddy went back east for steelies and browns. Here's the link to the video his guide put together for the 2009 season.
I may have to join him some year.:D
http://www.reelactionfly.com/Vids/videosreelaction.html

bug.gif

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

Great Lakes have it all. But those steelhead just aren't the chrome slabs we get here. Or "got" here:(

Wow were those runs stacked with fish[:p]

quote:Originally posted by highlights

Great Lakes have it all. But those steelhead just aren't the chrome slabs we get here. Or "got" here:(

Wow were those runs stacked with fish[:p]

Awsome fish but sure look different.Some look like broodstock trout. Either way hitting those things on a dry would be a hoot.

Yeah it's interesting how biologists always say that Great Lakes steelhead are genetically identical to the west coast fish, but they don't look the same... what's with that?

quote:Originally posted by Blackleech
Yeah it's interesting how biologists always say that Great Lakes steelhead are genetically identical to the west coast fish, but they don't look the same... what's with that?
My best guess is micro nutrients, saltwater is thick with them and so ocean-going Rainbows are receiving something their freshwater cousins aren't.

Sturgeon are the same, about 1 in 10 is a real tough shiny bruiser not always the biggest but the strongest and that's the one who's been to sea and back.

billreidsalmon.jpg

Man, that looks like a blast! I guess that's what the stocks looked like around here historically. Kind of depressing actually.

Back