Forecast not looking good for B.C.'s salmon stocks

River Rat

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/to...+salmon+stocks+this+year/2649458/story.html
Another disastrous season for B.C.'s iconic wild salmon appears to be unfolding even as yet another inquiry gets underway, this time into the collapse of last year's Fraser River sockeye runs.

Meanwhile, some scientists in the department of fisheries and oceans are warning that the outlook for 2010 is already worse than it was in 2009, when only about 10 per cent of expected Fraser River sockeye returns materialized.

Conservation concerns during the 2009 collapse of sockeye runs returning to the Fraser forced federal fisheries authorities to close commercial sockeye fisheries and first nations' food fisheries, which are important both to subsistence and cultural practices in many communities. The inquiry, struck last November and led by B.C. Supreme Court Justice Bruce Cohen, isn't expected to make an interim report before August, with a final report not expected until 2011.

The 2010 forecasts could have serious implications for aboriginal, commercial and recreational fisheries, the fish-processing sector and nature-based tourism. These industries represent a combined economic value in excess of $2 billion a year for the B.C. economy.

Earlier this week, letters from the department of fisheries and oceans were circulated to chiefs, councillors and aboriginal fisheries managers notifying them of the preliminary stock estimates and possible conservation measures. Ottawa has also confirmed it is deferring treaty negotiations involving salmon until after the inquiry into salmon declines makes its findings.

Forecasting salmon returns is a notoriously inexact process. Runs can be influenced by many variables, including weather that affects water temperatures and can influence in-river survival and disease outbreaks, mistimed harvesting during migrations and poorly understood conditions affecting ocean survival.

However, based on estimates from previous spawning escapements and recent ocean survival rates, early assessments for salmon abundance in 2010 predict that only 29 of the 88 stocks evaluated on the West Coast will be at or above the target abundance for sustaining or rebuilding depleted or declining runs.

Of the remaining stocks, 34 are of conservation concern and 18 are mixed, meaning that for some spawning areas in a particular run, returns are expected to be low, while for other spawning areas they could meet or exceed the target. These mixed stocks create a major fisheries-management headache because allowing fishing on what appears to be an abundant stock might seriously damage a co-migrating stock that is in a precarious state, some with only a few hundred returning spawners.

Coast-wide, only 12 stock groups were estimated to have improved in status while 18 were reported as having declined.

Important runs where below-average returns are already being forecast include: early Stuart, early summer runs to the Pitt River, late Stuart, Nechako, Quesnel, Birkenhead, Weaver, Somass, Nimpkish, the mainland mid-coast north of Vancouver Island, Babine Lake, Skeena, Nass, Alsek, Stikine and Taku.

Although 2009 was a catastrophe for commercially valuable Fraser River sockeye and triggered the judicial inquiry -- harvest of these stocks is jointly managed under treaty arrangements between Canada and the United States -- a dismal outlook for chinook salmon in 2010 will be of equal concern.

On many spawning grounds, 2009 marked the third successive year in which the number of fish failed to replace even the parental spawning abundance.

A number of chinook populations on the west coast of Vancouver Island, the Fraser River and tributaries like the Chilcotin, Chilako, South Thompson and Cottonwood Rivers, and in rivers flowing into the lower Georgia Strait, continue to show decline or are already seriously depressed.

On the Fraser, where the 2009 returns of spawning chinooks had already hit record lows on some runs, "very low" returns of summer-run chinooks are projected for 2010, based on poor ocean survival rates and the low escapement of spawning fish in previous brood years.

On the Cowichan River, once so famous a stream that anglers' catches merited reports in The New York Times, the return of natural-spawning chinooks in 2009 was the lowest ever recorded.

The abundance of wild spawning stock on Vancouver Island's outer coast was the lowest it's been since 1995.

Coho stocks returning to the upper Fraser and its tributaries, the lower Fraser and streams flowing into Georgia Strait, all continue to be of concern due to declines and depressed abundance.

Chinook and coho are the linchpins of B.C.'s vigorous recreational fishery. Although sports anglers harvest only about three per cent of the total catch, research shows they take more than 30 per cent of the chinook and coho salmon caught in coastal waters.

Although counts vary, some recent studies show the recreational fishery sustains almost 7,500 jobs, paying $125 million a year in wages and benefits and more than $75 million a year in taxes to provincial and federal governments.

It generates almost $650 million a year in retail sales and distribution.

shume@islandnet.com
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

bug.gif

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

I personally believe this is all doom and gloom that the media loves to report. Last year they said it was one of the worst years in history...but the media only bases that off of the sockeye numbers, not the other species and based it mainly on Fraser stocks, don't get me wrong some other rivers were well down (i.e. Cowichan), but a large majority I heard of had amazing runs...

"Outlook for 2010 is already worse than it was in 2009" Well...I know I as many of you had one of the best fishing seasons ever this past year...so I don't get how they can say 2009 was horrible...sure, the American fish certainly helped out, but the vast majority of the fish we were catching up our way are CDN fish as our hatchery heads showed... Just sick and tired of the same ol' doom and gloom on here over and over again...[xx(]

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

*NEW VIDEO*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlEzuNC59ck

To me, 'Doom and Gloom' means fear-mongering that's not based on any science.

If scientists that study fisheries for a living are telling us that the stocks are declining, I consider that worth listening to.

Last year was a great summer for fishing, but it was an anomaly from the previous decade of lower stocks. Remember what fishing was like in 1985? I was told the reason we had such great chinook last summer was because of a 40% cut-back in the Alaska commercial fishery.

The concept of aiming to fill the limits of each client on every trip out, might be something to move away from.. There's a very successful sportfishery in El Salvador for sailfish that's exclusively catch and release. There's a lot of differences here of course, but I'm just saying, at the end of the day we've gotta look at the balance between economic gain now, and long-term economic gain of a robust salmon fishery.
--
And this is coming from a past commercial fisherman, avid sportsfisherman, and hunter. And salmon farm hater!

Above link is broke: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/to...od+salmon+stocks+this+year/2649458/story.html

Hmmm… kind of interesting, findings from DFO - but makes sense? If DFO cuts the funding and “outgoing” production of Chinook smolts by up to 40% (some areas) - in 2005, 2006, and 2007 – they can “now” - "forecast" and “predict” those returns are going to be lower in 2010?

I don’t have a PhD in Marine Biology, but believe I can also make that same prediction!

Well...anyone who says that Salmon Stocks are healthy have it WRONG. When a coast as big as BC depends on hatchery stocks both domestic and foreign, ECVI is devoid of wild Coho, Sockeye and Pink fail to show, and the QCI guides have to scrape to find a couple of Chinook--there's a problem alright.

Certain areas may experience relatively consistent fishing....however, if fishing sucked in your area last year, you'd think a bit differently.

Let's turn the clocks back to the 70's as a point of comparison, and you'll know EXACTLY what I mean.

Anyways, the generality of "fear mongering" may not apply to all stocks, but a one year fishing experience on WCVI does not a wise assumption make.

quote:Originally posted by SerengetiGuide

I personally believe this is all doom and gloom that the media loves to report. Last year they said it was one of the worst years in history...but the media only bases that off of the sockeye numbers, not the other species and based it mainly on Fraser stocks, don't get me wrong some other rivers were well down (i.e. Cowichan), but a large majority I heard of had amazing runs...

"Outlook for 2010 is already worse than it was in 2009" Well...I know I as many of you had one of the best fishing seasons ever this past year...so I don't get how they can say 2009 was horrible...sure, the American fish certainly helped out, but the vast majority of the fish we were catching up our way are CDN fish as our hatchery heads showed... Just sick and tired of the same ol' doom and gloom on here over and over again...[xx(]

It must be great to live up on the north coast of the island Serengeti. Unfortunately most of the fishers in the province aren’t that lucky. Most of the population of the province is centered around the lower mainland and lower Georgia Strait waters. I can give you a perspective of how the fishing in the lower Georgia Strait has evolved in my lifetime. I am forty eight years old. I have always lived by the ocean and fished there since I was a child. In those forty years the fishing in the lower Georgia Strait has gotten progressively worse and worse.

When I was a kid the Coho were the backbone of the Georgia Strait Salmon sport fishery. Coho were plentiful and easy to catch in those days. The Coho have pretty much vanished from the lower Georgia Strait, and that fishery is almost non existent now. I grew up fishing around the southern Gulf Islands. A lot of those Salmon we used to catch were Cowichan River Coho and Chinook stocks. Those stocks are now very depressed and possibly even facing extinction (in the Chinooks case). Puget Sound Salmon stocks were also far stronger in those days, and I’m sure they added to the good fishing back then. The stocks returning to the all local rivers including the Fraser were in much greater numbers then. There were healthy stocks from many systems migrating though the local southern Gulf Islands waters. Many anglers from the mainland used to come across the Strait to the Gulf Islands for the good fishing. Now the waters there are mostly devoid of fishing boats because there are so few Salmon caught there anymore.

I now live in Vancouver and the fishing here has fared no better. The Coho fishing used to be very good in local waters, but no longer. With the loss of Coho in the local waters, Chinook are the only stocks available regularly. Pinks are around in odd years, but they are far from the preferred species. Sockeye are rarely open anymore, and even when they are it’s usually only for a couple of weeks out of the year. The remaining stocks of Chinooks are far from what they used to be as well. Urban sprawl, pollution, and habitat degradation have led to many once productive southern streams becoming nothing more than ditches. Overall, I’d say the local fishing is a pitiful remnant of what it used to be in the lower strait.

Why do you think there’s such an influx to the west and north coasts of Vancouver Island for fishing these days. It’s pretty simple, it’s because the Salmon fishing in most fishers local waters are pretty dismal in comparison. In the past we fished our protected local southern waters out of small car toppers. At most a small runabout was required to get into good Salmon fishing. Usually only a short run was required to get to the good Salmon fishing in the old days.

Salmon fishing may still be good by your estimation on the island. But it is still nowhere near what it used to be even 20-25 years ago. In addition, to get to the best fishing requires a boat that the average fisher would never have considered necessary in the past. Much of the great fishing that many were bragging about last year was in remote offshore locations. A high percentage of these fish caught were transiting American fish. Every year it seems that fishers must travel further and the boat must be larger and ever more sophisticated. Many of the boats now fishing the best locations have dual main motors, radar , and multiple redundant electronics for safety. The fishing may still be good in many locations on the island, but to get there practically requires taking out a second mortgage to afford the boat, electronics, and fuel. Far different than the good sheltered local fishing of the old days.

If you have been fishing for forty plus years I’m sure what I’m relating here is pretty familiar to you. If you have only been fishing 10 years perhaps the changes don’t appear as drastic as they appear to me. Maybe to some with a lesser amount of time on the water things appear fine. However, I think that those with a little longer view of the local situation have good reason to believe in the “doom & gloom” reports.

Maybe in another 30 years the Salmon fishing will still be fine. Only problem is to get to that good fishing a trip to the Queen Charlottes may be required. Not sure if you’d still think the Salmon fishing is in great shape if a trip up there was necessary. Everything is relative, as time passes perceptions of what is considered good fishing changes. By my perception of over forty years of fishing we’re in big trouble. If I only started fishing a few years back, maybe I’d think nothing drastic is wrong. I guess listening to “doom & gloom” reports may seem exaggerated when at your end of the pond everything seems fine. To many that don’t live in the best Salmon fishing locations and have fished many decades on the ocean things don’t appear fine. I know it may seem to you that I’ve always got a bone to pick with you, it’s nothing personal. I just think living up there you have a different perspective than someone a little older living in my fishing area.

Everyone’s different, and everyone’s entitled to their own opinion. Just seems ours differ a lot of the time. I just thought I’d give you the perspective of someone who isn’t lucky enough to live in Gods country where the fishing is still great. Maybe if I lived up there I’d be wondering why people were always grumbling about the fishing too.

quote:Originally posted by TheBigGuy

It must be great to live up on the north coast of the island Serengeti. Unfortunately most of the fishers in the province aren’t that lucky. Most of the population of the province is centered around the lower mainland and lower Georgia Strait waters. I can give you a perspective of how the fishing in the lower Georgia Strait has evolved in my lifetime. I am forty eight years old. I have always lived by the ocean and fished there since I was a child. In those forty years the fishing in the lower Georgia Strait has gotten progressively worse and worse.
The first paragraph made me reply.... I did not read the full post.
I hear ya. The people fishin on the WCVI(and spin off of the surplus fish are hitting Sooke vic areas) are havin a great time playin around with AMERICAN FISH tells ya something [V]

Another media doom and gloom classic. I'm still trying to recover from the swine flu....I guess you gotta sell papers somehow. Wouldn't we all be happier if the media piped positive stuff down our throats instead of negative?

Another media doom and gloom classic. I'm still trying to recover from the swine flu....I guess you gotta sell papers somehow. Wouldn't we all be happier if the media piped positive stuff down our throats instead of negative?

*NEW VIDEO*

I'm 52 years old this year and fished salmon in B.C. since I was 5. Serengeti, you will never see what I have seen nor will you understand what has taken place.

*NEW VIDEO*

I'm 52 years old this year and fished salmon in B.C. since I was 5. Serengeti, you will never see what I have seen nor will you understand what has taken place.

which streams had amazing returns of chinook? many areas had horrible late summer fishing.

and millsy, how was spring fishing barkley sound in august? ya it was great offshore for american fish, port alberni sure didn't have good fishing last year.

I agree the media loves a doom and gloom story but our fish stocks ARE in serious trouble. You should be writing the editor to thank them for informing joe public about the state of our fisheries, they are helping not hurting us by printing such an article.

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org

which streams had amazing returns of chinook? many areas had horrible late summer fishing.

and millsy, how was spring fishing barkley sound in august? ya it was great offshore for american fish, port alberni sure didn't have good fishing last year.

I agree the media loves a doom and gloom story but our fish stocks ARE in serious trouble. You should be writing the editor to thank them for informing joe public about the state of our fisheries, they are helping not hurting us by printing such an article.

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org

Nor did I say that Brisco...I'm just saying it's always the negative stories on here...I know quite a few guides from different areas from the coast that don't come on here just for that reason, negativity.[B)] While there may be a lot of bad to report, there's also a lot of good, whether it be strong returns or people's contributions and hard work that are going into ensuring we have salmon for a long time. It's just every day there is a new negative story to report... [xx(]

*NEW VIDEO*

Nor did I say that Brisco...I'm just saying it's always the negative stories on here...I know quite a few guides from different areas from the coast that don't come on here just for that reason, negativity.[B)] While there may be a lot of bad to report, there's also a lot of good, whether it be strong returns or people's contributions and hard work that are going into ensuring we have salmon for a long time. It's just every day there is a new negative story to report... [xx(]

*NEW VIDEO*

Another thing to note is it seems it all depends who you ask how the returns are going to be...last fall was reading (forget where, will attempt to find link as it was on the internet) that 2010 returns were expected to be much better than 2009...and some of best in years.

As for Alberni fishing, obviously it was pretty bad there after the commercial opening, and not great before even. But it is impossible to expect every run to have good returns every year in my opinion...still a shame...don't get me wrong...but I think you get what I'm attempting to say...I don't think any one year everyone will ever be happy with returns of salmon.

*NEW VIDEO*

Back