Trophy Tyee QR handle fix

Ok so I finally got some islander handles countersunk some holes and it seems like a good mod.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357966214.199471.jpg

Will try them out soon with any luck.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357966279.310142.jpg

Yea. Islander handles is the best option. Ive posted before having lost both original handles during a fight with a 40Lb spring! I Think it was Scott Kilby that was on the rod! He managed to stick the handle back into the hole and carefully brought it in! Scott dude, you can run a side on my boat anytime!

Yes it works did it about 3 years ago its on here somewhere??? LOL LOL
the only difference is I have a really small dremel bit I got, awesome reel.

wolf

I never tried this fix but it would seem like the one that Wolf and FL did is the best fix for sure. Since the reels are aluminum and threaded it can only be a lifetime of tightening. Aluminum expands and contracts with temperature like crazy. Ask anyone that has done any wiring on an older house with aluminum wiring. Chances are they will find the "odd" loose connection? lol Good post on the fix! :cool:

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...hy-reel-conversion.&highlight=reel+conversion

found it

but like I said have a new cool BIT to dremel it out way nicer now and makes a better cleaner job, Ive only used islander handles and posts as well but from what ive heard you can put shimano 4000s on so your back to tapping and setting screws

Good luck wolf

Wolf,

Any chance you could post a photo of the new cool dremel bit you found that works better? I think I've finally worked up the nerve to try this and I don't want to bugger it up. Thanks.

Slabby

Where are you slabby come over one day with the reel and ill let you use it or I can do it for you takes about 30 mins to do the whole thing (beers) LOL LOL
My buddy who uses them all the time gave it to me its really small and a steel one REALY fast cutting (yes found that out)
its not that hard to do just a bit intimedating as your about to basterdize a 300 buck reel but im not scared anymore LOL

Wolf

Hey Wolf--- I have a MR2 that I changed the handles to MR3 handles as they are bigger. Better, but much prefer the Shimano paddle type. I asked the reel guy at River Sportsman in Campbell River if Islander had any paddle type handles. He said that they have asked several times, but Islander wasn't interested. So your comment about having Islander paddles has me wondering-- are they now available?

So after all that the new ones coming out now finally have the handles fixed, so don't need this conversion anymore. The islander paddles are still nicer though...Still loving mine..

I am going to be buying a few more...

I've not compared islander paddles but the shimano paddles I put on my trophy are awesome and cost $3 each. No modification to the reel required. It's a toss up between my islander and the trophy now but before the $6 upgrade I much preffered the islander. Still like the islander drag knob and system better then the trophy but the trophy has free spool which I really miss on the islander so often I pick up the trophy.

The new trophy looks nice I hear they moved the free spool switch too I know Ive clicked mine by accident before in its current location.

Yah the islander handles are nicer than shimano but you pay for them not cheap, and yes you have to drill out your reel. I didn't know the moved that switch on new one have to check it out...

I have had these 3 prototype reels for sidelined for awhile now because the handles kept stripping out so i repaired them with Okuma spey reel handles. They pin through the back like the islanders but more economical. I did 3 reels for 50 bucks.

Attachments

• 20150320_225334.jpg
    20150320_225334.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 20150320_211349.jpg
    20150320_211349.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 20150320_220507.jpg
    20150320_220507.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 155
i have a limited stock of shimano moocher type handles
that fit the islander post with no mods needed
the std rubber 4000 gt moocher type needs spacer and a longer screw to work at its best
see the recent thread .
these may work for application on the trophy's

Attachments

• IMAG0099.jpg
    IMAG0099.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 120
Back