Trolling Reels - Anything New?

Check out the Luhr Jensen Legacy reel. I got one on sale for $399 (the regular price has since climbed from 499 to 579) a couple years ago and it's the best reel I've used. No creep on the rigger, great retrieve, large, comfortable grips on the knobs. Highly recommended.

Amazon.ca currently has a very good price for this reel:

One world, one reel. Hardy Longstone.

They’ll never win a beauty contest, but they are simple and tough as nails. ….and the sound… nothing sings like a Hardy with a smiley on the other end of the line. :)
Well said Kildonan! You are absolutely right, NOTHING sings like a Hardy, on the ocean or on the river. My father gave me a Longstone in the late 50's and an uncle gave me a 4" Super Silex around the same time. I still fish them both and would NOT trade them for anything. Just watch out for those knuckles!

Someday I hope to fish an Islander, but it may never happen because I just couldn’t ever justify spending essentially a thousand bucks on a reel. I appreciate that much of it comes down to each person’s individual sense of value and what they like in a reel. People happily pay many thousands of dollars for a mechanical watch that will never keep time as well as a quartz watch that sells for less than $100. But they value aesthetics over performance, which is fine.

Do Islanders really perform better than the Shimano and Daiwa mooching reels that sell for $100 to $250? I am talking performance, not aesthetics. Even in terms of durability, if you have to replace the Shimano or Daiwa after 10 years, but the Islander will go 20 or more but requires expensive maintenance or drag rebuilding, your still big money ahead with the cheaper reel.

I’d be curious to hear views on this, just in terms of a performance comparison.

Not looking to create a debate, because of course each person values different things (performance, aesthetics etc. etc.) differently. Just interested in hearing the different perspectives, all of which are respected. None of this is a competition.

My own perspective has changed over the years. My son and I fish mostly 5 inch wooden Peetz reels with the new one way drags. I will admit that the drag on these is not as finely adjustable as that on the Daiwa M-1s we used to fish. But, ironically, this is why we like them so much. We only use moderate drag to apply little pressure, because we are controlling how much is applied by palming the reel. This way we can adjust on the fly, continuously, without (or rarely at least) touching the drag knob. The wide wooden spool and rim of the Peetz is perfect for this. The bigger the spring, the bigger the challenge. So from our perspective, when it comes to fighting the fish, a more basic mooching reel increases the challenge and the fun.

We see this already with mooching reels because most Canadians on the West Coast keep fishing “knuckle-busters” because of the challenge they involve, despite the ready availability of anti reverse moochers and level wind reels, the latter giving advantages in terms of a fast retrieve ratio. My son and I just take it a step further.

Do Islanders really perform better than the Shimano and Daiwa mooching reels that sell for $100 to $250?
Short answer - Yes.
While the high cost is high, the performance of my MR2 +3 reels make it worth it. Had mine for ten+ years now. (after years of Shimano and Peetz)

I run Shimano and Daiwa. I fished a friend's MR3 and TR3 many times and will again next week. If taken care of you can set the drag for the trip down and not need to re-adjust when cranking down the rod tip or playing a fish. Mine can't do that. That said, I think an experienced fisher will land the same ratio of fish with either.
I slimed one of my Shimanos overboard once, so I get anxious using the good stuff.
Also I may be alone in this, but the sound of a fish running on a Shimano is more pleasing to my ear than the aluminum. MR 3 slow tick is highly annoying too.
I get satisfaction from doing fine with cheaper gear.
Nothing funnier than seeing people on expensive boats with all the best gear slingshotting flashers from the fish's lips into the array of stored rods atop the cabin.

Someday I hope to fish an Islander, but it may never happen because I just couldn’t ever justify spending essentially a thousand bucks on a reel. I appreciate that much of it comes down to each person’s individual sense of value and what they like in a reel. People happily pay many thousands of dollars for a mechanical watch that will never keep time as well as a quartz watch that sells for less than $100. But they value aesthetics over performance, which is fine.

Do Islanders really perform better than the Shimano and Daiwa mooching reels that sell for $100 to $250? I am talking performance, not aesthetics. Even in terms of durability, if you have to replace the Shimano or Daiwa after 10 years, but the Islander will go 20 or more but requires expensive maintenance or drag rebuilding, your still big money ahead with the cheaper reel.

I’d be curious to hear views on this, just in terms of a performance comparison.

Not looking to create a debate, because of course each person values different things (performance, aesthetics etc. etc.) differently. Just interested in hearing the different perspectives, all of which are respected. None of this is a competition.

My own perspective has changed over the years. My son and I fish mostly 5 inch wooden Peetz reels with the new one way drags. I will admit that the drag on these is not as finely adjustable as that on the Daiwa M-1s we used to fish. But, ironically, this is why we like them so much. We only use moderate drag to apply little pressure, because we are controlling how much is applied by palming the reel. This way we can adjust on the fly, continuously, without (or rarely at least) touching the drag knob. The wide wooden spool and rim of the Peetz is perfect for this. The bigger the spring, the bigger the challenge. So from our perspective, when it comes to fighting the fish, a more basic mooching reel increases the challenge and the fun.

We see this already with mooching reels because most Canadians on the West Coast keep fishing “knuckle-busters” because of the challenge they involve, despite the ready availability of anti reverse moochers and level wind reels, the latter giving advantages in terms of a fast retrieve ratio. My son and I just take it a step further.
I think I have used most commonly found mooching reels on the market at some point. Daiwa, Shimano, Trophy, Admunsen, Peetz, all models of Islander, Abel, Hardy, and many that have come and gone as well. All will catch fish. Key for me, and where a well maintained Islander (very easy and cheap to maintain) is the best is how smooth they are. I know the minor creep issues while fishing deep on the MR3 and MR2-LA models so need to beat that dead horse. But bar none there is no mooching reel with lower start-up inertia than Islander and when fished correctly there is just no comparison to how evenly that drag (cork or sealed like on the TR3) feeds out on a screamer Tyee. There is no stop/start jerkiness that most lower price reels deliver. This especially counts when you are fishing places like the Gwaii or Central Coast where the next fish could be Walter. Most of us search our whole lives for that fish and when it hops on I want my gear to be prepared for it and to me a few days worth of boat gas is worth it.

TR3 is beautiful and highly functional, but that's 3 seasons of boat gas for me.
I'm off to golf with my old clubs and Kirkland balls in my base model vehicle. As mentioned it's a personal choice priority thing. I can afford better and don't begrudge anyone to do things their way.

I was lucky that the guys who fished with me often decided to go together thru the years and purchased 4 MR2 many years ago and simce 3 of them have passed but we living still enjoy them immensely

Yeah running one for a while now. I am not really fan of them. I was in beginning but I think my old trophy is better. The drag is bit finicky and the clicker broke on it.

Also prefer the free spool on trophy.

Just reposting. I actually like these reef reels now. I think there is break in period after using them over time. I just bought a second one and I really like the drag system vs cork.

I just went through a few reel changes. I started with used Shimano GT4000 and think they are fine reels for budget and reliability (like a honda or toyota ecno car). I then got a set of older gen Trophy XL QR and fished those for a bit and liked them better the my GT4000 (which I sold). I then got a good deal on newer gen Trophy reels with the flat paddles vs my older set with the round knobs.

These trophys also have he islander spring mods and I liked the difference in the drag vs the original trophy springs.

I have since picked up a TMX5 as my 3rd rod/reel/spare/backup/ and I REALLY like the drag/paddle feel/shape. I can't decide if I should get another and retire the trophy's.

Over the past 3-4 years of salmon fishing on a boat I have had the chance to try the islander mr3, mr2 and I have NOT liked any of them. I don't like how the drag sets on the knob.

I also don't like the creep. Yes yes I know there is always a "reason" and/or its the maintenance but when I fished with someone who had an islander that had to have a little clip on the rod to hold the line to prevent the creep I thought it was ridiculous. More ridiculous is the price you pay for the privilege of having your line creep. Please keep in mind this has been my own personal experience so I'm sure there are islander reels out there that don't creep.... I've just never encountered one. (Anecdotally I had someone I knew bring a buddy who worked at islander on my boat once. Talking to him while fishing, he told me most of the islander staff are river fishing guys. Not sure if its true but I don't see why he'd lie. Maybe creep is not a big deal river fishing?)

I think currently my TMX5 feels better then trophys but time will tell which one holds up.

Just spent a week long trip fishing the Coast DR 1.0 reel. Fished it with mainly with cut plug herring on the Downriggers and also motor mooching. Caught a handful of fish with it up to 34#’s. I absolutely love the reel! Very smooth and fast retrieve with the larger arbor than the MR3 Islanders. It didn’t not creep at all even with mildly loose drag tightness. This was the first trip with it so will see how it holds up for the long run. I really enjoyed the handle design as well. Will probably purchase another couple of these in the future.

i have such a love hate with my MR3. i hate mine. my wife’s works flawlessly.

I absolutely HATE MY TMX -5. it’s been repaired more than my car. im talking major stuff, like the central shaft snapped off. it’s been repaired but ever since the drag is a horror show. when tightening the drag the entire spool spins so you have to hold the spool to tighten it.

i honestly wish i would have just stuck with my old shimano 4000 gt’s that never gave me one moment of grief.

i’ve never owned trophy xl’s but i’ve honestly been super impressed by the smoothness of the reel.

My MR3 feels like i’m reeling in a seal even when there’s no weight on the line. i’ve replaced two sets of bearings now and i constantly grease and oil using recommended superlube. i just don’t get it

Bought myself a new TR3 this year and is by far the best reel I've ever used. I'll be purchasing a mate for it before the start of next season.
Same, bought one n had to pair it up. They are both on my medium heavy rods which are basically for chinook. I kept the MR3’s on my medium light rods which flex like crazy and are so much fun when you get a big one.

I own a Trophy XL QR and an Islander MR3, and have fished with friends Abel's and Amundsen's and I would pick the Trophy out of all of them. I think it has better drag, drag knob and paddles out of the box.

Ive really enjoyed using my TMX5 this season, smooth drag and very comfortable reeling fish in. Only thing missing is the free spool if I want to jig the same day, but not a deal breaker. I have a jigging rod setup I bring along for those days.

Looks like the TMX5 is on sale currently at harbourchandler for 389, down from 439.

I run Shimano and Daiwa. I fished a friend's MR3 and TR3 many times and will again next week. If taken care of you can set the drag for the trip down and not need to re-adjust when cranking down the rod tip or playing a fish. Mine can't do that. That said, I think an experienced fisher will land the same ratio of fish with either.
I slimed one of my Shimanos overboard once, so I get anxious using the good stuff.
Also I may be alone in this, but the sound of a fish running on a Shimano is more pleasing to my ear than the aluminum. MR 3 slow tick is highly annoying too.
I get satisfaction from doing fine with cheaper gear.
Nothing funnier than seeing people on expensive boats with all the best gear slingshotting flashers from the fish's lips into the array of stored rods atop the cabin.

Shimano 1000's. Small and bullet proof if you rinse after use and back the drag off. New stuff looks great but I'm a run it until it breaks guy. Useage has been 100+hrs per year for approx. 30 years. Slower retrieve rate is a drawback for some, i guess.

I absolutely HATE MY TMX -5. it’s been repaired more than my car. im talking major stuff, like the central shaft snapped off. it’s been repaired but ever since the drag is a horror show. when tightening the drag the entire spool spins so you have to hold the spool to tighten it.
I’ve had tmx-5’s for 8 years. I reckon this will fix your problems;

1. Clean and Grease the center shaft including the thread that should fix the drag problem.

2. While you are at it you might as well pop the tension clip out above the drag stack in the middle of the spool, just don’t let it fling across the room. Clean the black stuff off the drag washers then put a tiny tiny bit of synthetic grease on the drag washers and those 3 little springs under the stack. Put it all back together in the same order. It should be easy and awesome! (Or at least less horrible.)

Last edited:
I’ve had tmx-5’s for 8 years. I reckon this will fix your problems;
1. Clean and Grease the thread on the center shaft, that should fix the drag problem.
2. While you are at it you might as well pop the tension clip out above the drag stack in the middle of the spool, just don’t let it fling across the room. Clean the black stuff off the drag washers then put a tiny tiny bit of silicone grease on the drag washers and those 3 little springs under the stack. Put it all back together in the same order. It should be easy and awesome! (Or at least less horrible.)
thanks for this i will definitely try. i even tried selling it recently but i declared the drag issue and the guy walked. i really want it to work as its a decent reel when working.

Back