Trolling Reels - Anything New?

fischer250

Now that the Vancouver Boat show is over, did anyone see any new models or brands worth looking into over Islander for trolling? I've read through some previous threads, just wondering if any opinions have changed or people tried something else.
I have a couple MR2s in decent shape, mid 90s classic gold that I will keep going but looking for another reel that I could try out as a starter or really solid backup.

Trophy, Amundson, Re3f, Coast DR - any argument to go for one of these? New Islanders are just so damn expensive.

Thanks all!

Now that the Vancouver Boat show is over, did anyone see any new models or brands worth looking into over Islander for trolling? I've read through some previous threads, just wondering if any opinions have changed or people tried something else.
I have a couple MR2s in decent shape, mid 90s classic gold that I will keep going but looking for another reel that I could try out as a starter or really solid backup.

Trophy, Amundson, Re3f, Coast DR - any argument to go for one of these? New Islanders are just so damn expensive.

Thanks all!
Well if you want to have some fun try the Peetz wood reel with one way drag. Lots of fun , inexpensive and you can’t beat the sound!

Well if you want to have some fun try the Peetz wood reel with one way drag. Lots of fun , inexpensive and you can’t beat the sound!
I have a few Peetz reels as my backup backups, definitely love the sound! Looking for newer recommendations/similar style to those brands listed above.

sadly so does mr fur burger think its a lovely sound as well ...lets him know dinner is being pulled up just for him ......lol

i think Mr Seal ...............has a nice preference for Hardy Longstones but will come to just about any screaming reel

I have one MR3 and one Trophy XL Tyee. Have fished both extensively on charters as well as my on own boat. I'm about ready to sell the MR3 and get a second Trophy. They're bulletproof and easy to maintain, but the line creep in the MR3 is hard to accept in a reel that cost $700 plus taxes. The Trophy is likewise strong and easy to maintain, plus it has has the drag release lever (same as on an Islander MR2), so you rarely need to touch the drag setting. There's minimal line creep and it costs half of the MR2. The one catch is the Trophy can't be flipped to lefty configuration.

I have one MR3 and one Trophy XL Tyee. Have fished both extensively on charters as well as my on own boat. I'm about ready to sell the MR3 and get a second Trophy. They're bulletproof and easy to maintain, but the line creep in the MR3 is hard to accept in a reel that cost $700 plus taxes. The Trophy is likewise strong and easy to maintain, plus it has has the drag release lever (same as on an Islander MR2), so you rarely need to touch the drag setting. There's minimal line creep and it costs half of the MR2. The one catch is the Trophy can't be flipped to lefty configuration.
Thanks sly! Having the option to release is nice like the MR2s if I feel like jigging. I took a look at the Amundon TMX5 and the Coast DR1s this week, I know a guide who runs the TMX5 and loves it. Will have to add the Trophys on my list to try.

On a tighter budget I’m looking at adding another Amudson TX5. When I see a new one for $350 I’ll be pulling the trigger. I’ve really enjoyed my first one, only thing to note is no free spool for jigging.

Anyone have much experience with the Coast Dr1’s? I would like to pick one up but they don’t seem readily available.

Anyone have much experience with the Coast Dr1’s? I would like to pick one up but they don’t seem readily available.
Had one for a few seasons now maybe 5 or 6. My favorite reel great smooth drag no creep. Going to change to paddle handles next time I get new line.

Reactions: Wax
Some of the guides up here are using the Coasts and I know one serious angler that uses 4 of them. They have all switched away from their islanders. They are well built but do need service like all "islander" type reels with three bearings and cork drags. You have to decide if you like the looks as they are bigger than islanders and maybe not as "sexy". They don have any creep issues. Another good thing is that parts are available from the manufacture and the service is good same as islander. Nothing worse then buying a reel and not being able to get parts.

PM me for info on purchase.

Anyone have any experience with the new Trophy Titan XL reel?

It can be easily converted from right to left and has free spool option!

https://harbourchandler.ca/trophy-xl-titan2-mooching-reel-satin-silver/

Interesting. Looks like same legacy trophy but they just added the right/left option. Same cork drag with just a new look. The old ones are like 150.00 cheaper.

The R3ef from the designer of Trophy I have has the left/right option but no free spool. Drag is totally different.

The knockoff's were okay when they were 1/2 the price of an Islander
but at $420, you might as well go for the real thing if that's your type of reel.

Back