tough salmon

coriba

I caught a few largish springs, 20+, in Vancouver chuck, both red and white, and the meat seems tough. A tail end fillet off the BBQ is tough. The middle of the fillet, the lateral line, is tough, where that dark meat is. And the flesh doesn't come off the skin nicely either. I bled the fish right after catching, put on ice, and froze the same day in vacuum packs. I think I handled it right, but the meat is tough.

Anyone have similar experience or know why?

Dan

Yup, nice 22b red Sooke Spring, that i thought would be a great eater
turned out to be tough.
It was iced and cut up the next day. BBQ'D 2 days later
and no good !!!
i don't know what causes it. ???

If they weren't overcooked, could be low fat content.
If they were lurking near their natal river and waiting for rain to bring the river up they have stopped feeding and are living off the fatty tissue.

Howdy,

Sounds like 'over-cookin' to me.

I find fish to be much like chicken when BBQ'ing, you have to hit it just right or it dries out.

Soon as the meat pulls away from the spine easily, I rack'em up.

Cheers,
Terry

I"ve been cooking salmon on the BBQ for 20 years. Not overcooked, in fact a little underdone in the middle. Just tough fish.

It also helps to freese your fish after it has come out of rigour not before or during. If you freeze the fish pre rigour or while it is in rigour it can sometimes be very tough as the muscle has not relaxed. Hope that helps.

I've had the same thing in some of the larger springs I've taken. Seems like grissle (sp?) or something. Wierd. Especially in the tail section, both sides.

Coriba....I have found the same thing with local fish. I have a few good sized 20++ lb red springs from local waters and they don't even compare to the pile of salmon I brought back from the WCVI in mid-August. Just had some coho from the WCVI tonight and it was awesome.....had some Cap bound coho last weekend and it was noticeably different. I do NOT overcook either and been cooking salmon for a long time. My girlfriend is a professionally trained chef and I am pretty good in the kitchen too with all sorts of great recipes and we have both noticed the difference.

Back