Chalky white halibut

adanac

Ran into an issue this past weekend that I have never seen after killing and cleaning hundreds of halibut . While cutting an under slot sized fish caught off secret cove , the meat came out solid white , not translucent , completely opaque white , almost chalky and quite mushy . It almost looked like it had been cooked already . This fish was taken care of very well , gill and tail bled in the live well , then gutted and buried in salt ice over night . Has anyone else had this issue before ?

Maybe the salt in the ice? I've never used it but overnight might affect the meat,was it fillet'ed or still skin on?
Edit-Well that clears that up,never heard of it.

Commercial caught these are down graded as ”chalkers”and sold to fish and chippers and lower end markets. They tail cut and sometimes cut a slit in the side as welk at offload to identify them. It’s not handling related and more time of year and certain areas. It’s not harmful to consume and after battering and slathering in tartar sauce most people can’t tell. Ive never heard about this in sport caught so makes me think that depth might be a factor too.

Commercial caught these are down graded as ”chalkers”and sold to fish and chippers and lower end markets. They tail cut and sometimes cut a slit in the side as welk at offload to identify them. It’s not handling related and more time of year and certain areas. It’s not harmful to consume and after battering and slathering in tartar sauce most people can’t tell. Ive never heard about this in sport caught so makes me think that depth might be a factor too.
I was thinking too shallow so too warm. Plus clearly there isn't a hugely sustainable food source for them on the inside.

Caught lots of chalky halibut over the years. There were areas on the central coast that we stopped fishing because they were all chalky. Still tasted ok but didn't look the Part.

Not real uncommon according to a commy friend. He says it’s “ Luck of the draw “

Somebody had one in Port Renfrew one time. I never ate any so no comment on flavour/texture.

Back