The Sausage Factory

IronNoggin

The Sausage Factory

This is an excellent example of the Student FAR surpassing the teacher.

Many years ago a Buddy, both an excellent fishing guide & deadly cook, asked me if I would show him the ropes for making sausage. At that time my partner & I were producing several hundred pounds a year, so I simply said Sure, Come On Down. He caught on very quickly, and asked the odd piece of advice over the next year or so...

Then after a few more years he went to work in a butcher shop specializing in sausages and more.
Leap forward another few years, and now with one hell of a lot of experience under his belt. he began to build and outfit his own custom butchering and sausage making shop. That was around 5 years ago, and he has been hounding me since to come down and have a boo. Unfortunately until now I was unable to do so. But this year he basically demanded I show up, bring down some meat and my Polish Hunter Sausage recipe, noting he was willing to make that plus whatever else I wanted. How could I say no?

So I saddled up and made the run down there with the meat in tow. Been a spell since we had seen each other, and it was really great to do so once again! After a little BS'ing, we got down to the task at hand.

Here is Roy running the first batch (Hunter Sausage) through his massive meat grinder. I swear you could drop a whole cow into that and see it done within minutes!

The Beast:

A better shot showing more of that marvelous shop:

From there the ground meat goes into the mixer (another Beast!) along with the spices, binder & ice water. That machine made extremely fast work of a job I always dreaded (doing it by freezing hands):

Once it reaches the right consistency, the product goes into the Hydraulic Stuffer (which can take up to 60 pounds!) and is shot into the casings. Smoothest way I have ever seen that done:

Then racked and off to the Smoker:

Roy's smoker is huge (the Man never does anything in a small way!). You can see the external firebox to the left behind him. That gets filled with alder chunks and fired up once the smoker has reached the correct internal temperature.

The amount of smoke that produces it literally mind blowing! So much so that the smoking time is not a heck of a lot more than an hour!

The product turns out damned amazing!

Then it goes into a hot water bath to bring the internal temp up to snuff:

Once that temperature is realized, it goes into an ice water bath to instantly cool it down. Then onto racks to hang overnight to bloom. Forgot to take pix of those last two steps, but methinks you can visualize what I am getting at.

We then ran 40 pounds of brats through the process, and wrapped all of those before having a couple celebratory rums. Then up to the house for din-din. Roy bar-beed some wonderful moose burgers, topped with onion, cheese and fancy mushrooms, accompanied by home made fries and a fresh garden salad! Awesome hospitality, and of course awesome food!

Although Roy has one of the best chamber vacuum sealers going, I declined his generous offer to wrap all my smoked product. I knew this was coming, and had stocked up on a lot of rolls for my machine at home. So we chatted a spell over coffee before loading up my stuff. He did note that he rather liked the Polish Hunter Sausage (it is very unique and indeed excellent), so I left him with a coil and a half of that to enjoy.
I thanked him profusely, and then bade the Man a fond farewell noting I may well make this an annual trip!!

The run home was uneventful despite it being a long weekend.
But the truck certainly smelled Wonderful all the way home & still does!
Made it back in record time, and set up to put the product to bed.

Jalipino / Cheddar Smokies:

Polish Hunter Sausage:

The latter hit my taste buds so well I ate so much that I damn near did do supper any justice whatsoever!!

All in all a classic example of the Student really excelling the Teacher!
Roy's set up is one of the most professional I have ever seen, and a lot of folks have come to rely on his expertise to transform their meat into incredibly delicious products! Professionalism to the extreme!

Many MANY THANKS my Friend! Sincerely Appreciated!
And don't be surprised to hear a knock on your door following next year's hunting season!!

Cheers!
Nog

WOW thanks Bud yes it was indeed a great day , Just to mention a few quotes by nog ... LOL
He says to me before we get going as he had close to 100 lbs of meat... "you expect to get it all done in 1 day" (famous nog quote) we started at about 11 and it was all done and brats wrapped by 6 pm!!!!!!
YES the "beast" does rip into meat basically I can grind 20 lbs of meat in about 3 mins give or take #32 plate on it and 220 Volt. the "new" stuffer is a dream to work no more hand cranking!!!

A lil history into our relationship I was on SFBC when dial up was still a thing LOL and this forum was first going.
I first met Nog and Crabby and " my escape" aka kevin lench (RIP) and jeff osama binfishin , and a good guy by the name of paul T who invited me up to the browns bay derby like 25 years ago that first derby and alot of the SFBC guys was one of the most merorable things ive been a part of. man did we ever party that first night ...!!!!
Now fast forward to where we are now and im still what I consider "freinds" to these guys SFBC has been a great platform.
Matt has always been a great person to me and always helped me he was my mentor on first getting going on alot of things.

Cant thank you enough for all the talks and quick chats over the years, and yes we will have to make this a annual event . my great wife is the one who basically had dinner for us she made the hand cut fresh fries and the salad i just had to cook the meat up LOL

thanks agin NOG great times!!!!

Wolf

Those early years and those guys that attended were a blast. I got to know Matt better after that when I got one of his pups. Both of you have given me a lot of great info over the years. This site has been a great resource for info and a great place to meet some great people. Roy your setup looks great.

Best thing I ever did was take my game meat to Roy!!! Great prices and an unbelievable finished product! Even after moving from the island 5 years ago I still think about bringing a bunch down to get some more smokies made!!!

He says to me before we get going as he had close to 100 lbs of meat... "you expect to get it all done in 1 day" (famous nog quote) we started at about 11 and it was all done and brats wrapped by 6 pm!!!!!!

A lil history into our relationship I was on SFBC when dial up was still a thing LOL and this forum was first going.
I first met Nog and Crabby and " my escape" aka kevin lench (RIP) and jeff osama binfishin , and a good guy by the name of paul T who invited me up to the browns bay derby like 25 years ago that first derby and alot of the SFBC guys was one of the most merorable things ive been a part of. man did we ever party that first night ...!!!!

Yep. I was quite amazed how quick, and how fine that all went.
Would have taken me a day and a half to accomplish, and the product would not have been as good!!
Awesome!

Man I still remember those early days like yesterday!
One hell of a fine crew, and one hell of a lot of FUN!
Been great to stay in touch with so many from back then and of course I too still consider them Buddies!

You sure came a loooong way since our first conversations regarding sausage making my Friend!
You are now beyond "Pro" level and it shows!

Thanks for the invite to make this an annual event!
You can bet that I will be taking you up on that!

Hat's off to your Lady for that excellent dinner and the fine hospitality!

And thanks to you again too buddy!
Indeed Great Times!!

Cheers,
Nog

Yep. I was quite amazed how quick, and how fine that all went.
Would have taken me a day and a half to accomplish, and the product would not have been as good!!
Awesome!

Man I still remember those early days like yesterday!
One hell of a fine crew, and one hell of a lot of FUN!
Been great to stay in touch with so many from back then and of course I too still consider them Buddies!

You sure came a loooong way since our first conversations regarding sausage making my Friend!
You are now beyond "Pro" level and it shows!

Thanks for the invite to make this an annual event!
You can bet that I will be taking you up on that!

Hat's off to your Lady for that excellent dinner and the fine hospitality!

And thanks to you again too buddy!
Indeed Great Times!!

Cheers,
Nog
Guys, this forum got waaaaay better around 2017. Just one man's unbiased opinion ;)

IF I ONLY had a bigger shop, funny you posted this as I just zipped up island to get a new/used 2 door bootom condensor freezer..

Back