Torsion axles - replace or new trailer

Seasalt

I have a Aluminum I-beam, 2007 dual axle trailer with torsion axles that I tow a Grady Seafarer on. A few of the tires are wearing much faster on the inside
than the others. I am not sure if an axle is bent, the axle is mis-aligned or the axle showing its age ( or all of the above! ). Have inquired at a few places and get mostly shrugs or advised to get a new trailer, a 10 -12g proposition for something similar like a Tuff. It still really nice and I have invested in Kodiak stainless brakes which have been great, but I am a little uncertain where to go from here. I wanted to pick everyone's brain here as there is always such great information. Thoughts and trailer repair place suggestions would be appreciated, Victoria area or Lower mainland??

Attachments

• IMG_2818.jpg
    IMG_2818.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 47
i would built a new glider assembly that will bolt to your original torsion axle bolt holes and have it galvanized, then all you brakes could be transferred to the new axles, that way you are basically just changing to a spring suspension axle assembly. not replacing the whole trailer

I looked into this over the summer as I have one axel that is wearing the inside edge of my tires. I am pretty sure it’s due to a worn out torsion axle. A shop quoted me 3k for a new axle which is crazy. I found the same axle in the us online for 500. Just waiting for the border to reopen.

most reading that I have done gives torsion axles a life expectancy of 5years as the rubber dampers wear out which can’t be replaced.

I looked into this over the summer as I have one axel that is wearing the inside edge of my tires. I am pretty sure it’s due to a worn out torsion axle. A shop quoted me 3k for a new axle which is crazy. I found the same axle in the us online for 500. Just waiting for the border to reopen.

most reading that I have done gives torsion axles a life expectancy of 5years as the rubber dampers wear out which can’t be replaced.
What size trailer u have Capt , I might be doing the same with mine soon. Be nice to follow what your doing. Hope u post it
Thanks

that is the reason i would switch to a spring axle, much cheaper to swap out springs than axles

"Seasalt",there's only one good solution to your problem.Sell me your boat for a reasonable price and let me deal with the trailer problem.
I'm glad you like it. That picture was after I had it all polished up before the season .The trailer isn't too big of problem ...yet I've thrown so much money at that boatI can't ever sell it!

Looking at US sites like the hull truth, its seems like 7-10 yrs for moderate use. Some less, some more.

Back