Gateway trailer torsion axles

Fisher_dude

Crew Member
I popped my tires off my trailer yesterday to take them to get some new rubber installed and I noticed some play around the splined shaft of the torsion assembly. Does anyone have some input on these and whether or not it’s normal?

If it’s this spline from the end of the arm to the shaft in the axle, there should be no movement at the spline. There are different types but this one has a bolt that tightens the arm to the splined shaft. If you have movement you probably have some wear due to corrosion. This one is adjustable, some are not. Mine is on a square shaft and is welded on.
1693432641137.jpeg

Talked to one of their service guys. He was flabbergasted that there was any play. He said they usually have a hard time getting any play in them at all cause they are so corroded that they end up cutting them off when servicing them. Told me to tighten it up more and it will go away. He said to take one of the bolts out and double check to see that it’s not bottoming out on the threads and if it was, to add another washer in and then tighten back down. I did that, found out the nuts were NOT bottoming out and had quite a few threads left. Hit them all with PB blaster and went to town with a 1.25” wrench. Everything tightened back up. Zero play. Problem fixed. New tires on. Time to fish!

Nice sorry for the late response hot caught up in a low oil pressure issue,mine sre tight no play at all...good info for future problems thanks

My buddy has the same one Kaltire in McNeill is replacing the whole torsion assembly because the bearing has fail 5 times in 4 years

Back