Tales From The Tyee Pool.....2023

Just a quick update, but no good news.

Yesterday morning saw Jim Clowes subdue a mighty 20 pounder early, followed much later by a 28 pounder by RD Berger and crew and also a 24 1/2 pounder by old salt Joe, whose last name has escaped me for the moment.

Couple of hookups just at dark last night, but no fish brought in.
Nothing from the early morning crew and I see a couple of spoon-dangling day timers out right now.

I'll be out tonight so we'll see what happens.
My adage is you can't catch them if they are not there.
Heard that the fishing pier downtown has six fish over 30 so maybe they are holding down there.
Remains to be seen.

Take care.
go get em Dave!

hopefully this rain starts the pinks moving up the river

It didn't, as there were still Pinks jumping in the Tyee pool last night.

However, while tending to the garbage can at Eric's Riffle earlier, I spoke with a guy who told me that yesterday there were but 20 Pinks that arrived at the hatchery, whereas there were 200 this morning.
Definite increase in numbers of anglers also.

Hoping they move along as I don't like seeing them in the pool. Noticeable increase in shore-casters recently too, with both fly and lure casters trying their luck.

Later.

Take care.

39x25 always hung 30ish when I used to catch those in the guiding days.

It's confusing sometimes too.

Couple years back Bob Main got a 32 pounder in the morning that was just under 39 inches long.

The Daily Double was in play so that evening Bob was out again and hooked up with a good one.
The fish was finally boated and after a quick look much hooting and hollering was heard from their boat.
The fish measured nearly 42 inches, surely a Tyee, but on the scale was ounces short of 30 pounds.
Bob cried on my shoulder that night. LOL

I'd settle for a Cabezon about now.

Take care.

they have started entering the river as lots of guys are catching, but i can imagine the pool is rife with them also!

2 i brought home the other night. saw another guy catch 2 and another guy got 3.

1691793292223.png

Eureka!!

We have another Tyee on the board as at some ungodly early hour this morning.

After what I was told was a Herculean battle between brothers over who would hold the rod and who would row, it was decided that Bruce would hold the rod and Reid would do the rowing.
I believe this decision was reached after three rounds of competition involving best two out of three coin tosses, a vigorous pillow fight and an arm-wrestling contest on Bob's table in the clubhouse yard.
Those Herkes boys are competitive. LOL

Anyway, no photo as yet but it was a 33 pounder and caught the same date as the first one last year, if memory serves, so numerically we are one ahead of last year's pace. (Whoopee)

Last evening brought an event I hadn't witnessed before, a marriage proposal in a rowboat in the pool.
Sitting with one of my rod-holders and sizing up the weather, we were somewhat startled to hear a big cheer coming from one of two boats that were close together out front and briefly thought one or the other either had a fish on or had just boated one. That brief thought didn't pass scrutiny as we hadn't seen any activity indicating a fish had been hooked. It had to be a cheer for something else.

I need to get the names of the people involved but It was clear the answer to the proposal was YES, indicated by the cheers.
I believe the young lady is the daughter of Bridgit Pomeroy, nee Kiley, a person I remember since the day she was born, as her parents were neighbors in 1963.
I'll find out the other names and pass them along, with my very best wishes for a long and happy marriage.

Congratulations also to the Herkes brothers for their nice Tyee this morning.
Hoping for no or little wind this evening so Dean and I can get number three.

Take care.

As previously threatened, here's a photo of the Herkes brothers and their beauty fish from this morning.

HerkesTyee23.jpg

Chubby little thing for sure.

Take care.

Mystery, excitement, heartbreak and a good workout, all in a short period of time last night.

With rodman Dean ready to go and what looked like doable if not pleasant conditions at hand, we ventured forth from our mooring spot around 7:45 last night, hopes slightly elevated by the fact that another Tyee had been registered and a few unders hooked.
With a small ebb current initially and a countervailing wind from the NW it seemed like the conditions might half neutralize each other so rowing wouldn't be a hard go. This proved true for the first half of the row, but changed later on, meaning I started running out of gas just at dark as rowing against the wind and the current while not yet in good shape almost kicked my butt.

Didn't really matter as we had our excitement barely 10 minutes after leaving the dock.
Deam motored us along until I saw a good spot to turn out, whereupon Dean deftly turned us, shut off the engine and I took up the oars.
I gave him the set-up with my Rex Field shovel-nose plug and then rowed us into position before Dean let out line.
I affixed the weight, and then Dean let out another number of pulls and settled down to rod-holding, while I stayed on my favorite line, using tried and true markers.

I don't think 10 minutes had passed before we got a strong strike and Dean was hooked up.
We yelled "FISH ON", mostly because it's neat to be able to do so, and the one boat near us graciously moved off as I rowed us outside.
The fish was pulling hard, and Dean was getting set for the scrap and I was elated we'd hooked up so quickly.
Imagine my horror to hear these words, coming from Dean.

"The reel just fell off."

"What?" I asked, confused as could be.

He had somehow managed to hold the reel onto the rod while line was peeling off, screw the reel back into position while line was peeling off, plus managed to get one of his fingers in the path of the reel handle, spinning quite quickly as line was peeling off, and then he bled a bit.

Meanwhile, being the old consummate calm guy I am, I was frantically trying to figure out how the reel became loose in the reel seat, given I am fairly fastidious about setting up my gear, and far from a rookie.
I have no answer. No idea, and almost can't believe it happened.
But it did.

Meanwhile, after rowing us clear and with Dean having salvaged the situation with the reel, I followed the antics of the fish, trying to get on the upstream side of it, so it would have to fight both the current and Dean during the fight.
Dean was calmly reacting to every move the fish made and actually got some line back as he drew the quarry closer to the boat. Our position was now such that I was looking into the Sun, still above the horizon, so couldn't see the fish but as it flashed by across our stern Dean exclaimed that it had a big tail and felt really good.
He's an experienced angler so this elevated my hopes to a new level, and I started mentally preparing for what I saw as the end game, soon to be happening, the way it seemed right then. I checked to make sure my net was clear and right at hand. I thought about which side of the boat should we bring it to as well as whether or not we'd let it go if it was clearly an under, so we could keep trying for a Tyee, given it was still early.

The fish ran across our stern again and as I watched the rod, heavily bent over as it should be, I was horrified to see it suddenly snap up straight just as the words, "It's gone," escaped Dean's lips.
Reeling in we found the weight had been lost during the scrap but everything else was fine. The plug was there and the line was intact.
The hook just came out and there was nothing we could do about that.

Well, almost nothing.
As the rower, I always blame the rod-holder when one gets away, so last night it was all Dean's fault.

I, as always, rowed magnificently.

Heard of a 30 pound and some ounces registered early this morning but have no details as yet.
Fill you in later.

Take care.

As noted above, this nice little fish became the third Tyee of the season, handled deftly by Mike Newton on the rod and rowed by iconic rower Morris Trace.

TyeeNewtonTrace.jpg

This is the second Tyee for Mike this year, which means he's in the lead for the Isfeld Memorial Trophy, awarded to the angler who registers the largest pair of Tyee caught on separate days of the season.
The fish took a plug and was caught at 5:10 AM today.

Well done men.

Take care.

Dave, you ever think about zapstrapping the reel to the rod?

Kind of related story, this morning I had my brand new rod and reel leap out of the rod holder and go for a 200' deep swim. Luckily (?) it wasn't a lunker strike as I was able to raise the cannonball and, miraculously, the line was still attached to the clip and I was able to haul in my new gear by hand. I cried, I laughed, I learned a good lesson!

Monday morning and more positive news.

Last night I rested my old body and didn't battle the elements, but other more intrepid rowers ventured forth and a few of them caught a fish.
Saw a 24 pounder early on and Bob claimed two more unders came in, one at 27 something and one at 29 something.

The good news, however, is that we have a new member of the Tyee Club of BC, as one Davin Saunders boated a 30-pound 14-ounce Tyee, hooked just after I left last night.
He was rowed by Tyson Berkenstock and the fish took a plug.
Here they are.

Tyee23Berkenstock.jpg

This fish was the exact weight of the previous Tyee, rowed by Morris Trace with Mike Newton on the rod.
Lots of Pinks cavorting around in the pool last night so the river anglers should be having some fun going forward.

Blowing this morning so we'll see what this evening looks like before venturing forth.

Take care.

Greetings and apologies for lack of updates, but until this morning there really hasn't been much to report on.

That changed this AM when local rower Greg Askey, apparently dissatisfied with the caliber of rod-holders he'd endured previously, went out by himself and rowed a nice 32 1/2 pounder, it becoming the fifth Tyee on the board.
Greg used a plug and the fish struck at some ungodly hour in the morning when normal people are still enjoying time in their fart-sacks, while keeners are out rowing around in the dark.

Good going Greg.

After personally spending the past three nights on the beach I'm determined to get out tonight, hoping the wind will die off a bit and with the ebb current to balance it out it might be doable, if not pleasant.
One can only hope.

Pic later after I filch it.

Take care.

Greetings and apologies for lack of updates, but until this morning there really hasn't been much to report on.

That changed this AM when local rower Greg Askey, apparently dissatisfied with the caliber of rod-holders he'd endured previously, went out by himself and rowed a nice 32 1/2 pounder, it becoming the fifth Tyee on the board.
Greg used a plug and the fish struck at some ungodly hour in the morning when normal people are still enjoying time in their fart-sacks, while keeners are out rowing around in the dark.

Good going Greg.

After personally spending the past three nights on the beach I'm determined to get out tonight, hoping the wind will die off a bit and with the ebb current to balance it out it might be doable, if not pleasant.
One can only hope.

Pic later after I filch it.

Take care.
Finally got some time to catch up on the best thread, as much as I want you to break your dry spell I want to be the rod holder for that hahahha unfortunately I wont be getting there this summer but thinking on planning my vacation for late august next summer so we can do just that Dave. But if it makes you feel better I'll allow a just over tyee to break the dryspell then next summer we break a record :) Thanks for the updates will be following along from the sidelines....

Here's the photo of Greg and his beautiful little Tyee.
Thanks to the Tyee Club for posting it and letting me filch it for this thread.

TyeeAskey23.jpg
Well done Greg.

Take care.

My favorite way to start a new update is to not get all batty about things and simply report the facts.
Unfortunately, our tour of the Tyee Pool last evening was interrupted by the peal of the bell, rung to signify the successful registering of a new Tyee, so we knew someone had scored.

We wondered who, as we didn't recognize either of the two guys celebrating their success and it was only after finishing our row about that I discovered it was worth celebrating, although not a large fish at only 31 pounds.
The reason for extra celebrations is that the fish allowed a brand new member to join the Tyee Club of BC and he was rowed into it by a rookie rower to boot.

The new member is one Sean Batty, and the rookie rower was MacKenzie Collins.
Congratulations to both and a big WELL DONE from me, who remembers the year I was a rookie and rowed a new member into the club, too.
It feels great.

Checking on this morning's activities I discovered that there were eight unders rowed this AM, the largest at 28 pounds or so.
Hopefully this signals some new arrivals of fish and once the other rowers weed out the little ones there might be a big one left for us.
Ha ha ha ha.

As always, pics to follow.

Take care.

The tyee club actually has a live web cam and it is very interesting to watch the boats. It updates every 15 minutes, I think. The pic right now shows a guy carrying a nice fish up to get weighed. There was a lot of boats out at daylight. very cool camera

This should get you there.

Take care.

Quick Friday morning update and some enlightenment to the question, for whom the bell tolls?

Last night was a beach night for me as I really don't like rowing when it's windy, even though I can.
My rodman for the evening was understanding and lives close enough that I can call on short notice and get him out under more pleasurable conditions.

There were almost 20 rowers out last night, ranging from hardened old, wizened wizards of the pool to solo rookies.
Guess who caught the biggest Tyee of the season to date?
Mr. Trevor Gains, that's who, the solo rookie.
Trevor rowed himself a nice 36 plus pounder last night at around 9:00 PM, just after I'd gone home.
This made him a new member of the Tyee Club of BC plus the second rookie rower to score this season plus puts him on the top of the board, for now.
I say good going Trevor and early apologies for when I row a bigger one.

Early this morning, after my morning ablutions, I turned on my magical computing device and took a look at the camera image from the Tyee Club.
Lo and behold, there was a fish hanging on the scale and the number 30 hanging next to it.
After savoring my morning coffee, checking the news for anything new regarding the interior wildfires happening in BC plus those in the NWT, and making a trip to dump my recyclables, I wandered down to the clubhouse to get caught up.
Seems one David Duke was the rodman this morning and he was rowed by Ken Duke, possibly a close relative.
Their Tyee was 30 pounds and a bit, but a Tyee for sure.

Well done gentlemen, but I have a serious question for you two.
Just exactly where was Daisy this morning?
I looked very carefully, but she was nowhere to be found.
I was heart-broken, to say the least.
And here's why.
DaisyDuke.jpg

I'd probably row her in the wind.

Take care.

Getting caught up on photos of the successful anglers recently, so here ya go.
TyeeBatty23.jpg

Sean Batty and rower MacKenzie Collins, new member and rookie rower.

Next, solo rower with biggest fish to date, Trevor Gains. New member and a rookie rower also.

TyeeGains23.jpg
And the Dukes, father and son with their fish this morning.

TyeeDukes23.jpg

Well done to all.

Take care.

Back