Tales From The Tyee Pool........2022

drop off service menu
Was a beauty evening on the water last night Dave. Windy but tide and wind were counter acting each other so was easy row. Hopefully see you out there tonight.

It WAS a beauty evening last night and I took a couple of pics to share here.
Nice little parade of cruise ships last night with the New Amsterdam (I think) leading the way, pictured here.

DSCN7367.JPG
Amazing how large these ships are, so here she is just before eclipsing Copper Bluffs, for comparison
DSCN7366.JPG
Don't know the name of this one, but it was the second one in line.
DSCN7370.JPG

Also watched a few rowers out last night but nothing happening as far as I could see.

RSCN7374.JPG

Not sure who the outside boat is here, but someone needs to reiterate the motoring rules for rowboats to them 'cause they motored out way too far into the pool when starting their evening out.
Hard for the club to complain about others motoring through the pool when people see rowboats ignoring the rules too.
Nobody on the beach who saw them was pleased, I can assure you.

Take care.

Last edited:
Great as always, Dave. BTW I passed that big blue Holland America vessel last night on way south. It looked as though they were going to run the channel between lasqueiti and texada based on course. Just a huge vessel indeed.

It WAS a beauty evening last night and I took a couple of pics to share here.
Nice little parade of cruise ships last night with the New Amsterdam (I think) leading the way, pictured here.

View attachment 83045
Amazing how large these ships are, so here she is just before eclipsing Copper Bluffs, for comparison
View attachment 83046
Don't know the name of this one, but it was the second one in line.
View attachment 83048

Also watched a few rowers out last night but nothing happening as far as I could see.

View attachment 83049

Not sure who the outside boat is here, but someone needs to reiterate the motoring rules for rowboats to them 'cause they motored out way too far into the pool when starting their evening out.
Hard for the club to complain about others motoring through the pool when people see rowboats ignoring the rules too.
Nobody on the beach who saw them was pleased, I can assure you.

Take care.
Ship #2 ........... Must have been one of those Viener Damm Boats

Great as always, Dave. BTW I passed that big blue Holland America vessel last night on way south. It looked as though they were going to run the channel between lasqueiti and texada based on course. Just a huge vessel indeed.
We see this from our viewpoint on thormanby reasonably often. They must be doing it to give guests some excitement, not like they're small craft looking to avoid the rougher water usually found on the VI side of the Strait.

First of August and no fish to report on as yet.
However, I'll be out tonight for my first row of the season and if my rod-holder works out then I suspect we'll get the first Tyee of the season.
(He promised to bring one along from Nootka.) Ha ha.

To kill time and keep you updated, here are some pics showing a few new things at the Clubhouse plus the tumultuous skies we enjoyed last night.

First, and as always, Bob and Judy have kept the wee garden/flowers area looking good despite not actually living onsite and having to deal with the constructions crews coming and going. The lawn has suffered a bit but still looks ok.
I say WELL DONE.
DSCN7389.JPG
I don't know who created the lovely painted rocks that now adorn the front yard, but they are really a nice addition and topical too. Here's a couple pics of some of them.
RSCN7390.JPG

RSCN7391.JPG

RSCN7392.JPG

Did I mention the tumultuous skies?

DSCN7385.JPG

Reminded me of some of the old photos of aerial dogfights above England during WWII.

We also saw a good looking working ship pass by but I can't quite read its name and haven't looked it up, but it certainly looks like a good working platform.

RSCN7393.JPG

And that's about it for now. Nothing caught last night or this morning but someone has to catch the first one and with this being a much cooler day I'm more motivated to get out there and be the first one to weigh in a Tyee.

It could happen.

Take care.

EDIT: I discovered this evening that the painted rocks decorating the clubhouse grounds were done by Patty Brown and Deb Idiens, so a big thanks to them for their efforts. They are quite neat.

Last edited:
Dave - as always, this is the thread I look forward to each year! As an aside, put the Marine Traffic app on your phone. With it you can get the AIS (automated identification system) information for each large boat that passes by. You'll not only get the name but the dimensions of the ship, it's speed, direction, destination and ETA to destination (most of the time).

Dave - as always, this is the thread I look forward to each year! As an aside, put the Marine Traffic app on your phone. With it you can get the AIS (automated identification system) information for each large boat that passes by. You'll not only get the name but the dimensions of the ship, it's speed, direction, destination and ETA to destination (most of the time).

I have a flip-phone upon which I talk and sometimes text, but thanks for your info anyway.

I have threatened to move forward and buy a smart phone some day, maybe, etc. etc. but as yet, nope.

It could happen. LOL

Appreciate your input for sure. Thanks.

Take care.

I have a flip-phone upon which I talk and sometimes text, but thanks for your info anyway.

I have threatened to move forward and buy a smart phone some day, maybe, etc. etc. but as yet, nope.

It could happen. LOL

Appreciate your input for sure. Thanks.

Take care.
You can go to MarineTraffic.com on the computer also.

Brief update with a hopeful note.

Word yesterday was that a 31 pounder and a 27 pounder were taken from Discovery Fishing Pier, which is good news as often the local Tyee show there before moving into the pool.
Noted a dozen boats out last night and Bob told me there were 13 out this morning.

Nothing taken in the pool as yet but tonight or tomorrow seem like good bets for someone to get something.

I always feel better fishing when I know there are fish in the pool, probably not a feeling unique to me. LOL

Anyway, methinks I'll be out there sooner or later, not likely tonight though as I've got a dog recovering from a surgery yesterday and I'll be tending to him.

Take care.

I just moved to CR yesterday. Got our new house in March, and did our final load yesterday. I’m very interested in being a rod holder. How does a person get connected with this community? That is the boat owners. Dave, you seem very generous in offering people seats. But I know you can’t accommodate every request.
I have a large ocean boat and can trade trips?
Excited to try this experience and hopefully join The Club!!!
i am interested in finding a few more people interested in sharing the rowing and fishing in my boat. I used to only row but I broke my wrist a while back and the end result was not good. Tonight will be the first time I have attempted rowing since the accident. Send me a pm if you are interested.
Bruce

Brief update with a hopeful note.

Word yesterday was that a 31 pounder and a 27 pounder were taken from Discovery Fishing Pier, which is good news as often the local Tyee show there before moving into the pool.
Noted a dozen boats out last night and Bob told me there were 13 out this morning.

Nothing taken in the pool as yet but tonight or tomorrow seem like good bets for someone to get something.

I always feel better fishing when I know there are fish in the pool, probably not a feeling unique to me. LOL

Anyway, methinks I'll be out there sooner or later, not likely tonight though as I've got a dog recovering from a surgery yesterday and I'll be tending to him.

Take care.
Evening Dave,
nice to hear a report of fish from the pier..... I'll be up in CR between the 13th-20th and will try the Tyee Spit and Pier. Hopefully I can get one of the slabs that are showing.

Evening Dave,
nice to hear a report of fish from the pier..... I'll be up in CR between the 13th-20th and will try the Tyee Spit and Pier. Hopefully I can get one of the slabs that are showing.

Got 14th. thru 17th. free still.

Pick a night and I'll pencil you in.

One little one taken from the pool this morning but released by the duo of Randy K on the oars and Fred G on the rod.
They have proven to be a deadly combination in the past, so for them to hook up is not unusual..

A Tyee can't be far away now.

Take care.

Got 14th. thru 17th. free still.

Pick a night and I'll pencil you in.

One little one taken from the pool this morning but released by the duo of Randy K on the oars and Fred G on the rod.
They have proven to be a deadly combination in the past, so for them to hook up is not unusual..

A Tyee can't be far away now.

Take care.
Afternoon Dave,
The evening of the 17th. would be awesome. Looking forward to it.

Thanks

John I.

Afternoon Dave,
The evening of the 17th. would be awesome. Looking forward to it.

Thanks

John I.

Got you slotted in for the 17th.

Meet at clubhouse around 7:00 PM and carry on from there.

See you then.

Take care.

Got you slotted in for the 17th.

Meet at clubhouse around 7:00 PM and carry on from there.

See you then.

Take care.
Thanks Dave,
Be there with bells on ready to go.... see you on the 17th.

ttys

John I.

Just heard a white hulled Tyee rowboat is missing and presumed stolen from the downtown wharf in Campbell River.

I'm told it has Strikes 90 on the side of it and was found to be missing when the owner went to get it earlier tonight.
A police report has been made so all we can do now is keep an eye out and report if you see it.

Thanks.

Take care.

Just left the clubhouse after watching a small crew trying for the first Tyee during this lovely evening.
Alas, although we had a brief moment of excitement when one of the boats pulled out with a fish on, it all came to naught as after netting it a close look certified it was not a Tyee, so it was released. Don't know if anything else happened, but I haven't heard the bell ring.
Not very good tides these evenings but they get better as the week moves along, looking ahead.
Here are a few quick shots from earlier.

The small pack seemed divided between those fishing the north end, off the bar, and those favoring the south end, around the mooring buoy.
Here are a few of the northern crew.
RSCN7404.JPG
And here are a few southern boats, rowing uphill from the looks of it. LOL
RSCN7403.JPG

Don't have the story on this neat looking mailbox, but it's highly illegal, having two treble hooks on it.
Fishy looking, thoughDSCN7397.JPG

On a totally unrelated to fishing note, here's a photo of Brad Aumen in the winners circle last Friday night at Penticton Speedway, where he won the Main Event driving my pals winged sprint car. This is a new car and Brad, son of Hall Of Fame racer Scott Aumen, is leading the points race in the new Northwest Sprint Tour. On Saturday night he came second in the Main, being narrowly edged out for the win. My friend of 60 years, Tom Turner, is the car owner and extremely delighted at how well they are doing this year.
I am too. Tom in khaki shorts in back of photo. I want to get him a Tyee so bad..............
BradAumenPentictonWinnerCircle.jpg

Take care.

Just left the clubhouse after watching a small crew trying for the first Tyee during this lovely evening.
Alas, although we had a brief moment of excitement when one of the boats pulled out with a fish on, it all came to naught as after netting it a close look certified it was not a Tyee, so it was released. Don't know if anything else happened, but I haven't heard the bell ring.
Not very good tides these evenings but they get better as the week moves along, looking ahead.
Here are a few quick shots from earlier.

The small pack seemed divided between those fishing the north end, off the bar, and those favoring the south end, around the mooring buoy.
Here are a few of the northern crew.
View attachment 83286
And here are a few southern boats, rowing uphill from the looks of it. LOL
View attachment 83287

Don't have the story on this neat looking mailbox, but it's highly illegal, having two treble hooks on it.
Fishy looking, thoughView attachment 83288

On a totally unrelated to fishing note, here's a photo of Brad Aumen in the winners circle last Friday night at Penticton Speedway, where he won the Main Event driving my pals winged sprint car. This is a new car and Brad, son of Hall Of Fame racer Scott Aumen, is leading the points race in the new Northwest Sprint Tour. On Saturday night he came second in the Main, being narrowly edged out for the win. My friend of 60 years, Tom Turner, is the car owner and extremely delighted at how well they are doing this year.
I am too. Tom in khaki shorts in back of photo. I want to get him a Tyee so bad..............
View attachment 83289

I lost one last night at about 9:00 pm near the north end of the Argo. I only had it on for about nine seconds, so not well hooked but it was a deep thumper.

Bruce
Take care.

Back