Tales From The Tyee Pool...........2016....

Hi Dave,

Yes you can put me down for Aug 30 if that is still open.

Thanks again,

Done.

See you at 6:30 PM at the Tyee Clubhouse.

Take care.

Reactions: RBL
Hey Dave.....I know it's been slow for Tyee's getting caught but are there at least some unders getting caught?

Been eight or so unders I've heard of and the odd fish rolling in front of the Clubhouse, but the main body has not shown yet.

Everyone is hoping the decent flood tides happening will bring new fish so that, coupled with the fact Randy K is back and hard at it, will certainly tell us what's happening soon.

The old pro's are fishing the bar hard on the flood so if and when the fish show up they'll be the first to know.

Last year the second Tyee wasn't caught until the 17th or so if memory serves, so we're still on schedule, more or less.

Still good reports of Chinook catches north of us, "good" being a relative thing this year though.

We're hoping they're heading this way.

Take care.

Thanks Dave. I have heard that there is some good size fish making there way down the strait. I bet it turns on any day now. Good luck out there and hopefully see you in a couple weeks!

Like most civilized people my age I was lying abed this morning at 6:00 AM when some thoughtless person rang a large bell somewhere in the distance.
Half asleep, or perhaps half awake, I wondered if I'd actually heard it or simply imagined it, then rolled over and wiggled into a more comfortable position.

Later, after walking the dog and reading the paper I biked down to the clubhouse and noted immediately the first number on the board had changed.
It now showed 34 instead of the previous 34 1/2 representing Bruce's first Tyee caught way back on the 2nd.

Bob popped out from the clubhouse and asked if I'd noticed the board then answered my unspoken question thusly.

"Norm Lee, 5:30 AM."

I walked over to look at the score-board and noted Norm had rowed himself and caught it on a plug.

"RK says that wind yesterday was killer and wore him out," Bob said. "He also said there were fish rolling on the bar yesterday, but really hard to fish for them."

I didn't row last night as it was windy enough to be discouraging and that, coupled with the lack of fish to date made it easy to opt out. I'm going to try to get two guys out tonight but it's all dependent on the wind and I'm not the youthful lad I once was. LOL

Anyway, if we're following last year's path then we should see a number of fish taken this next week and hopefully some will be Tyee size.

Pray for the winds to die though. Really need that to happen.

Take care.

Here's the 34 that Norm rowed himself into.
Nice fish.

Norm-Lee-2016-34-268x300.jpg

Nothing since and too windy and big flood for much fishing today.

Take care.

Beautiful fish. And thank you Dave for the nice evening out Monday. Breanna and I had a blast. Breanna actually enjoyed it so much a tyee boats been added to my 'to buy list' :rolleyes:.
Thanks again, and good luck to you in the upcoming weeks.

Beautiful fish. And thank you Dave for the nice evening out Monday. Breanna and I had a blast. Breanna actually enjoyed it so much a tyee boats been added to my 'to buy list' :rolleyes:.
Thanks again, and good luck to you in the upcoming weeks.

It was my pleasure and double so to discover the T-shirt connection and the one-only front decal "mistake" one I have too.

Cracked me up.

Thanks for hanging out in the boat with me and we'll do it again for sure.

Take care.

Turned out to be a gorgeous evening in the pool with the full moon rising over Quadra just at dark and some 26 boats out hoping for that magic feeling to be disturbed by the adrenaline rush of a strike.

Alas.

No new fish.

Take care.

The first post of this thread is me and 2 buddies of mine, all rookies and absolutely hooked!! Beautiful fish Bruce and Norm! I caught an undersize (20lb) a few weeks back, noticed this morning a boat at shore,fish in hand. Im stuck at work dreaming of seeing the rod tip bow. Best of luck everyone! Tight lines

The first post of this thread is me and 2 buddies of mine, all rookies and absolutely hooked!! Beautiful fish Bruce and Norm! I caught an undersize (20lb) a few weeks back, noticed this morning a boat at shore,fish in hand. Im stuck at work dreaming of seeing the rod tip bow. Best of luck everyone! Tight lines

Welcome to Tyee fishing and good going for the 20 pounder. I still smell skunky so...........my hat's off. :D

Seems it's a morning bite right now as three unders were reported this morning and there were 26 boats out, which is a big number for the early AM shift.

Still slim pickings regarding Tyee but we always have hope.

See you out there.

Take care.

Had anyone out latley Dave? Whats the word on the beach!? Cant wait till wednesday! Tides arent looking the greatest till the weekend but wont catch 1 if the lines not in the water!

Wish I had awesome news to report.

Alas, other than Jigger Joe taking a 30 pounder yesterday there have been no new Tyee taken.

A few unders but nothing else.

Didn't row the last two nights as Sat. was UFC night and tonight was windy with only half the fleet or less out.

Hope is fading for any decent numbers this year but as the saying goes, "It's called fishing, not catching." so we'll try 'til the end of the season, whenever that may be.

Take care.

Thanks for keeping us up to date Dave, sure don't make me feel so bad for our late July attemp! Although I am still rooting for you guys from back in the mountains of Alberta. Good luck out there

Lovely evening out there tonight but I saw no sign of fish.

Ironically the pier anglers have taken eight or so Tyee sized fish this past week with three recently I'm told.

As well, a local old-timer told me there were lots of fish rolling south of town and the fishing pier down towards what we called the Forestry Pool back in the day.

There is some speculation these could be fish from a net-pen Chinook project done at Hidden Harbour the past few years and given there is no river for them there the hope is they will start to move up into the Tyee Pool soon.

We'll be checking that out methinks.

So far I'm holding my own in the catching department this year...................................tied with about 40 other people at zero. LOL

Anyway, back at 'er tomorrow.

Take care.

Huge excitement in my boat last night.........HUGE I tell ya!!

We had a strike!!

Sure, my rod-holder was half asleep having been up since 5:00 AM and travelled to CR that day but still.......

He reeled down on it after slightly missing the first hit and felt it briefly again but no hook-up resulted.

Still only two registered Tyee here and tons of fish holding south of town it appears with some eight Tyee caught from the fishing pier and I just heard of a motor-boater and crew bringing in six plus 30 pounders yesterday, which is great news that there are some but bad news in that they are not here in the pool.

Apparently it's difficult to row where the fish are when there are a lot of motor-boats in the area although a few guys have tried it.

Frustrating for sure.

Anyway, wind permitting I shall be rowing my old pal Dave Crockett again tonight and for obvious reasons I'd really love to be the guy that rowed Dave Crockett into the Tyee Club.

Then I could go after the Lone Ranger maybe. LOL

Take care.

Back