Tales From The Tyee Pool.......2015

For whom the bell tolls, over and over and over.

Heard from a neighbor that the bell rang twice this morning while I was still abed, once only three rings but the other number was four.

I hustled down to the clubhouse to discover that Norm Lee had rowed himself this morning and managed a 40 1/2 pounder solo, now the leading fish on the board.

In addition, the other Tyee, barely 30 pounds apparently but all of 30 pounds, was rowed by Randy Killoran and his very experienced rodman, Mr. Dale Kashuba.

So that's three out of the four rowed by Randy and two of the four boated by Dale.

Fish hogs I tell ya.

Fish hogs. LOL

Unfishable right now and we'll have to see what this evening brings, as it could be the same, with a flooding tide and a following wind.

Yucky.

Take care.

I believe what Dave means is that another scenic shot as opposed to one of a tyee equals no fish weighed in on last night's tide.
Got it. Thanks Teal. Was definitely reading it differently, but all makes sense now.

Cheers

Well we will wait with baited breath to see what tonight's tide may bring. A forty, what a lovely fish.

They've changed the way they post pics on the Tyee Club website and I'm not knowledgeable enough to copy them to here, but here's the link to the Catch Record section.

You can see the pics there.

http://www.tyeeclub.org/catch-records/

Now Randy has rowed a 30, 31 and 32 this season so far.

Wonder if he can fill in the rest? LOL

Take care.

Last edited:
Hey Dave,

I was wondering if you could talk a bit about how the plugs and spoons are rigged with the type of weights, swivels and leaders used.

I am sure a lot of that is top secret and differs from fisher to fisher, but what do guys do in general? Also, on the site it notes that some of the fish were caught on spoons. Are they using the heavier and larger brass / copper / nickel commercial type spoon, are are the guys running Coyotes or similar with UV and glow?

Love your thread, thanks for letting us live vicariously..

Love these reports!

Hey Dave,

I was wondering if you could talk a bit about how the plugs and spoons are rigged with the type of weights, swivels and leaders used.

I am sure a lot of that is top secret and differs from fisher to fisher, but what do guys do in general? Also, on the site it notes that some of the fish were caught on spoons. Are they using the heavier and larger brass / copper / nickel commercial type spoon, are are the guys running Coyotes or similar with UV and glow?

Love your thread, thanks for letting us live vicariously..

The spoons most commonly used are pictured here.

Size #8 is the favored size.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?33135-Gibbs-Stewart-Spoon-8-Wanted

Spoons and plugs are tied directly to the 20 lb test line and there are two or three different ways people use weights.

Most common is the simple slip-weight which the rower attaches after the initial number of "pulls" are made, then the second number is pulled.

Those numbers vary from rower to rower and are changed to accommodate the variety of conditions one observes.

When the fish strikes the line is pulled from the circular clip and the weight slides down the line to the plug or spoon.

Others use a sliding weight system, the name of which escapes me at the moment, but one lets out the number of pulls called for then retrieves the weight and lure together before letting the lure back out then pegging the weight in place with either a toothpick or a cribbage peg. Hard to find these days I'm told.

Don't know anyone who uses Coyote spoons here but I see guys using glow plugs now and then. Charge them up with a flashlight so they'll show a bit better. I've got a couple of them but mostly use matched Lucky Louie plugs that have taken Tyee before.

Hope this helps a bit.

Potluck night at the clubhouse tonite and only two boats attempted to fish. Didn't last long with a strong flood and a stronger following wind.

Almost the worst conditions available, but at least it's not raining. LOL

Take care.

P1120599-300x225.jpg

Dave, right click the pic and copy image url. When you are posting click the 3rd icon from the left that looks like a picture of a tree above where you are typing. Paste the url in the box that pops up and uncheck the box right below it.

I love this thread, it's nice to see the tradition is still alive. At some point I will have to pull out my wooden tyee rowboat fix her up and get back up to campbell river. My moms side of the family was the painters and my great grandfather was Ed painter who built the original tyee row boats. The last time I rowed the tyee pool I was 16 and we managed a couple of undersize fish. The lure we used a 5" 602 tubby tomic plug, seemed to work well. Such a cool fishery steeped in tradition. Thanks for keeping this thread updated Dave H.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?33135-Gibbs-Stewart-Spoon-8-Wanted

Spoons and plugs are tied directly to the 20 lb test line and there are two or three different ways people use weights.

Most common is the simple slip-weight which the rower attaches after the initial number of "pulls" are made, then the second number is pulled.

Those numbers vary from rower to rower and are changed to accommodate the variety of conditions one observes.

When the fish strikes the line is pulled from the circular clip and the weight slides down the line to the plug or spoon.

Others use a sliding weight system, the name of which escapes me at the moment, but one lets out the number of pulls called for then retrieves the weight and lure together before letting the lure back out then pegging the weight in place with either a toothpick or a cribbage peg. Hard to find these days I'm told.

Don't know anyone who uses Coyote spoons here but I see guys using glow plugs now and then. Charge them up with a flashlight so they'll show a bit better. I've got a couple of them but mostly use matched Lucky Louie plugs that have taken Tyee before.

Hope this helps a bit.

Potluck night at the clubhouse tonite and only two boats attempted to fish. Didn't last long with a strong flood and a stronger following wind.

Take care.

Hi Dave. My brother in law has a tyee row boat. I'd like to head up this year to go rowing in the pool. When would be a good time to do so this season?

Thanks for your reply.

Anytime from here on in has possibilities but hopefully there will be more fish arriving as we get along into September.

Labour Day weekend is as good a time as any methinks, so come on along and give her a shot.

And hi to Mikep from here.

You really should save that old wooden boat if you can. Restore it or have it done if you can.

Classic.

Take care.

Thanks for all the great input Dave. Good luck out there!

Hope this helps a bit.

Take care.

For Dave H: Sinker Slides

Perhaps this is the type you have difficulties finding: I use them for Mooching here on the "Dark side" of the border. Reference plugs for size are 7 inch and one 6 inch tubby. A tooth pick would fit nicely in the line hole to secure the slide at a distance from the lure.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Hey Dave, the boat is safely stored in a heated warehouse waiting it's return to the pool. No rot just needs a few coats of varnish and a little work to the bottom. It will leak like a a sive until the water swells the planks back tight. Apparently it was the last one my great grandpa made in 1947. Do you know how many are left Dave? It can't be that many now?

Hey Dave, the boat is safely stored in a heated warehouse waiting it's return to the pool. No rot just needs a few coats of varnish and a little work to the bottom. It will leak like a a sive until the water swells the planks back tight. Apparently it was the last one my great grandpa made in 1947. Do you know how many are left Dave? It can't be that many now?
Wow Mike, You gotta get some pics of that old timer on here. That is a piece of CR sport fishing history that needs to be shared! Might be something that Oak bay group might want to hang in painters lodge.

I'll do some serious asking about regarding remaining original Painter boats but I agree, it can't be many.

I know Randy has an old one 'cause he gave me crap for sitting down too hard in it one time. LOL

And those Sinker slides look interesting for sure.

Thanks for contributing here you guys. Really adds a lot to the thread.

Saw a 26 pounder caught tonite but don't know if anything else came in later after I left.

There was a 29 and a 27 this morning early also so there are fish around but seems like a lot of undersized ones so far.

Ah well.......

Take care.

More for Dave H:

PM your address to me and I will send a couple of packs of the slides.

Main line passes through the small hole:

ry%3D400

Rigged on the main line. The small soft tubing and red bead protect the knot. This is my standard mooching setup.

6 ounce sinker shown. For mooching, this arrangement allows quick changing of the sinker weight to match the depth and current. Most importantly, it allows less sinker drag when that big tyee is pecking at the bait and enables feeling the fish with the rod without the fish having to pick up the sinker.

Depending on current and depth, I may use a 8 or a 10 ounce sinker. I often fish the ledges here in over 200 feet of water, hopping the sinker along the bottom. Yes, there are big fish way down there right on the bottom! Proper use of the "mooching motor" is a key factor, I often am backing into the current. Big tides and the boat stays in the barn!

ry%3D400

With a tooth pick to allow spacing the sinker any distance from the swivel or the plug. Grabby end of the tooth pick and the snap prongs facing aft to avoid snagging sea weed. This system should be excellent for pulling plugs in the Tyee Pool.

ry%3D400

The mooching leader: Big ball bearing swivel at the main line, then about 4 feet of 25 pound, then a small ball bearing swivel, then about 2 feet of 20 pound to the hooks. Both swivels important to obtain the herring spin that I like. Only Sampo swivels, anything else is junk! The hooks are 2/0 front and 1/0 trail, Mustad 92553. Filed to razor blade sharpness. Note the pinched barbs: This is an old leader from about 1983. We were pinching barbs a long time ago here in the Port Angeles area for better hook penetration. Never lost a fish, most of the time the hook was buried up to the snell in the tongue or mouth roof, you gotta give the fish time to swallow the herring!! My "old School" rod is on a Lamiglass MB1143F blank, 9-1/2 feet long, E Glass. Anything shorter and less stiff and a guy fishing alone cannot net the fish. I have several Batson carbon fiber blanks that I will wrap up this winter and try mooching with. They range from 9 feet to 11 feet long.

ry%3D400

I would love to give this a try in the Campbell River area, might tow the boat up next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thanks very much for that Mako. I appreciate your offer but I'm pretty happy with the simplicity of the set-up I use so will stick with it.

One of the little problems encountered with the style I can't recall the name of and the method you use is that the weight doesn't release when the fish strikes.
The one system allows you to reel the weight down to where you can net the fish but often the guide must try to remove the peg so the weight slides free and that presents a problem insofar as the guide is not allowed to touch the line.
With the slip-weight method that's not a problem and the most important thing is that the line and weight go out in a straight line, without the line being looped over the weight.

Other than that it's almost fool-proof, although, like most things, it's not damn fool proof. LOL

Updates as to now are as follows:

Seven fish weighed yesterday, all undersize ranging from 20 to 29 pounds.

Four fish weighed this morning, three undersize and one at 31 1/2 pounds that was disqualified.

The disqualification arose when the rod-holder neglected to keep her thumb tight on the spool when she struck after the fish hit.

The drag was loose enough that an over-run happened which created a birds-nest tangle. In her frantic efforts to straighten things out she managed to loop some of the tangle around something hanging from her vest, tweezers perhaps, and in the end the guide had to take the rod, untangle the mess and then, finding the fish still hooked, he boated it.

Windy again last nite but still over 20 boats out fighting it plus the flood tide.

Wind's up again but hoping it will lay down later on.
My morning rod-holder backed out at 5:00 AM and went back to bed so I didn't get out this morning, but it looks like the AM show might be the way to go until conditions change here.

Thanks again you guys, your contributions are really appreciated by me, and others too I'm sure.

Good stuff.

Take care.

Back