Tales From The Tyee Pool.......2015

Thanks for the encouragements, much appreciated.

No new Tyee as at this AM and props to the nine rowers and their rodholders who braved the rain last nite until dark. My guy and I wimped out.

I'm waiting out the day before pumping out the boat for tonite's go out as there is still some chance of more rain and I hate pumping it out twice in the same day. LOL

Getting old and lazy.

Tight lines everyone.

Take care.

Stupid river-mouth sandbar anyway. Aaaaaaarrgh!!!

Lost one of my shovel-nose Lucky Louie plugs to my own lousy navigation tonite.

(sob)

Take care.

More than one hand involved in that most tragic event
Dave, we will find another to keep your pair going!

All may not be lost as Weighmaster Bob told me that one of the guys found a plug last nite and has it in hand.

I've phoned him and left a message in which I intimated all kinds of rewards and things if he'd return it............................it it's mine.

That's not a given as yet.

But hopefully..........................

I'm off shortly with another intrepid rod-holder so wish us luck.

Take care.

Alas, the plug found by Doug Ellis last nite turned out to not be the one we lost.
It was a Tomic and mine was not.

Also discovered from chatting with Randy that there was and is quite a bit more kelp growing around that area of the bar including into the area he favors a lot, which is where I was trying to put us last nite at last lite.

Ah well, I may have a neat sounding old spoon enroute from another of our most excellent members in the near future so I'll look forward to trying it out.

Quiet nite in the pool with no Pinks like last nite and no Tyee taken that I'm aware of.

Hopefully........................coming soon.

Take care.

Last nite I enlisted the help of intrepid rod-holder Dennis and my trusty wonder-dog Buddy to keep an eye out for the plug lost the nite before.

Buddy did a good job but I think Dennis was distracted by the sunset, judging by this pic.

Take care.

I love logging into this thread and taking a peak at what you traditionalists are doing .... very cool, my dad did it as a kid so to speak back in the 30's and 40's there, but their catches traded off to try to make ends meet. Tough times ..... and we think we have it tough ?

That said, I try to follow the catch reports year to year ......... is it just me or are there hardly any big ones left .... or is it just not being reported ?

Good luck to you all in THE POOL ....... so cool what your doing ..... Good luck to you all.

HT

Found a couple old plugs. Would they be useful to a tyee pool rower?

attachment.php

Attachments

• 01cf156a01f943cfa01d544894126a8d913e1d6375.jpg
    01cf156a01f943cfa01d544894126a8d913e1d6375.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 2,062
  • 017df2139faf207b514ddf0bf10c979c319d7b7ea2.jpg
    017df2139faf207b514ddf0bf10c979c319d7b7ea2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,035
Last edited by a moderator:
If they are 5" or 5 1/2" long they might interest someone but they would most likely require a re-painting as those colors aren't what's commonly used here.

Home-made paint jobs maybe on the red ends????

The green one looks like a shovel-nose in that side pic, but I'm far from an expert on plugs, believe me.

Just heard of a potential cache of plugs this very evening that really made my ears twitch though.

'Nuff said.

Take care.

You can tell fishing is slow when I start posting scenery shots, personality shots, excuses to bump the thread shots and, of course, I'm known to down a few shots too during those times, but not this time.

As to the personality shots, well rumour is that this guy will be moving and severely curtailing his guiding endeavours in the future, which means there will be one less hard-working expert rower to contend with out there. This year is the tenth year in his Tyee rowing career that he rowed the first fish of the season.
He's pretty good.

At times there can be a delightful symmetry as the different rowers jockey for favored positions. Had these guys both tilted their engines the same way, coordinated a few oar-strokes together, had their rods in their holders better aligned, hung their nets decently and sat up straight I might have had a picture of that................delightful symmetry I mean.

Instead I have this.

Take care.

It was a dark and stormy night.

So last evening I took out a couple of rookie rod-holders named George.

Senior is from Ontario and visiting so this was a bit of a "bucket list" event for him and Jr. made great company and helped Dad as required, whilst doing a fine job of fishing himself.

Alas, I started us off badly by rowing out at the north end of the pool, somehow oblivious to the combination of SE wind and ebbing tide current which should have alerted me to stay away from the bar.

I've been stuck there before. (sigh)

After a wasted 15 minutes or so I did the only sensible thing and rowed back to the beach where George Jr. flashed up our trusty engine and we motored down to where we should have started.
DUH!!!

We set up nicely south of most of the pack and slowly back-trolled our way northward through the pool, deftly dodging everyone as they all held position much easier than I'm able to in my slightly higher and heavier boat. I thought the plugs were working well and tried to stay focussed on the rods as they wiggle-wobbled the message as to the actions of the plugs, working away in the depths, but I did notice it getting darker all around us.

South of us the skies grew darker and then a very large area of rain became visible, particularly when it was momentarily backlit by a large lightning flash way off to the southeast of us.

The thunder was faint and took some time to he heard, so it wasn't that close to us, but the rain seemed to be closing in and a few drops were being felt.
The drops increased as did my concern for the Georges as neither had raingear with them and I didn't want them to get caught out and be sitting in a rowboat in the wind whilst being wet.
In addition I'd been rowing steadily for and hour and a half and the wind was still a factor which meant there would be no rest for the rower should we stay out.

We decided that I'd drop them off on the beach at the clubhouse, where the family waited, and I'd take the boat home.

We managed to land them safely and dry for the most part and I motored down the spit to my mooring spot.
By the time I'd put the boat and gear away and returned to the clubhouse the wind had died, the rain had ceased and the water smoothed out just like that.

There were also two boats hooked up and fighting fish while the other diehards worked their way back and forth hoping to get bit too.

Two minutes later the third cry of "Fish on!" rang out and another rower scurried for the outside as the rod-holder hung on for dear life, no doubt grinning like a madman.

So, between starting off badly and then abandoning the pool early, just before a "bite" came on and things cleared up, it was not my most glorious moment. LOL

In the end there were two fish weighed last night, a 20 and a 27. The other was lost at boat-side so shall remain a "might have been" only.

This morning there was a short bite resulting in two under-sizes weighed in, so we're still at one Tyee only.

Maybe we'll change that tonight.

At least I know where I'm NOT going to start, if nothing else.

Take care.

Link to a must read thread....in case you missed it.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...edition-From-reverie-to-pucker-and-back-again

Last edited:
We have Tyee number two!!

This morning at 6:00 AM a 32 pounder was registered by none other than Randy K again with his trusty rod-holder Mr. Dale Kashuba, no stranger to the talents of Randy and the vagaries of the fishery.

It also appears that aside from Randy hogging all the Tyee this year he's going to be a show-off by catching them in incremental weight increases also.

31 pounds, 32 pounds, etc. LOL

Anyway, it's encouraging given how slow it's been until now.

Maybe tonite.

Here's Randy and Chris with the first of the year.

tyee-aug-6.jpg

Take care.

Unfortunately.

And you know what that means.

Take care.

Dave,

What does it mean? I am truly ignorant of impacts of cruise ships on the CR area. Do they effect the fishing? Or is it the bombardment of touristas in CR?

I believe what Dave means is that another scenic shot as opposed to one of a tyee equals no fish weighed in on last night's tide.

Too true Teal.

Take care,

Back