Tales From The Tyee Pool.......2014....

Thanks for sharing your pics Rob and we'll put that 275B to work very soon, hopefully.

Take care.

Last nite found yours truly and third year apprentice rodholders Rob and Angela touring the pool, towing a couple of plugs just in case.

Halfway thru we noticed a boat from the south end heading resolutely towards the Clubhouse, as if they had a fish aboard.

We were a bit surprised as we had heard no cry of FISH ON!! nor noticed any boat outside the pool with an angler fighting a fish.

We were caught up in the ebb tide and I was rowing steadily even as we slowly slipped backwards, backtrolling towards the bar, when we saw one of the guys lift a dark fish from the boat and carry it to the scale. Watching closely it appeared to have made weight, judging from the audibles, and shortly thereafter we heard three good rings on the bell.

Turns out the angler was Bob Main, newest member of the Tyee Club, and he was rowed by Martin Buchanan, now a successful Rookie Rower as this was his first Tyee rowed.

Here's the happy couple with their catch.

9thTyee-2014-med.jpg

This morning I found out why we hadn't noticed it being caught as it was hooked way south of the pool beside the old Argonaut Wharf, (now Nystar) early in the evening before most people were out. They had missed one upon arriving there initially so stayed there and hooked their fish a bit later, almost at high tide.
Examining the fish it appears to be one that has ventured up into the estuary once or twice, using up energy and body mass in the process, before dropping out and down in the flood tide to where Bob and Martin hooked it. It was 42" long and in prime shape would have been a mid 30's fish weight-wise, were it not so mature.

Sadly, this is indicative that no new fish have shown up, but we'll be out again tonite, just in case.

Good going to Bob, who was too excited to ring the bell himself I'm told so directed Martin to do it, and to Martin too.

Apparently the plug was a recent gift to Bob from his brother, a commercial fisherman, and was given with the instructions to try it out as it had caught a lot of fish before, specially late in the season.

Magic plug or flukey coincidence??

Who knows??

That's fishing. LOL

Take care.

Dave since you said it was caught way south of the pool, does it not count as a registered Tyee? Are there specific boundaries that have to be adhered to? And, if so...was there a scandal resulting in the rookie getting stripped of his badge?

Nope.

Read the rules.

1. To be eligible for membership in The Tyee Club of British Columbia and for any of the Tyee Club's buttons or awards, an angler must fish in accordance with these Rules and Regulations and in accordance with the current Department of Fisheries and Oceans Regulations.

2. Qualifying fish must be taken from the waters of Discovery Passage bounded on the north by Seymour Narrows and on the south by a line extending due west from Cape Mudge.

3. The Tyee Club fishing season each year begins on July 15th and ends on September 15th except as may be modified by regulations issued by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.

4. No more than two qualifying fish may be taken in one day. Season limits are those of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. A qualifying fish is a salmon taken in accordance with these Rules and regulations and weighing at least 30 pounds.

Take care.

Nope.

Read the rules.

1. To be eligible for membership in The Tyee Club of British Columbia and for any of the Tyee Club's buttons or awards, an angler must fish in accordance with these Rules and Regulations and in accordance with the current Department of Fisheries and Oceans Regulations.

2. Qualifying fish must be taken from the waters of Discovery Passage bounded on the north by Seymour Narrows and on the south by a line extending due west from Cape Mudge.

3. The Tyee Club fishing season each year begins on July 15th and ends on September 15th except as may be modified by regulations issued by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.

4. No more than two qualifying fish may be taken in one day. Season limits are those of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. A qualifying fish is a salmon taken in accordance with these Rules and regulations and weighing at least 30 pounds.

Take care.

Thanks for the rules. Based on your stats from 1945 and a roughly 60 day season should rule No.4 not read:

No more than two qualifying fish may be taken in one day, per angler. Season limits are those of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. A qualifying fish is a salmon taken in accordance with these Rules and regulations and weighing at least 30 pounds.

I would hate to be out there rowing and hear the bell rung twice and pack it in... :)

Do you guys release anything under 30 pds?

Some people do and some don't.

If the fish looks close then it's killed and weighed but if it's an obvious under and still wanted for food there is nothing wrong with taking it.

Take care.

Didn't touch a thing last nite but definitely won the Best Looking Rodholders Trophy.

Here's another selfie from Sharon, the blonde including Diane and yours truly.

It's a tough row but somebody's gotta do it. LOL

Take care.

Didn't touch a thing last nite but definitely won the Best Looking Rodholders Trophy.

Here's another selfie from Sharon, the blonde including Diane and yours truly.

It's a tough row but somebody's gotta do it. LOL

Take care.

Ok I'll bite.... Ya its probably good you didn't touch a thing with a crew like that Dave!!

It's over!!

And what a letdown year it was fish-wise, with the end total being but nine.
Looks like the first fish of the year will be the biggest so hats off to Troy and Mike as Troy is Tyee Man for 2014 and Mike, with two Tyee will trophy also.

Link to Catch Record:

http://www.tyeeclub.org/2014-catch-record.htm

You have all enjoyed the same weather as we have so it's been awesome for that this year, but no fish held in the pool and the reason(s) have yet to clearly be identified.
As always, time will tell us.

Here's a few pics to end the year with plus I'd like to thank everyone who tried for a Tyee with me this year, first-timers, second-timers and my faithful third year apprentices, Rob and Angela. Once again I met some really interesting and neat people and this year, for some reason, I had all kinds of great things happen to me, and mostly despite my protestations too. My deepest and most heartfelt thanks for the gifts bestowed and be prepared for a very spiffy set-up for next year as I'll have matching Richmake one piece Tyee rods with matching Daiwa 275B reels, all courtesy of friends and/or my rod-holding crews.

Just need to figure out what the heck to do out there with them.

Anyway, here's what we all want to ring, except for Bob Main, number nine Tyee catcher this year who made his rower ring it for him. He was so excited he was afraid he'd screw it up.

I saw him tonite and he was still excited.

Here are Rob at the helm bringing us in and Angela checking her pics just three nites ago.
The thumbs up is because I managed to not swamp the boat even once this year....................or something.
Can't be for my success as a rower, that's for sure. LOL

The last nite always has a few decorated boats out and there is always a bit of an international flavor about the whole scene too, given the visitors from around the world who come here.

Tonite saw a very small flood with the hot rowers hanging off the end of the bar, where there were no fish, while the rest of us covered the rest of the pool diligently........where there were no fish also, and between all of us we managed to catch no fish, as one might expect.

And there must have been a big number of combined years of experience and knowledge out there tonite too, given who was out.

Beautiful conditions too.

We might as well end with a sunset, typical of so many this beautiful summer and in this case symbolic of the end of the Tyee season for 2014.

We'll get'em next year.

Take care.

Thank you Dave H for letting me tag along, through this thread, in your adventures this season.
Your are truly a asset for Campbell River. Take Care.
GLG

Thank you Dave, for the opportunity to be rowed, in the traditional Tyee Pool.
Although we were un rewarded with a Tyee, at least we tied with most of the others who spent time in the Pool this year.
It was indeed a pleasure to partake in an event, with you, that I have read about for many, many years, and now I have been part of it.
Looking forward to next season,
Stay safe and healthy!
Lure-washer

Dave - I enjoyed reading your tales even if the tales of fish were few and far between.

Lure washer - not only did you tie with most others, you came in tied for 10th! ;-)

Dave - I enjoyed reading your tales even if the tales of fish were few and far between.

Lure washer - not only did you tie with most others, you came in tied for 10th! ;-)

Good thinking amigo and I don't know why I didn't come up with that myself.

All my rodholders made the top 10 this year then???

Geeze, I'm an awesome rower. LMAO

Thanks for the kind words and it was truly my pleasure both rowing some of you and doing this thread and I'm already looking forward to next year.

Lastly, I forgot to mention we had another little Orca show last nite as they passed by heading south. Hard to tell exactly how many but four or six or thereabouts.

Seemed to be more whale sightings here this year, perhaps related to the huge pink and sockeye runs.

All the very best to all of you going forward.

Here's the winning combo, Troy Winslow and rower Mike Mackie with the first fish and also the biggest fish.
Geeze things looked good after they caught this one. But..........

Take care.

I agree a very interesting thread. Something on my bucket list to be lucky enough to make the 30 pound plus club one day.

Back