Tales From The Tyee Pool.......2014....

I hear tonight is the night?

I hear that newbies have go skinny dipping at the end of their first evening fishing the Tyee Pool...Make sure your rod holder this evening knows the rules

Dave H:- is the "The Goose' still rowing...or has he retired?

I can't say I've seen him out this year but I haven't heard about him retiring either.

I'll find out and let you know.

Take care.

As for tonite, it was absolutely lovely out and we all had a great time.

The quiet reverie was broken but once by that Mike Mackie guy who had his Mother hooked up near dark.

It turned out to be a miniscule little thing so no Tyee again.

Brian and I did our bit for conservation by not hassling any fish at all, even after I did my best to conjure up a Dogfish too.

And you know, I WAS going to enforce the "skinny-dipping rule for newbies" on him but wouldn't ya know it, it was the AGM Potluck get-together and BS session tonite and Brian was a bit shy in front of so many people.

Finally, having failed at catching a salmon tonite does NOT mean I have no picture for you.

So, here's me and my guide dog Buddy heading out some time ago.

I don't know why I look so glum. LOL

Take care.

Well, my first foray into the "pool" has partially removed the bucket list item but, alas, the catching of a Tyee to complete the process will have to wait for another day! In spite of the lack of fish catching the experience of being out with all those small craft quietly jockeying around in the currents was amazing. The feeling of holding the rod while the spoon is working away and the anticipation of a potential 30 plus fish striking at any moment is something you don't get to experience in most fisheries. A big thanks to Dave for rowing me on my inaugural trip and for sharing your passion for fishing through your stories and photos in this thread. For now, like most others on the forum, I will have to live vicariously through the people you write about who are fortunate enough to hook into one of those magnificent beasts!

Here is a shot of the man himself readying his beautiful, handcrafted boat for the adventure!

Dave's Boat.jpg

The "Goose" is alive and well and rowing, he's a little more bent over, but the same high quality BS as ever. The guy is a CR treasure.

A new "Tyee Club Year Book" 2008-2013 is available at the clubhouse . It is loaded with history and cool stats. Check out the list of who has caught one. one example "Mr Harpo Marx of Beverly Hills California, 43lbs in 1947" .....very cool. How about guide Hebe Smith rowing 39 tyees in one season?

It has rules, regs, history, and is really well done.

Full color pics including a couple of great ones on pages 52 and 53. (Look for the man in the black hat.)

$15 bucks if you are not an active member, or free if you've paid up for the year. (at the clubhouse in CR) and rumours that it will be available online later this year.

The "Goose" is alive and well and rowing, he's a little more bent over, but the same high quality BS as ever. The guy is a CR treasure.

A new "Tyee Club Year Book" 2008-2013 is available at the clubhouse . It is loaded with history and cool stats. Check out the list of who has caught one. one example "Mr Harpo Marx of Beverly Hills California, 43lbs in 1947" .....very cool. How about guide Hebe Smith rowing 39 tyees in one season?

It has rules, regs, history, and is really well done.

Full color pics including a couple of great ones on pages 52 and 53. (Look for the man in the black hat.)

$15 bucks if you are not an active member, or free if you've paid up for the year. (at the clubhouse in CR) and rumours that it will be available online later this year.

Thanks for the info on Bruce and in a coincidental action I just bought two copies of the yearbook and was reading through it up to two minutes ago.

Great little book and worth every penny if you like history and neat little stories.

I love the one about how Rule F[f] came about.

The rule??

No shooting of fish allowed.

Buy the book to find out why THAT rule came about..........or be a patient person and I'll share it at the end of the season.

Great story.

And it was my pleasure having Brian in the boat and then today I met his brother and they saw a new 30 pounder come in.
Caught by "German" Mike on a gold spoon during the early flood it was a nice fish, although badly scarred by sea lice both sides of the caudal.

Crap!! Now I'm hijacking my own thread. LOL

But they were plentiful for sure.

Take care.

Alas, since Brian was here to witness Mike's 30 the other day there have been no new Tyee registered.
44 boats last nite with one Ling caught.
23 boats this morning with one undersize caught and a couple other fish lost.
Here's a couple more pics just to top this thread.

Note gold spoon by his left hand.

Here's another taken just at twilight time shortly before heading in.
It's never easy to end a session on nites like this, even with no fish caught.

And here's the man himself trying to knock me into the water with his erratic driving.
I think he thought he could have my boat all to himself if I fell out. LOL

'Twas a pleasure meeting Brian and touring him around the Tyee Pool.

Tours are all I've been able to produce so far but nobody else is slaying them so I'm even with the fleet more or less.

Take care.

Early Sunday PM and the hardcore are out hanging spoons, but it certainly appears there are very few fish in the pool right now, based on results to date.

Much conversation about the lack of fish too and one of the ideas is that maybe "our" Chinook are still north of the massive numbers of sockeye that are moving this way.
Factor in the lack of fresh water output from every river/stream/creek on the coast that salmon use to home in on and there are a couple of possible reasons for the really slow start here.

Last nite I rowed lure-washer and his daughter Rita around the pool a few times and we did exactly the same as everyone else did, NADA.
Had a good workout the first hour as we had the wind and current combination that makes you row pretty hard to troll northward but with the wind pushing you south the return tack was a breeze. (Pun intended.)
The last hour and into "magic time" was everything one could hope for, sadly minus any fish.

Here's a pic for effect.

Totally enjoyed my rodholders last nite although they were extremely overly generous and threatened me unless I took some "gas money" from them at the end of the nite.

I relunctantly accepted and thanked them profusely, as was warranted.

They left and I walked over to my truck to go home.

There was a parking ticket tucked under my wiper blade.

Turns out it was THAT Rita and she's always on the meter.

Who knew??

Take care.

The Rodholders enjoyed the experience, beyond words, and were anything but generous, considering the care and attention Dave provides to what is obviously what he loves to do. Catching a Tyee would really be the icing on the cake, but there is a lot more to it than catching.
Thanks Dave,
Lure-washer

The Rodholders enjoyed the experience, beyond words, and were anything but generous, considering the care and attention Dave provides to what is obviously what he loves to do. Catching a Tyee would really be the icing on the cake, but there is a lot more to it than catching.
Thanks Dave,
Lure-washer

Yes an evening out there is priceless, Dave is an awesome host/rower. I always feel guilty sitting back enjoying the sunset, scenery and lights of the boats at dark. Cant wait for our shot during the last week of the season, maybe thats the ticket??

Yes an evening out there is priceless, Dave is an awesome host/rower. I always feel guilty sitting back enjoying the sunset, scenery and lights of the boats at dark. Cant wait for our shot during the last week of the season, maybe thats the ticket??

For sure we'll get you out again Rob.

I've set aside a couple of days in Sept. for you guys.

Call you later.

And thanks for the kind words.
I appreciate them and will try to live p to them too.

Take care.

Another brief update with the same scenario in place I'm afraid.
Whenever a Tyee shows up, somebody catches it. LOL

In this case it was Brett Gardner who lucked out with longtime rower Ken (Crashboat) Marr on the oars.

The fish weighed in at 33 1/2 lbs and fell for a plug.

Tyee-7-2014-med.jpg

Earlier tonite a 32 was registered and I have a pic in my camera but not downloaded as yet.

New Tyee Club member Bill Monaghan was rowed by veteran Dan Plamondon and as a personal witness to the event I can tell you it was one helluva good scrapper as we saw it leap three times right after they hooked it up off the corner of the bar and then it took off.
A couple of minutes later they were opposite the clubhouse but still chasing the fish out into the channel.
It wasn't long before they were way south of us, carried by the slowing flood and even further out towards Quadra chasing still.
Two or three speeding powerboats passed way inside of them and still well outside the pool and we watched with binoculars until finally seeing the net come out...........for the first time.
A few minutes later we saw it again, but apparently the fish did too and streaked away again.

Third time is charm and so finally Dan secured the beauty inside the nets embrace and high fives and hoots were exchanged.

But nothing since then and we're all hoping they are indeed behind the sockeye masses and lingering as there is little in the way of freshwater output right now to allow them to "smell" their home very well.
Maybe they know there is little water right now.

Anyway, had a needed nite off tonite but back at 'er tomorrow.

Until then.........

Take care.

As threatened, here's a pic of the last Tyee registered by new member Mr. Monoghan, on left, rowed by Mr. Plamondon, on right.

8th-Tyee-2014-med.jpg

Nothing new since then unless someone snared one this past hour.

Last nite saw yours truly do a terrible job of rowing with the result my two great rodholders left skunked...........as did every other rodholder in the pool.

Anyway, sooner or later another one will show up and someone will catch it.

Until then.........

Take care.

Back