Strapping your boat to the trailer--best way

Tsquared

Yesterday we were strapping up the boat after hauling it out at Anglers ramp when it was suggested to us that the way we were strapping the boat to the trailer might be hard on the trailer. We hook a strap to the trailer frame then over the gunnels across the stern and hook onto the trailer frame on the other side of the boat. This guy showed us his boat and trailer--which were new to him. His aluminum trailer showed signs of a repaired crack in the frame which he said was due to the previous owner strapping the boat to the trailer the same way we were. He suggested a better method would be to only strap one corner down in the stern. (and of course it would be attached to the winch at the bow) This, he said, would provide more flex and prevent the kind of crack in the trailer that he showed us. This is the first I have heard of this--has anyone else had similar problems to what he described?
T2

I run a- tie down strap on each side of the rear of the trailer to the cleat on the back of the boat.
As long as thy are not cinched down too tight , I can't see it causing any harm.

I have a very heavy boat and I use the same as poppa swiss-plus I run a 6000lb cargo strap over the bow cleats to keep the nose from bouncing-also helps keep it snug to the forward bow roller. Seems to me if you are causing cracks in a trailer frame then there is too much stress at that point-probably cinched down too tight. If you are using stern straps the force is along the trailer(-preventing the boat from sliding back)whereas if you go across the gunnel the force is vertical and directly onto the frame-perhaps on a rough road this may cause a problem.

yes......I have often wondered about the effectiveness of having a front gunnel strap as well as using the front winch strap at the same time.

If you have to ram the brakes on or collide wth something on the highway.....the rear tiedowns would break the cleats off when the boat goes rocketing forward.

The front winch strap hooks would probably break too...and the boat is airborne over your truck....and you watch it hurtle skyward and touch down for a landing on the road (or vehicle) in front of you.

I think an extra strap over the gunnel might help in preventing this.......takes some of the pressure off the flimsy front U-bolt on the front of the boat......I dunno......

Back